norsoulnet

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I just built my new rig and moved in two of my old HDDs into the new computer case. Here are the specs:

----------------------------
Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego)
Asus A8N5X NForce4 Mobo
Asus Radeon X1900XT
Creative Labs X-Fi
1G Corsair XMS
150G Raptor 10,000RPM HDD
250G WD 7,200RPM HDD --->my old boot drive for the old computer
40G WD 7,200RPM HDD
Windows XP

For the initial WinXP install I disconnected my IDE HDDs and I got the computer up and running perfectly fine. I installed all the drivers for the Mobo from the CD, and turn the computer off.

I reconnect the IDE HDDs (200g is Master and 40g is Slave - set to Cable Select - on IDE Channel 1) and start the rig up. It gets to Windows Loading and flashes a Blue Screen of Death for about .2 seconds and reboots. The rebooting doesn't end, its an endless cycle.

Could this be an out-of-date driver issue (wouldn't think so since none of the tech I'm using is ground breakingly new) or a BIOS setting issue or something?

When I re-disconnect the ATA HDDs it boots up just fine on the Raptor.

Any ideas, cause I'm all out of 'em. Thanks much in advance.

Russ

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I kinda wonder if your booting off the 250Gig drive, that is if you still have an older OS installation from your other rig.

If I understand correctly:

150G Raptor 10,000RPM HDD <-- on RAID 0 ?

250G WD 7,200RPM HDD <-- Primary IDE master?

40G WD 7,200RPM HDD <-- Primary IDE slave? :edit" Doh what was I thinkin..

And if that is the case, your bios maybe booting off IDE primary master drive, intead of the Raptor, where you new install is.

Might wanna check your boot sequence.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Might wanna check your boot sequence.

That's what I think too. Check the boot sequence and if that doesn't work throw the XP disc back in (with the drives connected) and then delete the partitions on those drives. Just make sure you don't delete the partition on the raptor!

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I just built my new rig and moved in two of my old HDDs into the new computer case. Here are the specs:

----------------------------
Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego)
Asus A8N5X NForce4 Mobo
Asus Radeon X1900XT
Creative Labs X-Fi
1G Corsair XMS
150G Raptor 10,000RPM HDD
250G WD 7,200RPM HDD --->my old boot drive for the old computer
40G WD 7,200RPM HDD
Windows XP

For the initial WinXP install I disconnected my IDE HDDs and I got the computer up and running perfectly fine. I installed all the drivers for the Mobo from the CD, and turn the computer off.

I reconnect the IDE HDDs (200g is Master and 40g is Slave - set to Cable Select - on IDE Channel 1) and start the rig up. It gets to Windows Loading and flashes a Blue Screen of Death for about .2 seconds and reboots. The rebooting doesn't end, its an endless cycle.

Could this be an out-of-date driver issue (wouldn't think so since none of the tech I'm using is ground breakingly new) or a BIOS setting issue or something?

When I re-disconnect the ATA HDDs it boots up just fine on the Raptor.

Any ideas, cause I'm all out of 'em. Thanks much in advance.

Russ

after setting all drives you must in BIOS set booting sequence.

It happens also that BIOS boot sequence might "jump" the drive.