Upgrade from XP to 7 - how to do fresh install on new HDD?

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
My work machine's HDD is on its way out. It currently has XP Pro x86 on it. I got a fresh new HDD and upgrade version of Win7 x64 Pro.

I booted from the Win7 x64 disc, it went through its whole install thing on the new HDD, and then when it got to the product key, it wouldn't accept the one that came in the box. I read on the web that upgrade versions must have XP or Vista already installed for it to work.

But, the 7 documentation says I have to do a Custom install if I'm upgrading from XP. A custom installation deletes whatever is on the partition, I think. So how can it work when upgrading from XP?

I have actually gone back and installed XP on the new HDD (that had its own share of problems, couldn't even get the internet connection working), and now trying to do a custom installation of 7 again. When it gets to the product key section, should I put in my original XP product key? Or will the 7 product key work this time?

I Just did a Clean install on a tosibia loptop using their Upgrade disk.. Had win 7 RC installed on a SSD (Although I have a qualifing Operating system - it was not in the computer.

Ref: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/c [...] _media.asp
Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
Easier - Just do a search for " MediaBootInstall"

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

Then, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

Alternate method.
(1) do a clean install (disconnect your XP HDD if installing on a 2nd HDD) WITHOUT entering your KEY. Uncheck activate as soon as installed.
(2) When it has installed, Let it do any updates. Reboot
(3) Reinstall over the top of your first install, this time entering your key.
When installation finishes you can check Dword for a "0". Shut down and reattach XP HDD if disconnected in (1). You can now dual boot to XP, or Win 7 using key during booting (F12 on My gigabyte MB)

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
It was an upgrade in the literal sense of the term, just not in the technical I guess.

And I may be old fashioned, but I personally would NEVER "upgrade" an operating system without doing a complete format and fresh install of all programs. IMHO there's just too much "junk" that gets on computers over time and everything just seems to run better when there's a clean slate to start from.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
PatrickGR94,

When migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK
For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/mhbep4

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

This was not the case for me initially because I replaced my HDD with a brand new one at the same time as installing Win7. So I had to install XP Pro fresh onto that new HDD, then install the 7 upgrade.

dustinmichalanderson

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

Patrick,

I am actually wanting to do just that. I bought the full version of Win 7 rather than the upgrade version. I'm currently running Win XP 32bit SP2 and will run Win 7 64bit.

This is a newb question but whats the best way to install a new operating system on a hard drive with an existing OS? I have already backed up pics/music on a separate drive. Any suggestions or advice. Thanks.

PatrickGSR94

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Just boot from the disc and install it. You may need to make sure your BIOS has the boot order set to check for boot media in CD/DVD drives first, then HDD. Most will be set to do floppy first, optical or HDD media second, and then whatever is left (optical or HDD) third.

On my Dell, after the Dell BIOS screen comes up and it performs checks of the memory, optical, and HDD's, it gives me the option to press any key to boot from CD/DVD.

If I were you, I would wipe your existing partition and install Win7 fresh since you have the full version. The Win7 install process will give you options for deleting or creating partitions. I would delete what's there now, create a new partition using all available space (or less if you want multiple partitions) and then continue with installing Win7 on the new partition.

tk9780

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I ran Win7 setup from in XP - after reboot it gave me the option to upgrade or clean install onto another partition or HD which I did leaving XP intact and no problems with codes or Activation.