tunnel established but can't ping remote network apart vpn..

client : saferemote vpn client on win XP
server : Zyxel Zywall 50

Connexion goes up but i just can receive ping replies from the remote lan ip
of the zyxel router.

Pinging any pc on the remote network do not return any reply.

Adding a static route on the remote lan PCs don't change anything :
route add <vpn client wan ip> mask 255.255.255.255 <vpn router lan ip>

Anyone met this kind of trouble ?

Philippe Torres wrote:
> client : saferemote vpn client on win XP
> server : Zyxel Zywall 50
>
> Connexion goes up but i just can receive ping replies from the remote lan ip
> of the zyxel router.
>
> Pinging any pc on the remote network do not return any reply.
>
> Adding a static route on the remote lan PCs don't change anything :
> route add <vpn client wan ip> mask 255.255.255.255 <vpn router lan ip>
>
> Anyone met this kind of trouble ?

Try from another PC.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

"Philippe Torres" <djeunk@club-internet.fr> schrub am 13 Nov 2004:

> client : saferemote vpn client on win XP
> server : Zyxel Zywall 50
>
> Connexion goes up but i just can receive ping replies from the
> remote lan ip of the zyxel router.
>
> Pinging any pc on the remote network do not return any reply.
>
> Adding a static route on the remote lan PCs don't change anything :
> route add <vpn client wan ip> mask 255.255.255.255 <vpn router lan
> ip>
>
> Anyone met this kind of trouble ?

Yep. Just up to a few minutes back, I had the same problem. But I think
I found the solution:

* the remote address has to be a subnet which is not in the
addressrange of the destination network.
* NAT Traversal has to be enabled, if there are some other routers in
between (e.g. You are behind a cable/DSL-Modem with router)
* both networks may not share the same address-range. (e.g.
192.168.1.0) unless NAT is setup properly. (This I am investigating
further)

HTH

--
cheers /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
hELMUT \ /

Thanks for responding, Helmut.

I am aware about the different subnet addresses condition. But on the
client side, i just have a public address given by the ISP, no LAN.

I guess it's more to do with NAT traversal even if my broadband modem is
supposed to be just that, a modem and not a router (it's a "blackbox"
leased by the ISP) and in that case, no NAT is needed.

The Zyxel supports it but i am not sure about the VPN client NAT-T support.

My VPN client version is exactly "IPSEC Dialup client" Safenet SoftRemote
9.2.1 (build 2)
I didn't find any parameter to tweak NAT-T on this client unlike in SSH
sentinel.