Another PSU recomendation thread...

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Here's the deal.

I've just finallized what components I want in an upgrade to my computer. I recently checked my current PSU, and found it is only 400w. I thought it was somewhere around 450 - 500 but apparently I was wrong. I've been doing okay so far using this on my current computer, but I don't know if it will work for my upgrade. The new computer stats are below.

The New Parts
-----------------
MoBo - Giga-byte GA-K8N Pro-SLI
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo
RAM - Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200
Video - eVGA Geforce 7800GT

The other exsisting stuff
-----------------------------

DVD-ROM Drive
CD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive
120GB Seagate Barracuda (SATA I)
Sound Blaster Audigy 1 Gamer (no extra power required)
5 Case fans

That is what my current setup will be when I get the new components. However, in about two months or so I plan on adding the stuff below.

Western Digital Raptor 36GB (One only for system drive)

Western Digital Raptor 74GB (Two for storage & games in RAID 0)

eVGA Geforce 7800GT (To complete my SLI setup)

As you can see I'll have quite a bit to worry about. I would love to think that my 400w PSU can handle it, but with 3 Raptor's, 2 Geforce 7800's and the MoBo, I'm skeptical.

Can someone help me out here? The last PSU I purchaced (my current one), I bought while in Korea while in the Air Force. As a result I don't know any good reputable brands or specific PSU's that will suit my needs. I honestly don't even know how much power I will need. Please give me some suggestions.

I saw a link in a different thread to a wattage calculator. According to that my wattage for my fully upgraded system is around 472 watts. To me that says at least 500 watts, or more likely 550 so I have a little breathing room. Does this sound right? Any particular brand and/or model? Thanks for all your help!

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
After finding some links and doing some of my own research, I'm strongly leaning towards the OCZ PowerStream 520. Would this be a decent choice? I know I would need one molex to SATA adapter once I get my new hard drives later, but that won't really be an issue. Thanks for the help!

MinorDamage

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2005
What are your priorities?
SLI, yes. Low sound, yes? High efficiency? Modular cables? PFC/APFC? And your system draw?

The OCZ psu is fine if you don't mind spending some time cleaning up your cables. The OCZ has adjustable rails, however, if you're not into fine tuning your system then the PSU below is a good alternative.

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W
Pros: Nice cables, modular, sleaved. SLI, 20+4 mainboard connector, SATA II & IDE, Active PFC, very stable, quiet 120mm fan - auto-adjusts with temp, priced cheaper than the OCZ.
Cons: 3ys warranty (OCZ has 5 and excellent return policy).

A good review of the ps can be found at Silentpcreview:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article279-page1.html

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Thanks for the reply. Although since I got no initial replies I went and looked at what my local CompUSA had to offer. I ended up getting an OCZ Modstream 520w It's been working so far and I can't hear the power supply fan over my 5 other fans anyway. :D