Sign in with
Your question

help choosing sound card

Last response: in Components
February 21, 2006 2:23:35 PM

I am getting wound up trying to decide what sound card to get. i could get the x-fi extreme music for £78 or i could get the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum eX for £60 or the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound Card for £85 but i am not sure. are the additional connector bays that come with the Audigy 2 card any good. does anyone actually use these connection and what uses do they have???

More about : choosing sound card

February 21, 2006 3:11:26 PM

Ooh... Are using the sound card to do a little professional recording or just for pure gaming? If you are doing recording, i suggest you take the Audigy 2 Platinum eX.. the connectors are for you to jack mics and stuffs that you use for recording... If you're just using for gaming hooking it into surround speakers, then i suggest the x-Fi extreme Music... They offer great sound quality... Only thing they lack is the Firewire port which the Audigy 2 has... No worries anyway, my firewire has been sitting there like a white elephant since i bought it.. loL!

1GB DDR2 RAM 533MHz
36GB WD Raptor
160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9
X850XT PE 575MHz/630MHz
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
February 21, 2006 4:06:31 PM

I bought the Audigy2 ZS 8 months ago.. and works perfectly
I've heard the Audigy X-fi Music and X-fi Platinum have serious bugs in playing games.
The only thing is that the Creative Media Center is not compatible with the Norton (Utilities) Systems... so you'll need to get rid of it if u have it installed...

The sound.. is... WOOOOOWWW!!!

HP nx9030
2 GB DDR
40 GB HDD
Audigy2 ZS
February 21, 2006 6:18:50 PM

"serious bugs" like X-Fi card not set into correct mode for gaming or onboard sound not switched off?
:roll:
:lol: 

People have this tendency to call any kind of problem they encounter with their computer "a bug". My cousin was complaining his PC was slow and crashed a lot in games.
Was it because:
:idea: His XP was loading 95 items at startup?
:idea: or because he never updated mobo's chipset drivers?
:idea: he did not switch onboard audio off in bios while using Audigy?
I still do not know...

I am using X-Fi and have no complaints so far. At least Quake 4 and GTA SA run without a hitch
!