sweex

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Hello all!
I posted this on NVidia forum, but didn't get much help. Maybe better luck here?
Recently i bought Asus A8N-E mobo, and of course ran into problems when using p2p software or just downloading files (i even was unable to download newest NForce chipset drivers from NVidia homepage - they arrived different every time ) with ActiveArmor and Offloading enabled. I searched internet and found out, that there are lots of people with exactly the same problems. So i wanted to know if there is anybody out there, who:
uses p2p software (eMule, DC++, BitTorrent...);
have ActiveArmor enabled
and does NOT have any problems with corrupt files, BSOD's or freezes.

My system is:
Asus A8N-E
Athlon 64 3000+
1 gig of Kingston RAM
80 Gb Samsung HD080HJ
GeForce 6800GS
All latest drivers

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
Um, no one here with problems? Or no one with NForce4 chipset based motherboard? :roll:

I've got the exact same motherboard, but had problems with the firewall software installed... long story short I removed it. It was just plain horrible. Was it nice? Yeah. Was it functioning correctly? No, glitchy as heck.

skoya

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Yeah I have had similar problems. Ultimately disabled all the nvidia stuff and disabled apache from running and stuck with the windows firewall.

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I never even considers using it. There are so many complaints about it I left it well alone.
Just use a software firewall like zone alarm

Also I did not need it becasue of my router but thats not the point.

sweex

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Actually, why am i asking this? I really want to hear a word from NVidia, because i don't believe they don't know about this problem. And if they know, then they are selling hardware they know is defective. Maybe Toms Hardware can write an article about how to get this to work? :wink:

Thy_Mercenary

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I do not have the same mobo, but indeed did have the same problem. I have a abit Fatal1ty AN8-SLI. I originally installed the nvidia network manager and come to find out dont do that. :( I trouble shooted my system for a week before I found the problem. I was having a problem with some software hanging, even forcing a reboot. Also, about 9 out of 10 downloaded software (drivers, utilities, benchmark software etc.) would fail on install saying corrupt file among other things. I finally started to delete one program after another and the problem was resolved after I deleted nvidia network manager. Delete anything that has to do with the nvidia chipset besides the drivers and I bet it will fix your problem. Let me know.. (V)erc

HA_ZEE

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Just bought a Asus A8N-E. Was glad I read this BEFORE installing all the wonderful software included with the motherboard. Thanks for the heads up.

sweex

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I do not have the same mobo, but indeed did have the same problem. I have a abit Fatal1ty AN8-SLI. I originally installed the nvidia network manager and come to find out dont do that. :( I trouble shooted my system for a week before I found the problem. I was having a problem with some software hanging, even forcing a reboot. Also, about 9 out of 10 downloaded software (drivers, utilities, benchmark software etc.) would fail on install saying corrupt file among other things. I finally started to delete one program after another and the problem was resolved after I deleted nvidia network manager. Delete anything that has to do with the nvidia chipset besides the drivers and I bet it will fix your problem. Let me know.. (V)erc
Actually i know that i have to disable the ActiveArmor. But the problem is, i've paid my money for a product, that is advertised as stable and secure. But it turns out that here is no ONE who has the system working as intended. I can't imagine how their quality control passed it thru (if they have such). And i am really curious, what NVidia is going to do about this. Or will they just play dead?

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I don't think nVidia is going to do anything. They have had issues with active armor and the firewall from the very beginning. It's just like the so called 'pure video' stuff. It's a nice idea but it never works properly at best or degrades performance in most cases.

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Just a note to say that at least one person has the nvidia firewall and all associated nvidia stuff working.

This is a new build last November on a Chaintech VNF4, AMD 3500+, XP Pro, Chaintech 6600 video.

It has worked perfectly from day one. I updated the nvidia drivers to the latest about 2 weeks ago, but the older ones worked fine.

In task manager I can recognize the following as being nvidia executables:

nsvcappflt

nsvcip

nsvclog

ntrayfw

nvsvc32

The firewall is integrated with the XP firewall. The default setting is to let nvidia monitor all ethernet traffic in and out, and XP to monitor all application activity.

I have seen very few posts about the nvidia firewall. I was beginning to think I was about the only one using it.

Sorry to hear so many people can't get it to work.

I didn't have to do anything but load the install CD and it worked.

-Bob

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Just a note to say that at least one person has the nvidia firewall and all associated nvidia stuff working.

This is a new build last November on a Chaintech VNF4, AMD 3500+, XP Pro, Chaintech 6600 video.

It has worked perfectly from day one. I updated the nvidia drivers to the latest about 2 weeks ago, but the older ones worked fine.

In task manager I can recognize the following as being nvidia executables:

nsvcappflt

nsvcip

nsvclog

ntrayfw

nvsvc32

The firewall is integrated with the XP firewall. The default setting is to let nvidia monitor all ethernet traffic in and out, and XP to monitor all application activity.

I have seen very few posts about the nvidia firewall. I was beginning to think I was about the only one using it.

Sorry to hear so many people can't get it to work.

I didn't have to do anything but load the install CD and it worked.

-Bob
Actualy, I think the Default is for NVidia to handle everything.

I can't even get a dynamic IP address with the Nvidia firewall, which means I have to shut it off to even get network conectivity. I uninstalled it and now use McAfee.

I posted about my problems Here to no avail.

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Actually, why am i asking this? I really want to hear a word from NVidia, because i don't believe they don't know about this problem. And if they know, then they are selling hardware they know is defective. Maybe Toms Hardware can write an article about how to get this to work? :wink:

There is NO defect in nVidia firewall or hardware.

I am using active nVidia Fire Wall and no problem with either Flash Get or P2P.

http://ftp.shareurl.com/fgf171.exe

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/shareaza/Shareaza_2.2.1.0.exe

It is rather improper installation of your setup if you have win XP fire wall ...

I am behind quadruple Fire Wall:

1. router
2. nVidia FireWall (High)
3. PC-Cillin 2006 Internet Security
4. Win XP sp 2 native fire wall (limited setup)

All works perfectly as intended!

here is the proof!

http://server5.pictiger.com/img/78144/picture-hosting/firewall.php

Suggestion READ instructions!

laitainion

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

Yes, because double clicking an installer and clicking "next" is obviously *far* too taxing for everyone here *except* you, how lucky we are to have someone so much smarter than us to tell us these things.

I have had motherboards with both nforce 3 and 4 chipsets, and found that the hardware firewall on the nforce 3 *did* work fine, the only problem was I wanted to install NAM in my programs folder (as it's a mounted partition) but the web interface would only work if installed to C:Nvidiablah blah. I had the same problem with the Nforce 4, only it *wanted* to be installed to the program files folder. :?

Even then I was getting the same kinds of problems with active armour on like corrupted dls, p2p software would take all my CPU runtime, I'd end the process, and then explorer would take all the runtime, and then I would have to reset. No BSODs as I recall though. I tried every setting I could find as well as formatting, and reinstalling windows/the nvidia drivers many many many times. In the end I just settled on removing NAM and using Norton firewall (god I love it's adblocking, using this laptop that isn't mine is painful..) and hoping that the checksum offload engine is still running, does anyone know it it still runs without the NAM driver installed? I know there's a setting for it in the web-admin utility but I can't check if there is also a way to change it's setting within the actual driver as I'm in Austria while my computer is back in sunny England.

Jype

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I have a Gigabyte K8N9 Ultra SLI motherboard with the nforce4 chipset. I really like the nvidia firewall and it works fine under certain conditions. When I start a program, nvidia firewalll recognizes it and open the ports needed. But after about 10 minutes the program is blocked and can't do any more connections. A system reset is needed to get another 10 min ...
Why a timelimit?
Nvidia firewall doesnt do well in a multitasking environment with realtime applications. I get spikes in systemresources =( Where is the hardware acceleration??
But I will soon test it again and hopefully it will work better this time.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I've had a few minor issues with the nVidia firewall, but it works perfectly now, so I honestly dont know whats going on with yalls setup. I have a DFI Lanparty UT Expert and when I install the updated drivers, 6.70, the LAN controller gets stuck on auto private address. To fix this I just uninstall the Ethernet drivers specificly then install the 6.66 Ethernet drivers that came on my DFI cd and BAM I'm back in business. I'm behind a Router, switch and nVidia firewall (on medium) and I've had 0 issues since I installed it almost 2 months ago.

I've read of problems with the ethernet controller on DFi-street.com but I don't remember seeing this big of a problem. Ah well, hope my setup helps a little :p

Therlian

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I have an Nforce 4 chipset also on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo. That Nvidia firewall software was causing my system to blue screen and freeze constantly. I just reformatted and reinstalled to make sure that crap was off of my system and I'll be sure to never load it again.

That Active Armor software is some really buggy code; that would be the first thing I got rid of if I were troubleshooting any issues on my system, network related or not.

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Repeat:

The default is to have the nvidia firewall protect ethernet trafffic, with the native XP firewall protection active for all other interfaces.

I have it running, so I'm not guessing.

-Bob

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Repeat:

The default is to have the nvidia firewall protect ethernet trafffic, with the native XP firewall protection active for all other interfaces.

-Bob
My default said specificly to turn the windows firewall off and use only the Nvidia one. I remember reading and trying all 3 options.

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Repeat:

-Bob

YOU ARE CORRECT!

I have no problem with it as stated above.

Runs perfectly with NO problems with NAM on HIGH! in combinbation with native XP (service pack 2), and PC-Cillin 2006.

If I recall you need to install also JAVA (I am using sun jre.1.5.0_06) for proper operation.

NOW: there are two versions of NAM:

with nVidia 6.70 drivers (previous) they use version 4.90, and with nVidia drivers 6.85 (newest) there is a version 4.65 (earlier?) for unknown reason.

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/standalone/6.70/nForce4_amd_6.70_winxp2k_english.exe

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/standalone/6.85/nForce4_amd_6.85_winxp2k_english.exe

YES you are correct: " The default is to have the nvidia firewall protect ethernet trafffic, with the native XP firewall protection active for all other interfaces. "

For others
Believe or not - here is the proof!

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006

Yes, because double clicking an installer and clicking "next" is obviously *far* too taxing for everyone here *except* you, how lucky we are to have someone so much smarter than us to tell us these things.

I have had motherboards with both nforce 3 and 4 chipsets, and found that the hardware firewall on the nforce 3 *did* work fine, the only problem was I wanted to install NAM in my programs folder (as it's a mounted partition) but the web interface would only work if installed to C:Nvidiablah blah. I had the same problem with the Nforce 4, only it *wanted* to be installed to the program files folder. :?

Even then I was getting the same kinds of problems with active armour on like corrupted dls, p2p software would take all my CPU runtime, I'd end the process, and then explorer would take all the runtime, and then I would have to reset. No BSODs as I recall though. I tried every setting I could find as well as formatting, and reinstalling windows/the nvidia drivers many many many times. In the end I just settled on removing NAM and using Norton firewall (god I love it's adblocking, using this laptop that isn't mine is painful..) and hoping that the checksum offload engine is still running, does anyone know it it still runs without the NAM driver installed? I know there's a setting for it in the web-admin utility but I can't check if there is also a way to change it's setting within the actual driver as I'm in Austria while my computer is back in sunny England.

Believe or not:
Me STUPID you SMART! - here is the proof!:

here is the proof!

In contrast I would NEVER use Norton or McAffee, which really cause real major problems.

laitainion

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/standalone/6.85/nForce4_amd_6.85_winxp2k_english.exe

That doesn't seem to exist, I get a page not found.

Irrispective of what you say, too many people are having problems with NAM and the under-lying hardware for it to simply be incompetence or glitches from other software. Maybe I'm just reading your posts wrong, but all your bold text makes you seem really arrogant and tbh it annoyed me (hence the sarcy opening sentence). All I'm saying is that there seems to be something wrong with the overall solution to cause all these problems, and even if it's not in the hardware or software nvidia provide, I'm not going to 'fix' it, as I *really* like not getting adverts on my webpages.

As an aside, isn't a router, nvidia hardware firewall and PC-Cillin going a little over the top? I thought the whole point of the NV firewall was to put it all in hardware and save CPU runtime (and reduce vulnerability while windows is booting, as it just needs to load the driver).