Aircrafts at Night

Hello,

In these days I'm giving a new look to the *_L.BMP files
of my AI aircrafts, due to let them look better lightened during
night time.
But some days ago I discovered that even if in FS Repaint by
Abacus they look perfect in the dark, showing the illuminated
parts, in the simulator (FS2004) thay still looked completely black.

Does anyone have a clue?

Question 2:

I sent an e-mail to the author of DXTbmp because I had the
same problem in FS Repaint: the *_L.BMP texture file was
correct in DXTbmp but the aircraft looked black in FS Repaint,
and I thought it could have been a problem with the Alpha channel
in the BMP file.
He answered me that the problem was standing in the *.MDL
file that didn't refer to the *_L.BMP, but only to the *_T.BMP
and the *_D.BMP.
Does anyone know how to change these parameters in the *.MDL file?

Thank you all.

C'è un tempo per la Diplomazia,
e c'è un tempo per l'Azione... il tempo per
la Diplomazia è finito!
Paolo Vittorini
vitto_69@aliceposta.it
vitto_69@tin.it

ICQ: 58758046
MSN: jet_ranger_69@hotmail.com

GREGORY

On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:06:23 GMT, "Han Solo" <vitto_69@aliceposta.it>
brought the following to our attention:

>Hello,
>
>In these days I'm giving a new look to the *_L.BMP files of my
>AI aircrafts, due to let them look better lightened during night time.
>But some days ago I discovered that even if in FS Repaint by
>Abacus they look perfect in the dark, showing the illuminated
>parts, in the simulator (FS2004) thay still looked completely black.
>
>Does anyone have a clue?

The *_L.bmp textures for AI look normal in FS2002 as viewed in DXTBmp.

As a reference.. see table near top (between 3rd and 4th paragraph) of
this tutorial page for night texture lighting convention.

http://www.calclassic.com/repaint5.htm

If the *_L.bmp textures still look ok.. then it may be a question of
"how to turn on the lights in AI planes".. or "where's the switch?"
Not sure if the MDL file gets involved.. but may stand corrected.

-Gregory

On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:06:23 GMT, Han Solo wrote:

> I sent an e-mail to the author of DXTbmp because I had the
> same problem in FS Repaint: the *_L.BMP texture file was
> correct in DXTbmp but the aircraft looked black in FS Repaint,
> and I thought it could have been a problem with the Alpha channel
> in the BMP file.
> He answered me that the problem was standing in the *.MDL
> file that didn't refer to the *_L.BMP, but only to the *_T.BMP
> and the *_D.BMP.
> Does anyone know how to change these parameters in the *.MDL file?

There is no way to change the .mdl file.

Pre-FS9 models would automatically "assume" the existence of an _L.bmp
(lightmask file) if the _T.bmp extension was used on the texture filename.

The FS9 MakeMDL.exe now requires that the _L.bmp filename be explicitly
specified in the "Self-Illumination" slot of the GMax Material applied to
the a/c part.

Bill

sorry no i don't but i too have problem, so can anybody help us?? mine is
FS2k2