USB and parallel port hook up

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
December 11, 2004 3:33:18 PM

Is it possible to have a printer connected to two computers at once with one
using USB and the other a Parallel port thereby enabling either computer to
use the printer?

Thanks

More about : usb parallel port hook

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:33:19 PM

"ole" <ole@sealake.com> wrote in message news:Y4Hud.3099$pV7.2037@fe07.lga...
> Is it possible to have a printer connected to two computers at once with one
> using USB and the other a Parallel port thereby enabling either computer to
> use the printer?

It depends... some printers (such as the DeskJet 970 and earlier) will latch
on to the first port that becomes active after a power-on event, and will stop
listening to the other port until the next power cycle. Other printers (such
as the DeskJet 990) will automatically listen to both ports while idle. Which
printer do you have?

Regards,
December 11, 2004 4:38:09 PM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:33:18 -0600, in comp.periphs.printers "ole"
<ole@sealake.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to have a printer connected to two computers at once with one
>using USB and the other a Parallel port thereby enabling either computer to
>use the printer?

Sure. Though only one can be yore default printer.
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Related resources
December 11, 2004 4:54:49 PM

He wants 1 "printer" on 2 computers.Not 2 printers on 1 computer!He is,as I
see it,asking if a printer with both usb and parallel interfaces can be
shared,with 1 computer using the usb and 1 using the parallel ports.I don't
know if that would work,never tried it.It might be easier just to use a
switch.
"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o jfmr0higr8d9vfqv4vuoi4m4psg9b09a5@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:33:18 -0600, in comp.periphs.printers "ole"
> <ole@sealake.com> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to have a printer connected to two computers at once with
>>one
>>using USB and the other a Parallel port thereby enabling either computer
>>use the printer?
>
> Sure. Though only one can be yore default printer.
> http://EdwardGRuf.com
December 11, 2004 8:23:48 PM

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

> "ole" <ole@sealake.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to have a printer connected to two computers at once with
>> one using USB and the other a Parallel port thereby enabling either
>> computer to use the printer?
>
> It depends... some printers (such as the DeskJet 970 and earlier) will
> latch on to the first port that becomes active after a power-on event, and
> will stop listening to the other port until the next power cycle. Other
> printers (such as the DeskJet 990) will automatically listen to both ports
> while idle. Which printer do you have?
>
> Regards,

I have an old HP 895cse
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 11:06:42 PM

Douglas wrote:
> He wants 1 "printer" on 2 computers.Not 2 printers on 1 computer!He
> is,as I see it,asking if a printer with both usb and parallel
> interfaces can be shared,with 1 computer using the usb and 1 using
> the parallel ports.I don't know if that would work,never tried it.It
> might be easier just to use a switch.
> "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:o jfmr0higr8d9vfqv4vuoi4m4psg9b09a5@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:33:18 -0600, in comp.periphs.printers "ole"
>> <ole@sealake.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to have a printer connected to two computers at once
>>> with one
>>> using USB and the other a Parallel port thereby enabling either
>>> computer to
>>> use the printer?
>>
>> Sure. Though only one can be yore default printer.
>> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
>> http://EdwardGRuf.com

It works. Got an ESC900 hooked up via parallel to my father's P3 and via USB
to my FX-55.
on salads.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 11:52:30 PM

"ole" <ole@sealake.com> wrote in message news:nlLud.3765$nx2.3170@fe07.lga...

> I have an old HP 895cse

The DeskJet 895 will listen to the first port it hears after power on. You can
connect both but will have to turn the printer off and back on to get it to
listen to the other port.

Regards,
December 12, 2004 1:39:38 AM

Why doesn't your employer HP design the software for their All-In-One Printer (PSC
1210) so that it will talk to the USB 1.0 port on my DELL in Windows ME?
I have to now go out and buy an interface card for $40 to make this work.

Sherwin D.

Bob Headrick wrote:

> "ole" <ole@sealake.com> wrote in message news:Y4Hud.3099$pV7.2037@fe07.lga...
> > Is it possible to have a printer connected to two computers at once with one
> > using USB and the other a Parallel port thereby enabling either computer to
> > use the printer?
>
> It depends... some printers (such as the DeskJet 970 and earlier) will latch
> on to the first port that becomes active after a power-on event, and will stop
> listening to the other port until the next power cycle. Other printers (such
> as the DeskJet 990) will automatically listen to both ports while idle. Which
> printer do you have?
>
> Regards,
December 12, 2004 3:00:26 PM

sherwindu wrote:

>Why doesn't your employer HP design the software for their All-In-One Printer (PSC
>1210) so that it will talk to the USB 1.0 port on my DELL in Windows ME?
>I have to now go out and buy an interface card for $40 to make this work.

Don't blame HP for this...it's a problem with Dell's design and using
Windows ME.

If you bought a Dell printer, it would work 100%. That's the reason Dell
makes their systems proprietary...to force users to go back to Dell for
upgrades and accessories where the profit margins are high.

As for the USB card, I would suggest you consider changing your
operating system rather than get a new USB card. There's no guarantee
the new card will work any better with Dell's hardware and software
setup. It'll probably work, but it may not.
!