Sign in with
Your question

NEW Video Editor PC Build

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2006 4:34:56 AM

This is intended to be used mostly for video editing, I am not a big Gamer.

Please Let Me Know What You Think

CASE
Antec PlusView II $78.45 - shopperwiz.com IN HAND :D 

POWER SUPPLY
Ultra X-Connect 500W Power Supply Green/Black ($100 -100MIR) IN HAND

MOTHERBOARD
Asus P5WD2-E Premium $230 ZipZoomFly

PROCESSOR
Intel® Pentium® D Processor 940 $445 ZipZoomFly

RAM
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO 2GB $347 ZipZoomFly Shipped

HARD DRIVE
WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB Serial ATA $280 ZipZoomFly Removed
West. Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM $154 ZipZoomFly Shipped
West. Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM $89 ZipZoomFly Shipped

HSF
Zalman CNPS9500 LED $55 ZipZoomFly

I Currently have a Video Card, Monitor, and A DVD Burner

Please let me know if you think there anything else I will need, or If there is anything you would recommend instead

Thanks In advance for your feedback

More about : video editor build

February 22, 2006 5:18:27 AM

if you know how to make a raid 0 another 150 gb hd
February 22, 2006 6:19:30 AM

Most of it looks pretty good (and expensive - I'm jelous) but I would look at the HDD configuration. NLEs have to move a lot of data in big streams, mainly during rendering so addition data paths are usually better than fewer, but faster ones.

Based on my own experience using Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6, and I'd assume that Premiere, Avid, etc are similar, I've seen big advantages by separating the OS and data drives.

My own system has a 36GB Raptor for the OS and it's swap file. This drive also has the LE software on it. If you can afford the 150GB then good, but the OS, Page file and any SW for a NLE wouldn't get any where near the 36GB, let alone 74/150GB. The Raptor's big advantage here is the fast access (5ms IIRC) rather than any transfer speed.

Then I have separate 7200RPM drives for the video and the temporary files that LE makes. It's important to keep these off the OS drive for bandwidth reasons. You could use the 150GB Raptor here, or RAID. I've heard (but not tried myself) that RAID 5 doesn't give the advantages it should for NLEs, RAID0 does work well. Transfer speed is priority here (SATA 3Gbps) rather than asscess speed because rendering requires streaming big chunks (GBytes) of data.

Depending on the NLE you use, an OpenGL accelerated (nvidia Quadro or ATI FireGL) rather than a true 3D gaming card would help a lot with the interactive aspects of the system. But of course the additional cost of those cards may not be worth it, or better spent elsewhere.

Hope that helps
Related resources
February 22, 2006 4:03:26 PM

Would I be Better off with 2 Hard drives

Primary OS
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM

Additional one for video editting purposes
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM

As Opposed to just one
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM

What would be better, and are those good Drive selections?
February 22, 2006 4:34:15 PM

You would definately be better off with the 2 hard drives than just one (and you'll have more space for video on top of the preformance gains).
February 22, 2006 4:40:23 PM

Yep, get a smaller raptor for the system drive and as big a second drive as you can afford for data (can be slow drive). Also, have you checked the compatibility of your current video card with the chipset of the MB? Its nitpicking, but sometimes there may be issues with performance.
February 22, 2006 5:00:03 PM

Can someone suggest a decent Video Card to go with this system.

I currently have an old video card, but I could probably use a new one.

I don't want to spend more then $400 And I def want a PCI-Express

Thanks
February 22, 2006 5:51:12 PM

If this computer is not going to be used for a lot of gaming then all you need is a good video card with perhaps VIVO or a secondary card for importing video. Video editing is 2D while programs like 3D Studio Max and Lightwave would benefit from a top of the line rendering hardware like the 7800 or 1900 series.

I personally use an Nvidia 6600GT with VIVO (Video In Video Out) for video editing and light 3D rendering. If you plan on doing HD quality things then you want the X1300 and above or with Nvidia the 6600GT and up because of their hardware rendering capacity with HD (hardware acceleration is improved with these cards). Long story short, almost any card would do fine. Just pick one with the features you want and that is compatible with your chipset (MB).
February 22, 2006 7:25:13 PM

Which NLE are you using, some, like Liquid Edition, make use of the card (OpenGL interface) for realtime effect rendering If so then the faster the better, and the more memory e.g. LE needs at least 256MB for HD editing. If it is LE that youre using then an nvidia 6600GT/ATI X800 would be the minimum I'd recommend.

As I said earlier OpenGL accelerated cards (Workstation class) are really expensive....

VIVO can be useful, you probably wouldn't use it much if you have a digital camera, but on those occasions that you do (e.g. capturing some old analog footage on Betamax tape) it's a godsend. Also, the presence of VIVO indicates a better quality card (Yeah, a pretty broad statement I know).
February 22, 2006 7:33:27 PM

Some more......

Whichever card you get, dual DVI would be a good idea. This is to drive dual monitors. Once you have used a NLE with the timeline spread across 2 monitors, using a single one seems so cramped. The monitors would be placed side-by-side for a wide workspace, allowing long timelines, source, output, and project resources/racks to be visable at once.

Identical monitors are better.

The HDD's you mention would be fine (I got my Raptor way back, I don't think that the 74GB was out - certainly not in RSA). For the data drive, the bigger the better, and the 16MB cache won't hurt.

Big RAM is good too, NLEs use as much as they can get (2GB on XP).

www.videoguys.com have a forum that discusses NLE hardware that can be interesting, and you would get more relevant advice than on a general forum, or one that is more game oriented.
February 22, 2006 7:55:23 PM

Still more .....

Stability above performance - eaking out a few percent speed increase at the expense of stability is just not worth it. This is especially true when you finally render the output video.

It's quicker to render once for 90 minutes than have to do it twice with a setup that should have taken 85 minutes and crashed because you managed to shave a single clock cycle off the DDR SDRAM timings, or whatever.

Scratching for the equivalent of a couple FPS in a game is just not worth it.

In general, use the best quality components you can, and those are not necessarly the same as the best performing components.
February 23, 2006 12:00:30 PM

id get an athlon x2, they offer way better performance.
February 23, 2006 1:56:23 PM

When looking into the Matrox line of cards look at their compatibility list – these cards have a list of chipsets they are not combatable with.
February 23, 2006 3:03:03 PM

I think the biggest issue to consider when trying to decide what hardware to buy for a video editing system is what formats you are going to be working with, and what format you eventually want your video encoded in. If you're using SD or an older analog format you're going to need less power under the hood so to speak than if you're working with an HD format. In my experience newer ATI cards (X1x00 series) do an admirable job of encoding video in MPEG-1/2/4 and H.264 formats and would save you a considerable amount of encoding time when compared to waiting for your processor to encode the video by itself. The all-in-wonder variants of these products also have convenient analog video inputs IF you're using that. Matrox professional cards have a good reputation as far as video editing is concerned, but have considerably less 3d processing power. If you don't mind my asking, are you going to be editing video from one source (i.e. one particular camera and format), or from multiple sources?

oh, IMHO using workstation graphics cards such as ATI FireGL and Nvidia Quadro are only a wise buy as a video editor if you're doing DCC as well or if you have an insane budget.
February 23, 2006 3:42:01 PM

I think this is pure shit, its a disgrace, do you even know what you are doing....Seek help immediately.
February 24, 2006 3:51:17 PM

I plan on doing a little analog to digital conversion. However I would Like a to be able to do some HD capure/editing in the future. I would like a Video card that would support an HD Input
!