Sign in with
Your question

Uninstall integrated video drivers?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2006 7:08:26 PM

I just received my new MSI Geforce 6600 GT and was wondering if I should uninstall the original drivers for my Intel integrated graphics on my Vaio RB-50 before installing the Nvidia drivers.

Thanks for your replies.
February 21, 2006 8:09:58 PM

Only uninstall if the onboard video is diabled in bios. Other wise I will find new hardware every time you boot you machine.
February 21, 2006 8:10:38 PM

you must uninstall it before you install your new card.
Related resources
February 21, 2006 8:28:56 PM

Not sure if this is true for all intergrated video boards, but since I did work on one..

Usually your not going to find an option to turn off the on board video. Once you plug in your APG card, that is what disables the on board video.

It would be best to be sure you do uninstall the drivers 1st before putting the card in.

And, you may want to take out any other cards as well. I remember I did have an IRQ conflict. One card kept and IRQ that was saved in the bios, so the display didn't come up.

You will have to reinstall the drivers if you have to unplug other cards to get the display up.
February 22, 2006 1:32:58 AM

I really have no idea how to disable onboard video in BIOS, but I just uninstalled the drivers under "Display Adapters" in the device manager, put the card in and installed the drivers for it, and everything seems to be okay. Now, only the nVidia drivers show up under "Display Adapters."
February 22, 2006 2:11:18 PM

Upon boot-up, hit DEL for the BIOS menu. Then select either advanced options or Integrated peripherals. Scroll down to display device, then disable "Onboard" GMA or IGP.....basically anything onboard video.

Save and exit...
February 22, 2006 2:42:48 PM

Quote:
I really have no idea how to disable onboard video in BIOS, but I just uninstalled the drivers under "Display Adapters" in the device manager, put the card in and installed the drivers for it, and everything seems to be okay. Now, only the nVidia drivers show up under "Display Adapters."

So how does it work? Crash in any games at all?
February 22, 2006 5:35:03 PM

It seems to work fine for what little I've done with it. Halo plays awesome, though it did lag for maybe a second one time. Other than that, good.
February 22, 2006 6:25:12 PM

Quote:
It seems to work fine for what little I've done with it. Halo plays awesome, though it did lag for maybe a second one time. Other than that, good.

Rock on! Mine crashed after about 20 min the first time.
!