purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I'm OC'd to 2.3 with my 3800+, up from 2.0. My idle temperature is around 49-51C depending on ambient. Load can get as high as 60C. Should I de clock and wait to get some water cooling on here? I'm using the Stock cooler with the stock thermal pad, i'm thinking I might order some AS5 and try that...

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Ok, the cuplprit is bad case airflow. the CPU temp drops about 10 C once the side is off the case. So I need another fan in the back of the case. hmm... I'll have to look around in my piles of computer parts for another 90mm fan.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
good suggestion is to cut a hole in the top of the case and put a fan between the psu and cdrom. Second is to remove the psu and mount outside of case. I found when I had prebuilt cases the psu cause so much heat in the case and when I mounted it outside thing got better with the temps.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I agree that your high temps are coming from bad airflow. Adding fans will help, but not significantly. However if you mod the case, like create a chamber to keep the hot air in one area that gets exhausted right away, rather than having like 3x fans blowing air on it, and 3x exhausting.

This guide may help: http://overclockers.com/tips1187/

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Untill you get better cooling stay away from ocing untill then, well a little but not too much. I hate to see you weaken your part for a little performance. Take a look at my pic of the case I built and this may spark you to build your own for good air flow, a computer needs more than just cpu gpu cooling if you really want to enjoy the speed of ocing.

My pic clearly shows the blacked coils, this is from extreme power being generated in a tiny little coil. I can say that the 2 fans I installed along with the water has allowed my to reach the speed I wanted without the heat.

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I've just taken the side off of my case again, and it's been idle 40 and load 50 now. If it doesn't maintain this level of temperature, then i'll drop it back down. It's hard to come up with money for stuff like this as a student, so many damn engineering text books... blah! Makes me wish I was in the army again with all that disposeable income! mmm....

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Find some cereal boxes and scotch tape, you can get a good wind tunnel design with the duct mod im recommending you build. It will provide significant drop in temps, my A64-3000 was 40C/55C before the mod, and now its 25C/35C