AMD AthlonX2 3800+ 2GHz@2.4GHZ! Great overclocker!

NEO3

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Just drop by to say this.... 8O
Im impressed by the overclock potencial of this model. Indeed it's an excellent option. Stock cooler and value ram running at 240mhz...and it was done. (HTT in 5x, bus at 240)
Seti@home doing 2 units in 2 hours! Amazing speed!
:D

NEO3

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
:lol: Ok...I've got it, but no problem!!! My system is up and running...no matter where I post the news about it :p
:D

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Overclocking an X2 only start to get interesting over 2.6GHz on stock cooling.

Test for stability under full load on both cores, 240MHz on crap memory memory and a HTT over 1GHz is stretching things a bit too far.

There is more to overclocking than simply pumping the bus upward...

NEO3

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Overclocking an X2 only start to get interesting over 2.6GHz on stock cooling.

Test for stability under full load on both cores, 240MHz on crap memory memory and a HTT over 1GHz is stretching things a bit too far.

There is more to overclocking than simply pumping the bus upward...

Obviously you never heard of seti@home or work with 3D render programs (things that I do). Couse if you did, you should know that "testing" both cores on a 100% load is common thing and this go smooth, without flaws. So that leaves an awnser right away.
As far of the "crappy" memory, I think a Kingston Value Ram PC400, working at 480 is nothing to be ashemed off, in fact, I considered myself a lucky guy in this aspect. And Im pretty happy with my rig as it is now.
I know all the aspects off overclocking. By the way...its not a genius thing, ANY ONE can do. You're the proof of it ;)

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
No need to puff your temper, you got a whole 4 posts here, in which you neglected to ever mention stress-testing, don't blame me for pointing out the obvious.

It is presomptuous of you to assume that I never heard of Seti, which is now a part of the greater BOINC grid.

As far as distributed computing goes, I have been constant donator in the THGC F@H team since we started it in November 2004, before that, I was contributing to GIMPS (Prime95).

Same goes for you blurting out "I know all the aspects off overclocking", as I pointed out before, there is more to overclocking than crudely pumping the bus upward, especially on 5 HTT lanes.

Allow me to throw that "anyone can do it" right back at you.

NEO3

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
No need to puff your temper, you got a whole 4 posts here, in which you neglected to ever mention stress-testing, don't blame me for pointing out the obvious.

It is presomptuous of you to assume that I never heard of Seti, which is now a part of the greater BOINC grid.

As far as distributed computing goes, I have been constant donator in the THGC F@H team since we started it in November 2004, before that, I has been contributing to GIPMS (Prime95).

Same goes for you blurting out "I know all the aspects off overclocking", as I pointed out before, there is more to overclocking than crudely pumping the bus upward, especially on 5 HTT lanes.

Allow me to throw that "anyone can do it" right back at you.

Sure! Your comment was indeed premature in every way and Im happy you recognize that. Seti@home was pointed at my "number one"comment" but you may have overlooked.
No that Im on my "5" comment pace, let me say that my temper is always calm, as my overclock desire ;)
Have a nice day!!

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

Hardly qualify as stress testing IMHO, try full load 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 4 months straight.

Sure! Your comment was indeed premature in every way and Im happy you recognize that.

Read again, I have NOT recognized any wrongdoing on my part, you're the one prematurely jumping to conclusions.

Buy a clue, I am NOT being chummy, you got a lot to learn and skimping through posts won't help you in that regard.

Influx

Distinguished
May 22, 2003

Hardly qualify as stress testing IMHO, try full load 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 4 months straight.

Agree but perhaps some middle ground is sensible. 2900 odd hours of stress testing is excessive and arguably won't prove anything more than a straight 24hr run. If you go 24hrs at 100% with no problems it's unlikely to fall over in day to day use.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Thanks for doing the maths, was mentionning the 24/7 for 4 months figure as it is what I have contributed to F@H with this 'rig, that's the extent of what daily use is for me.

I do agree that 24 hours is a good point of reference and that failure beyond this point is unlikely.