Windows will not install. Motherboard at fault?

Gerben3000

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Apparantly my power supply cooler was not on for a while and my pc shut itself off. Now im trying to install Windows on a formatted hdd but it simply wont install correctly. Each time i try wether its Xp or '98 it gives me errors. It cant find certain critical files. When not being able to copy a file it asks me to skip or retry. Sometimes when retrying it does suddenly work but usually it wont.

Can this be fixed? Or can someone tell me whats causing the problem is it my processor or is it my motherboard?

Its not the CD-rom drive, Ram or HDD ive replaced all of those.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
when you say you replaced the hdd I am assuming you mean new.

I assume that you only have one hard drive hooked up and only basic things put in the computer. [no add in cards, like audio, fire wire, net work etc] before you have windows installed.

I also assume that your hdd is correctly attached. Data cable is firmly seated and Set to master/ cable select and cable 80 wire cable attached correctly if you're using ATA.

I also assume you have bios set at defaults.

If my assumptions above are correct based on what you already said it sounds data is being starved from the system. It sounds like it is either having trouble reading the data from the CD or losing it from the CD to the transfer to the HDD.

I think I would suspect cabling first, pinched cable, improperly seated, or device failure this could be the Optical drive, the HDD or the controllers on the mobo it self.

first thing would be to replace the cabling and make sure everything is connected properly. If it still fails at that point try switching your optical drive out to a different one then HDD. I know you said some of these were new but have you ever heard the term "DOA". It can and does happen. If it still happens after all that then mobo is bad.

Good luck

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, sounds like one of the controllers on the board is acting up. Perhaps the IDE or SATA controller. See if you can reinstall the chipset drivers for that board and also, check the cables too. Make sure they're not pinched or damaged in anyway. IDE cables can be damaged very easily.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Might be just as quick and easy to format the drive and start the installation from scratch. Sounds like you have some corrupt Windows files on your machine and formatting will get rid of them.

Gerben3000

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Ive actually (temporarily) replaced the parts from the faulty computer with parts from my other pc. And the other pc works like a charm. Thats how i know that its not those parts which are at fault. But the processor and motherboard are the only two i cannot replace.

But if i understand correctly its not the processers fault right? It is the motherboard. If so then I know what I need to replace. (and this time i do mean new :) )

youweixi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
..It is a memory error .
.please switch your pc memory(s)
or lower memory running speed to 266mhz.
or just use one memory

patar

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Do you have a virus arlarm set in the motherboard bios? This will prevent anything from writing to the Master Boot Record of the HD.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Ive actually (temporarily) replaced the parts from the faulty computer with parts from my other pc. And the other pc works like a charm. Thats how i know that its not those parts which are at fault. But the processor and motherboard are the only two i cannot replace.

But if i understand correctly its not the processers fault right? It is the motherboard. If so then I know what I need to replace. (and this time i do mean new :) )

While motherboards do go bad, they are a hassle to send back. If you don't prove that it's the motherboard then you go through all that hassle for nothing.

personally I've never gotten a DOA motherboard, it's always been something else. If you go to all the trouble to RMA the mobo make sure that's the problem.

It's very easy to have an unseated data cable or you damaged a device unintentionally when transferring from one machine to the other.

As stated above, it's very easy to damage a data cable. I'm sure everyone here who has built at least a couple machines or replaced a couple hard drives has done it.

It could be the memory as well, you just won't know until you eliminate one thing at a time. If you just start making random guesses without proving it all you're doing is chasing your tail.