mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I have a p4 2.0 northy, was thinkin bout buying a bare bones system for my first build the one im lookin at has a cele D 340 in it with thisboard MSI PM8M-V. Thanx in advance all.

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
This is what I have now-

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2000 MHz (20 x 100)
CPU Alias Northwood, A80532
CPU Stepping C1
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2
Original Clock 2000 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 20x / 20x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

The p4's get hot as hell and don't overclock well. The celeron d's can overclock like a whore in heat and are a lot cheaper.

I have an old asus p4s800 mobo, and tried a 2.4 p4 on it. Wouldn't oc for nothing. Put in a 2.4 cel-d, got it up to 3600, and still wanted to go more. Never gets over 32c with stock cooling. Idles between 18 and 21c. My friend who builds custom computers couldn't believe it.

It's your money, spend it where you want.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
The p4's get hot as hell and don't overclock well.

Because of what you said. Your so wrong dude. P4s OC far better than anything does and its been proven time and time again. I've been round and round with people like you who come in here and say OMG, Intels are HOT! Intels are HOT! Intels are HOT! That's complete and total BS

As long as any processor is installed correctly, and believe me, i've built hundreds of P4 machines and I have yet, to ever come across one that has run even remotely hot.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks man. I'm trying not to argue at all and am making some good points here. Look, that northy you've got is a good chip. Keep it and OC the garbage out of it and you'll be happier. Trust me

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Thanks man. I'm trying not to argue at all and am making some good points here. Look, that northy you've got is a good chip. Keep it and OC the garbage out of it and you'll be happier. Trust me
Now my problem is finding a good ooo say not over a $65.00 MB or a bare bones w/ a good board and a decent P/s in a nice box for round $125.00

I don't want to argue either. I'm telling it from past experience. The newer prescotts run much cooler than the old ones, and anybody who's used them should know that. My old p4....prescott ran hot as hell...they all did for a while.

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Thanx bud take a look at the MSI at start of post
Item #: M452-2436 A-- on tiger direct,I would put the cele in a drawer till northy dies or e-bay it.
OR this one on new egg,,BIOSTAR P4M80-M4 Socket 478 VIA P4M800 Micro ATX Intel Motherboar

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
P4 Prescotts on 478 socket did have a reputation for running hot, but P4 northwood 'c' were great clockers in their day, and didnt run hot at all.

2.4C's with HT can easily hit 3.2Ghz on air at stock voltages, and 3.4ghz+ isnt unheard of.

At home, i'm still running a 3.2c @ 3.52Ghz with PC3200@220mhz 2-2-2-6-1T, and its pretty fast.

Now a Northwood 'a' 2ghz isnt going to clock as well as one of the later chips, but you should be able to get some speed out of it. Anything over 2.4Ghz would be pretty decent for a 2.0A

I believe C1 steppings were made towards the end of Northwood 'B's life (the 533 FSB chips), so if your lucky you'll have a speed binned processor, with a reduced FSB, and it could potentially clock well. I've got a 2.4Ghz C1 stepping, which has been running at 3Ghz stock voltage since they first came out, and its still running fine.

Definatly worth looking for a motherboard for the chip you have

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
finally 2 intel fanboys fightin over a p4 this you guys gotta see get some popcorn and stay awhile lets see how luminaris and swifty perform for us(oooh this is gonna be so good :D )

I have a somewhat related question:

I've lost track of Intel's naming scheme long ago. Recently I was looking at procs and noticed a Celeron D. I figured the D stood for the same thing as it does in Pentium D, dual core. After a little more research I found out my original assumption was wrong.

So...

What the heck does the "D" stand for in Celeron "D"!?!? And why would Intel use such confusing naming schemes?

If you think you see an AMD fanboy undertone to my post, you are probably correct.

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
P4 Prescotts on 478 socket did have a reputation for running hot, but P4 northwood 'c' were great clockers in their day, and didnt run hot at all.

2.4C's with HT can easily hit 3.2Ghz on air at stock voltages, and 3.4ghz+ isnt unheard of.

At home, i'm still running a 3.2c @ 3.52Ghz with PC3200@220mhz 2-2-2-6-1T, and its pretty fast.

Now a Northwood 'a' 2ghz isnt going to clock as well as one of the later chips, but you should be able to get some speed out of it. Anything over 2.4Ghz would be pretty decent for a 2.0A

I believe C1 steppings were made towards the end of Northwood 'B's life (the 533 FSB chips), so if your lucky you'll have a speed binned processor, with a reduced FSB, and it could potentially clock well. I've got a 2.4Ghz C1 stepping, which has been running at 3Ghz stock voltage since they first came out, and its still running fine.

Definatly worth looking for a motherboard for the chip you have
Thanx!! Now if any one can recomend a MB in my range please let me know as I will use this chip.take a look at the 2 at the start of my thread plz,, let me know your oppinions plz..

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I'd recommend going for any motherboard that supports 478 with dual channel DDR memory, Ideally a springdale or canterwood board.

Just check the spec sheet out carefully to make sure your chosen board does support a 400FSB rather than just 533/800.

I know that Abits IS7 series (Springdale) supports Northwood 'a' as I had a spare 1.8Ghz chip lying around, which I gave to a friend. Its now running happy on an IS7-E2

The Asus P4P800 series were good boards too, and appear to support the 400mhz FSB.

Some of these boards can be hard to find these days, but some suppliers still have 'old stock' and are happy to get rid of them at some pretty bargain prices.

Do make sure you get a dual channel board though, at 400mhz FSB, you could use single channel PC3200, but I dont believe that any of the 478 boards support PC3200 on a 400FSB processor.

Anyway, if your really lucky, and have a good chip, it would be great if you got the FSB up to 533, then you would have a 2.66Ghz 'B' type equivilent processor, and you'll want Dual Channel PC2700 (can use PC3200 and underclock it, with ultra tight timings too if your lucky)

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
thanks :) corasik,i will start searching new egg, tiger direct and if you know of another that you have used send me a link..
are there any MB makers that i should really stay away from??