Sign in with
Your question

MBR Corrupted --- Please Help !!!!

Last response: in Windows 7
March 28, 2011 10:46:53 PM

I have a 1TB hard drive with about 6 partitions on it. Including NTFS, EXT4, and HFS+ partitions. I loaded a backup image file for one of the operating systems and this ended up slightly messing up the MBR. I usually fix this by using a small MBR writing program. However this time instead of fixing the MBR, it corrupted it.

Now any partition or recovery software that i use says that its unable to read from the drive or says that its unallocated, but Im sure theres a way to get the data back by simply fixing the partition tables

however i have never done this before and so far all the partition programs i used didnt work
any help would be very appreciated

More about : mbr corrupted

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
March 29, 2011 12:38:14 AM

You could run fixmbr from command prompt from windows install cd repair.
m
l
March 29, 2011 12:46:15 AM

Anonymous said:
You could run fixmbr from command prompt from windows install cd repair.

i have tried BootRec.exe /fixmbr but it doesnt work
m
l
March 29, 2011 1:17:28 AM

bob_white said:
I have a 1TB hard drive with about 6 partitions on it. Including NTFS, EXT4, and HFS+ partitions. I loaded a backup image file for one of the operating systems and this ended up slightly messing up the MBR. I usually fix this by using a small MBR writing program. However this time instead of fixing the MBR, it corrupted it.

Now any partition or recovery software that i use says that its unable to read from the drive or says that its unallocated, but Im sure theres a way to get the data back by simply fixing the partition tables

however i have never done this before and so far all the partition programs i used didnt work
any help would be very appreciated

Try using both the FixMBR option AND FixBoot.

/FixMbr
The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.

/FixBoot
The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:

* The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
* The boot sector is damaged.
* An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).
m
l
!