Evil_P

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Hey guys,

Im having major issues with my PC at the moment, this kind of thing happens all the time, and im usually able to identify the problem, but these problems have been around for ages now, and I really wanna get back into gaming.

Both of these problems started together so I assume they are related.

Problem #1: At least 50% of the time I boot up my PC, it freezes completely, forcing me to reboot over and over until I get in. It freezes precisely after the RAM check every time, also the Harddrive light turns on, and stays on while frozen. At first I thought it was the RAM (2x 512 Mb duel channel), so I removed one of the 512 sticks, didn’t fix the prob, so I replaced it with the other 512 stick, still didn’t help. So its not the RAM unless both sticks of ram have the exact same prob. (which I highly doubt).

Problem #2: Now the times that I can actually get in to windows, everything is fine, except when I try play a game, any game, doesn’t matter, it’s the same prob. Within 5 – 10 minutes of playing, the game will freeze (the same way it freezes when booting up) every single time, without fail, forcing me to reboot. Also note that the harddrive light turns on and stays on while frozen.

The next thing I thought of, is that something is overheating, but I woodnt know what. The CPU seems fine, but I cant be certain. If this is a overheating prob, is there any Progs I can download, or ways for me to see the temp of everything that could possibly overheat and cause this prob? If its not A overheating problem, does anyone have any clue what it could be? I know it’s a hardware prob, coz ive formatted a few times. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

My Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2400
Soltek nForce 2 mobo – latest drivers
1 Gb RAM (2x 512 duel channel)
Leadtek Geforce 6600GT AGP - 128 mb – latest drivers
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music – latest drivers
Windows XP Pro - SP2