sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
OK IM SICK OF AMD! If you read my sig, it will tell you what my system is. I orriginaly had a semperon socket A that would performe better in games then my system. Oh and my system only scored 17,000 on aquamark03!!! wtf?! second it CONSTANTLY PAUSES in EVERY video game, i mean EVERY game ive ever played, Farcry and Half life 2 being the worst, the least worst is FEAR and Brothers In arms, the games i cant even run at all is Battlefield 2 and Call Of Duty 2.

Im sick of this, i spent 500 dollors trying to fix this piece. My parents intel with a crappy video card runs 10x better then this system. I used to be an AMD fanboy, but I gave up on it. Spending so much to fix my god forsaken computer makes me angry. Now i either got this disition: Get a Intel P4 930 with DDR2 667mhz memory, and a 6800xt DDR3 XFX card, with an Abit AL8-V mobo, or get a replacement Mobo, Ram and Harddrive for my system. I replaced ram once before, but doing so droped my performance of the system, and i still get constant pauses in every video game. I either believe its my harddrive or Motherboard, but since i got neither to test, im getting sick of this system. Oh and every driver is updated and all patches are updated and everything else in my system is up to date. My temps are on processor are 40 digreese celcius same for video card. This is ticking me off, this is my last AMD system, im waiting for intel conroe, that will really shine in benchmarks for sure.

Oh and strange thing is, benchmark testing does have any pauses at all, just a huge drop in frames. I ran fraps to see if its just a huge spike in FPS rate, but nope, constant pauses happen at even 50, 40, and 30fps and thoes are the FPS that no one can tell the difference from a 30-50 since our eyes can only see 30fps and lower. 3dMark03 scored like 5000, that itself is pretty low too.

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Wait, before you do anything like drop more cash on a crazy new system, make sure you update to the latest bios for your MB. THEN do a complete re-install of Windows, wiping everything clean. Download the latest drivers for everything (Chipset, Vid card, Soundcard, your butt, everything). Then re-try. Sure it'll be a pain in the ass, but it will probably save you a lot of cash!

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
i am really confused, your sig tells me nothing more than maybe that you have a sempron in yor pc right now. that is not a highend cpu, you really didn't tell me what specs that you have to run these games. I have a athlon 64 3200, 2 gigs of xms RAM, a BFG 6600 GT OC ( these aren't the fastest hardware out right now but they do pretty well for call of duty2, battlefield 2, half life 2) I mean i can't run them at the highest settings but it does alright.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
download the maxtor diags and check your hard drive. it's probably ide at 60 gb but also is it 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm.

also for shits and giggles disconnect your dvd drive and take out any pci cards you may have sound card or modem etc. if its your ps anything you can disconnect may clear up or lessen the problem to point the finger there

also what ram are you running and at what settings

emd

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
I have a sempron socket system too
when I bougth it have a 40 gb samsung hd; allways sound like crackin or in high speed revolutions seems it never find the sector or whatever
finally it ends being not recognized for mobo
and i bougth a wd 80 gb oem and 1gb ram and even be able to play quake 4 using the f secure antivirus which you can discharge-charge and a 9550 gigabyte 256 mb ram
the problem whit this processor is you can´t use the antivirus when playing
found a program called tune up but can´t tell you where I don´t remember
which free memory for play
in other words disconnect the internet I never play wow but my sistem is safe

sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
nononon people what i was saying is the semperon i HAD was good, but now i got this piece of crap i hate. The system in my sig is what im talking about.

I told you EVERYTHING is up to date buddy, if you read my post, its there. Of course ive done the reinstall and redownload and update bios, and guess what, it made things worse, before i was able to get some decent scores on benchmarks, but now its horrible.

Im getting rid of this machine and getting an intel. I said screw AMD, nothing but unreliable parts.

sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
OK i did all these tests with a program called FreshDiagnose, and it came up with these.
CPU -
Freshdiagnose-CPU.JPG

Display -
Freshdiagnose-Display.JPG

Memory -
Freshdiagnose-Memory.JPG

Hard drive -
Freshdiagnose-harddrive.JPG

I dont understand them though.

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Hard drive. Run the Maxtor diagnostic program, called MaxBlast or something like that, it'll probably tell you that it's almost done.

Your hard drive was writing at 19 mb/s and reading at 9mb/s that's slightly faster than a 100mbit network connection. This is horrible speeds. Get a new harddrive. Typically a harddrive should be reading/writing at around 60+ mb/s.

emd

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
sorry but seems to me it´s the hard disc 60 gb
and don´t know maxtor have this problems
well i never will buy samsung or maxtor

l tell you western digital works for me

kaklas13

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Buddy its not AMD Falling apart here. Its probably your HD. i Had AMD proc for all my life. they were just fine. i am still using the athlon 1200 as a second pc and it outperforms my friends p4 at 1800!! So AMD is not crap. now i purchased a 3700+ and its brilliant.. So try to operate your pc with just the needed and try another hd.. it may solve your problem.. otherwise u allways have a gurantee man :wink:

emd

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
before you dispose of the cpu consider: resell the parts maybe you begin your funds for the intel system and tell us how this work
when you get enough you can go for a conroe that would be the next gen winner I´m interesed¡

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
Hey I've currently got an AMD 3000+ Winchester (S939), along with an ASUS A8N-E and 2x512MB Corsair VS RAM. My video card is an MSI 6600GT OC'd 580Mhz / 1150Mhz. My system never, ever, ever pauses in the middle of any games. My current HD is a Samsung Spinpoint 1213 120GB.

I believe you'll notice a huge difference, from the graph, if you upgrade that HD of yours. Keep it fresh with DisKeeper. Best defrag tool I've ever used!! Worth the $50 bucks. Use the old drive as a storage for mp3s or personal files, something else besides holding your OS and games.

all the intel fanboys prolly see you as a hero now or something "see - he's not happy with his AMD i told you they were crap" - and thats how a fanboy is made - bad luck with one company (for you as an example AMD) and when you replace the whole system with an Intel chances are it will work great and you will hate AMD from then on - its just luck.

On the other hand if your unhappy at your AMD you wont be much happier at an Intel system either (not that either are bad or anythin - there bout the same really).

As for HDD's - im sus at the moment with samsung and maxtor like emd and i recently bought 2x250gb WD's and there runbling my case enough to hear it from a distance - ill stick to my original seagates for now on, ANYHOW - yeah 60gb drives havnt been on the market for years (as main atleast) - get a new one and see what happens.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Asus you say ?

First things first, turn off PEG Link Mode and AI NOS and all the other 'dynamic' Asus features in the BIOS, possibly including wireless, and any other 'Asus specific magic features'.

Which sound card do you have (if any) ?, and which slot is it installed in ?

Which BIOS version are you running ?

Which Chipset driver version(s) (chipset drivers contain multiple drivers) are you running ?

Do you have a joystick or midi, or similar external devices installed ? (Can cause frequent short pausing).

Does your system list more than 16 IRQ channels or not ?

Why are you running a GeForce 6600 GT series video card and expecting BF2 / CoD2 to perform well, or even run at all ? (No seriously, those games need _800 series cards to perform). - Overzealous perhaps, but CoD2 on a 6600 GT or 6800 (non GT/GS) is a bad idea in general.

Hard Disk Drive is an old 60 GB, if failing and Windows tries to page (and it pages to disk often, games perform reads / writes fairly often aswell, many try to stream sounds, etc while running) then the system will pause for a momment, if not freeze for an extended period (minutes or hours on a failing HDD).

Note: The problem you are having is not CPU or chipset related, but may be the drivers / Asus BIOS configuring said chipset. Like most people who claim AMD is bad you appear to be directing the blame in the wrong area.

PS:

Considering you bash Intel in all your other posts you may want to isolate the fault to the processor before blaming it - and it ain't a processor issue - Mainboard, Video Card, Hard Disk Drive are the first three components to very closely scrutinize.

You also have not mentioned, at all, the quantity, quality (tested with what ?), and specifications of your system and video memory

sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
The thing ive noticed is my friend has the same setup but with a FX5500 video card and he runs Call of duty really nicely, and the demo ran like a dream a while back.

So you guys thinks its my harddrive?

well this is the parts im ordering from www.ncix.com (im canadian)

Asrock ULI mobo

Seagate Barracuda 80gb Harddrive (and use the crap one i have now to install windows and just normal programs and music, while i install my games on the seagate mobo)

1gig of OCZ Premier ram (and upgrading to 2gigs when i get the money, not real big difference between 1T and 2T

Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro heatsink

(i of course will try to overclock a bit, at least to 3500+ speeds and beyound)

and what is there to say about the vid memory and such? its in my bloody sig, sit and read it. Second i never bashed intel in such a long long time. This is like one of the few threads i even bother to post in or create. So i dont know were your getting your news from, but you better stick your head outa your Arse and youll see what i typed out.

Maybe i might go with intel, i have huge hopes for conroe. (i mean it will kick AM2 out of the water) but i dont have such disposable income, so ill just fix my computer first and give it life once again until i really need to upgrade to a new processor (which will be a good long time, especialy if i overclock)

Dybowski

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
invest in a nforce 4 mobo with sata2 and a good BIG hard drive with 16mb buffer and all the goodies you dont need to overclock youre proc youre 6600gt is already bottlenecking youre processor i havea 3200 and i didnt have to overclock at all i tried and saw no ifference in games and everyday use so i just set it back. so chech it invest in a good 2 gb kit and a big hardrive with a big buffer, and a nforce4 mobo ultra preferably.

sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
im sorry but your the biggest idiot ive ever met, get an nforce 4?!!!! the ULI chipset actualy performes very close and sometimes better then Nforce4, it was pernounced the best budget chip. Second, either your blind or not, but nforce 4 comps consists of PCIE and my 6600gt is AGP8x, second, why the hell will i need a nforce4 anyway? like you said, overclocking is not important now, so what would i need nforce4? SLI? yeah right, thats a HUGE waste of money. (and anyway, why would i buy a second 6600gt? mine as well spend it on something better, a 6800gs)

And why would i need such a harddrive? Obviously your ignorant, cause such a harddrive will cost alot and i dont need such space or need that much cache cause even the normal harddrives that are out there (seagate and such) shouldnt cause any lag in my games, if it does, then its AMD that sucks and ill never buy one, so in other words, if i purchase these parts, and get a better harddrive, mobo and ram, and i test it on games and if i get a single pause or getting single pauses here and there (ie Farcry) then im selling this computer and getting Intel.

Dybowski

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
you sir are a retard i was simply reccomending the nf4 for a good upgrade path sata 3.0gbs, 2lan prts etc. also if youre looking for a ok performing drive then go ahead but it will most likely bottleneck youre system unless you get a raptor or a nice 3.0gbs drive with 16mb cache. iwasent reccomending sli either and agp i dying so i dont know why you would "upgrade to and agp board" if you are going to stay with agp i would suggest getting a asrock dual as it has a uli chipset and has a agp slot and a pciexpress slot giving you a good upgrade path as you will upgrade soon enough and thers no point in wasting money.

its people like you who give amd a bad name,people who are retards and who dont know how to use computers correctly and listen to others opinnions

if you came here just to tell people youre computer sucks and its an amd so that must be a problem and im going intel you have come to the wrong place

im feel really sorry for peoplle like you who lack the capicity to listen to advice and solve problems.

shadow88

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
So, your system had obvious bottlenecks from the beginning. You sound like you don't fully understand whats going on here, which is fine and thats why people post on forums... to learn. So you post here and have your little rant and rave for fun. Honest people pitch in and try to offer your their opinions. All the games you mentioned are on the higher end for graphics. And clearly your system is bearly going to be capable. The symptons you described were clearly that your hard drive is dying as it could not keep up. So you post benchmarks, people read this forum and say "oh, I know what could help this person". Everyone offers their best advice with decent options in my opinion. Your hard drive was obviously dying, which who knows how old it is etc etc, time for a new one. Welcome to the world of computers!!! Everything suggested was perfectly reasonable. Then you their advice and bash the advice and everyone... EVERYONE AND EVERY idea. And worst of all, you bash AMD. I think AMD is one hell of a competitor with Intel. Don't you dare bash any of them. All I guess I can say is that I hope you realize that you are the people that create useless untrue rumors about companies that don't deserve it. Also, disregarding everyone's advice and effort to try and put you back on a good path, when in my opinion was needed is just plain dumb. Also, I would hope that you don't post any more uesless posts that all people get out of it is "another idiot YAY!" unless your really willing to appreciate the willing people that are out there to help each other. May sound gay but that is the only way forums exist...

PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE. I'm done now :D :D :D

shadow88

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
umm yeah my bad. I thought AMD was originally a Canadian company. Why I've thought that for so long, I have no idea. I think it was somehow related to the fact that I've never actually researched about it and was told by a friend years and years back. My mistake i guess... hehe

sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Ususaly i dont accept retarded advises. The retard was telling me to get a NForce 4 chipset board. Here is my impression of him "Hey buddy, im a bloody retard so im going to tell you to get an Nforce 4 chip and let you waste your money on a new video card when i know for a fact that looking at the upgrades your making, you dont have alot of money, and im going to say upgrade now cause even if DirectX10 cards are coming out, im still a bloody idiot, hahhahaha f!ck"

I usualy accept all advises, until some of them are too retarded, then i give up on you.

Im replaceing thoes parts and THATS final. Maybe ill get a 16mb of cache harddrive, but since the seagate pwns and they only have 8mb of cache, yeah it makes alot of sence :roll:

Yeah i like to post fake things about AMD, yeah real nice buddy on already displaying of who i am when you just met me. I am no fanboy, but when i have bad experience with 1's company, i ususaly not go back to them, AMD though is special so im going to try to fix this god forsaken rig. But if it doesnt work out, then its goodbye to AMD. I have to admit though, the socket A was the best socket there ever was. Great processors.

And good sir you are a retard, more then I am, for a fact that I already listed the ULI Asrock mobo up there but i guess your too stupid to even read. The thing is, i know quite a bit about computers, but i rather keep my head outa my arse so i can start looking at other possiblities instead of saying "1 company (AMD) is god of all creations" but i rather look around and say "well i see that Single core Intel pwns amd at multitasking, since im no hardcore gamer, thats ok for me, i play quite a few games here and there, but thats about all" Both are great processors, but once i get into stability issues, then i start to round down the issues, but this case, i dont know exactly what.

The thing is www.ncix.com, i trust thoes guys more then you guys for a fact that ive been on that forums site for over 2 years and read and learned from thoes guys, and they never EVER gave me retarded suggestions like "upgrading to PCI-E when i never said i was upgrading my video card to begin with right now, and second, i cant afford a new video card but getting a suggestion that to upgrade to nforce4" i dont know what you've been smoking, but you should stop before it really screws you up.

shadow88

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
alrighty. yay! we back on track.

Nforce 4 chipset is a very good multimedia chipset produced. Its the general option people buy these days. There are very cheap Nforce 4 motherboards that get the job done.

Would you mind listing the current hardware you have right now currently that you are trying to fix. The more Info we have the better the advice.