marginalclue

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I can't believe that for all the times I posted about the system I was putting together, no one could bring themselves to tell me that the A8N-SLI boards and the Venice cores don't work well together. Specifically, that the only memory divider that works is 333 MHz, and if you want to clock the CPU over 2.4 you need RAM that can be overclocked or runs faster than pc3200. Oh well. Caveat emptor, I suppose.

drumma_boy

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Cool, so i just bought a 3500+ venice core (i think) and an A8N-SLI. Haven't set it up yet though.
So what's the problem with the two together? Is there a real noticable lag? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I can't believe that for all the times I posted about the system I was putting together, no one could bring themselves to tell me that the A8N-SLI boards and the Venice cores don't work well together. Specifically, that the only memory divider that works is 333 MHz, and if you want to clock the CPU over 2.4 you need RAM that can be overclocked or runs faster than pc3200. Oh well. Caveat emptor, I suppose.

wait new pc and your not getting 3200 RAM or higher, only a idiot would do that.... :p

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

wait new pc and your not getting 3200 RAM or higher, only a idiot would do that.... :p no juanes would do that :lol:

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

First off, I never saw your Original questions, so I couldn't help you there. Although I've never heard of only the 333MHz divider working, since A64s are based on a 200MHz clock.

For Future reference, to overclock any appreciable amount, you ALWAYS need better quality RAM. not necessarily faster than PC3200, but higher quality, generally with lower timings.

BTW, I have never tried A8N-SLI boards, but I have herad of quite a few compatibility issues that they have.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
...you know we also blow...

LOL, there isn't an 'issue' with those cpu's either. That's what we call a ID - 10.t error here at work...but to each his own.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006

As far as I know, the A8N-SLI and Venice cores DO work well together. You're doing something wrong. I suggest reading the manual that came with your board and make sure you know what your adjusting (CPU BUS, Voltage, Memory Timings....etc). If you plan on overclocking you do need to buy quality PC3200 RAM or RAM that's been rated for higher bus speeds (PC3500, 3700 etc..)

mpjesse

Splendid
Hey highspeed, did ya actually try telling the BIOS to run the RAM at 200/400mhz (DDR)?

My A8N-SLI Premium initially tries to run my RAM at 333mhz. But all u gotta do is tell it to run at 400mhz.

BTW, there's a BIOS update to fix that. So chill out. Venice and A8N work fine together.

-mpjesse

marginalclue

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Apparently, you guys are masochists -- I got more of a response with that post than all the others combined. I do have DDR400 RAM, but it is not particularly overclockable. Guess I should have gone with 1GB of expensive over 2GB of value that supposedly ran at 2.5-3-2-5 (I learned a valuable lesson: the asshats on New Egg aren't reliable reviewers). I upped the CPU to 240 MHz (10x mult., 4x HTT), which is why I dropped the RAM divider to 333. My system is 18.5h Prime stable at 2.4 GHz, so it's not the end of the world. My RAM timings are 2.5-4-3-7-1T. I have all the latest BIOS and nForce updates. And as far as my extensive research can determine, very few A8N-SLI boards (vanilla, deluxe, premium) will boot with a CPU freq. over 240 using anything but a 1:1 divider, no matter what you do: up the RAM or CPU voltages, drop the HTT or the multiplier, loosen up the RAM timings or pray for divine intervention. I'm just salty because my E4 Venice is running at 2.4 on 1.39 to 1.42 volts without breaking a sweat. Then again, maybe it wouldn't run at 2.8 or 3.0 on 1.5 or 1.55v as I'd like to believe. :D

If you think I can get there (with some premium DDR500, maybe), let me know how... or flame away some more (I like it too).

dingy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
You sound like you are running with 2GB in a 4x512 config. There is a K N O W N issue with DDR400 timing with a 4x512 config on the Asus board. It isn't a bug. Rather, it has to do with the memory controller. I am sure that if you ran in 2x512, you'd find that you (should) get your DDR400 timings.

A couple of your problems seem to be that you believe everything that is said (e.g. Newegg reviews), and you didn't seem to consult the memory tables for your motherboard on the Asus website (part of RTFM for the mobo). You have to learn that you have to understand the nuts and bolts a bit more before purchasing. I also echo what pyrix and tcdude said...

If you are using 4x512 you are guaranteed ONLY DDR333 (in most cases) if you don't run specifrically what Asus recommends. Since there have been so many discussion on the 4x512 issue, I elected to stay away from that configuration myself.

So, do yourself a favor - RTFM (at least on the website - and don't forget to check the memory table), do a Google or two and buy some GOOD memory. I am using 2x1GB OCZ Platinum at DDR400 (with the same core), and haven't noticed a hiccup. Granted, the memory will cost you - but - you do get what you pay for.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

No, you don't need faster than ddr400 ram to oc a processor.

By the way, the venice's require a BIOS UPDATE!!

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
If you are running 4 sticks of ram... No matter WHAT you do you will be forced to 333 MHZ. It's a flaw in the A64 Memory controller.

That would most likely be the major issue.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
FU and the horse you rode in on! (just to add some flame!)

That said, have you seen how many people post their proposed build specs on here??! I usually don't reply to such threads because there are so many and everybody has their own opinions. Do you always take the advice of strangers with no regard to legitimacy?

While I myself am still stuck in the dark ages and can't witness to the fact personally, but I've seen plenty of A8N boards in reviews and such running just fine at DDR400 with a Venice core. Do you have 4 dimms as Dingy suggested? If so you're screwed as it is the Athlon's memory controller that's whack, not the mobo.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
...you know we also blow...

LOL, there isn't an 'issue' with those cpu's either. That's what we call a ID - 10.t error here at work...but to each his own.

Hahhahahaha we have the same issue where I work, PEBKAC baby! :wink:

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
If you are running 4 sticks of ram... No matter WHAT you do you will be forced to 333 MHZ. It's a flaw in the A64 Memory controller.

That would most likely be the major issue.

Thats not true anymore. Most BIOS updates erase that, I have 4x512 running at 400 MHz with no problems. The issue now is that they are forced to go to a 2T command rate, which moots the point of buying faster RAM.

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

I had no problems running a Venice with A8N-SLI and A8N-SLI Deluxe. 3200+ and 3700+ all ran fine and OC pretty high, but I keep it at middle tier of like 2.4/ 2.5 ish

If your DDR400 is coming up as 333, just go into the bios to adjust that. FYI, 4 sticks can only do 333 and overclocking ram is also a different story.

Preecher

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Is it just 4x512 thats a problem??... I mean, is 4x1024 cool? Or is it just when you have all 4 slots filled that your timings are crippled?

Thanks ^^

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Is it just 4x512 thats a problem??... I mean, is 4x1024 cool? Or is it just when you have all 4 slots filled that your timings are crippled?

Thanks ^^
Any 4 dimm configuration on any machine will cause memory speed problems and 1T timings. The only board immune to this is the DFI CF-DR, which can run 4 dimms at 1T.

Preecher

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Wait... its a motherboard problem or a cpu problem? Sorry, just want to be clear. Some other posts lead me to believe it was an AMD chip issue.

Cheers