Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Printing on (noth sides of) card (Epson 750)?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
December 12, 2004 2:27:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

It's Christmas card time again, and I'm rediscovering a problem I had
last year. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I have some coated 10x7 (7x5 folded) card stock that I print a photo
on the front of, and want to print your standard greeting on the 'inside'
(non-coated) side.

I generally have no problem printing on the coated side, but when I try to
print on the reverse, I have a lot of trouble. At least one in five cards
fails to feed correctly -- perhaps not grabbing at all, or sometimes going
*all* the way through. Attempts to correct things soemtimes result in
printing without any paper present, so I'm faced with wiping out all the ink
before I can safely print again!

I assume the problem is that the feed mechanism has a hard time with
the coated surface. (I do make sure the first pass has dried well before
I try to print the greeting.) Is there any trick to ensure that the
card feeds properly? I've tried both the 'card' and 'normal' settings
of the thickness lever without much obvious difference.

-- Pete --

--
============================================================================
The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
(If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)
============================================================================
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 6:46:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Yet another case...

Seek out my recent posting regarding to how to fix feeding problems on
Epsons (Re: Which Printer), from 6:50 AM my time, 12/11/04. If you
follow those instructions it will probably resolve this problem.

Art


Pete wrote:

> It's Christmas card time again, and I'm rediscovering a problem I had
> last year. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
>
> I have some coated 10x7 (7x5 folded) card stock that I print a photo
> on the front of, and want to print your standard greeting on the 'inside'
> (non-coated) side.
>
> I generally have no problem printing on the coated side, but when I try to
> print on the reverse, I have a lot of trouble. At least one in five cards
> fails to feed correctly -- perhaps not grabbing at all, or sometimes going
> *all* the way through. Attempts to correct things soemtimes result in
> printing without any paper present, so I'm faced with wiping out all the ink
> before I can safely print again!
>
> I assume the problem is that the feed mechanism has a hard time with
> the coated surface. (I do make sure the first pass has dried well before
> I try to print the greeting.) Is there any trick to ensure that the
> card feeds properly? I've tried both the 'card' and 'normal' settings
> of the thickness lever without much obvious difference.
>
> -- Pete --
>
December 12, 2004 6:46:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <xJZud.62239$6f6.12659@edtnps89>,
Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:
>Yet another case...
>
>Seek out my recent posting regarding to how to fix feeding problems on
>Epsons (Re: Which Printer), from 6:50 AM my time, 12/11/04. If you
>follow those instructions it will probably resolve this problem.
>
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

It happens that I don't have any window spray handy, but I believe it is
essentially ammonia and isopropyl alcohol? I suspect that commercial
products also contain some detergent, which I'm not sure I want to put
through my printer...

[For fun, I did a google for 'window cleaning liquid ingredients' and
got quite a range of suggestions, from the above to vinegar, to even
a mixture of vinegar, ammonia, and baking soda! Must have frothed up
beautifully...! (Then there was the science project that aimed to
show the superiority of Windex, and found that plain water was even
even better on the dirt she tried! (:-))]

Cheers,
-- Pete --

--
============================================================================
The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
(If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)
============================================================================
Related resources
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 6:48:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

My clock appears to be a few minutes fast, or the internet is running
slow ;-)

Check RE: Which Printer, 6:47 AM 12/11/04, Toward the bottom of the posting.

Art
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:34:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Typically, most ammoniated window cleaners contain water, ammonia (at
about a 10:1 mix using household ammonia) alcohol, and glycol. Oh yes,
and some very pretty blue colorant.

I would not use a vinegar based type (Windex now has a household formula
that is vinegar based). Yes, adding vinegar and ammonia much create
some type of salt, not sure that makes sense.

Art

Pete wrote:

> In article <xJZud.62239$6f6.12659@edtnps89>,
> Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>Yet another case...
>>
>>Seek out my recent posting regarding to how to fix feeding problems on
>>Epsons (Re: Which Printer), from 6:50 AM my time, 12/11/04. If you
>>follow those instructions it will probably resolve this problem.
>>
>
> Thanks, I'll give it a try.
>
> It happens that I don't have any window spray handy, but I believe it is
> essentially ammonia and isopropyl alcohol? I suspect that commercial
> products also contain some detergent, which I'm not sure I want to put
> through my printer...
>
> [For fun, I did a google for 'window cleaning liquid ingredients' and
> got quite a range of suggestions, from the above to vinegar, to even
> a mixture of vinegar, ammonia, and baking soda! Must have frothed up
> beautifully...! (Then there was the science project that aimed to
> show the superiority of Windex, and found that plain water was even
> even better on the dirt she tried! (:-))]
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pete --
>
December 14, 2004 1:48:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <Bwjvd.69731$6f6.29894@edtnps89>,
Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:
>Typically, most ammoniated window cleaners contain water, ammonia (at
>about a 10:1 mix using household ammonia) alcohol, and glycol. Oh yes,
>and some very pretty blue colorant.
That's pretty much what I thought.

>
>I would not use a vinegar based type (Windex now has a household formula
>that is vinegar based). Yes, adding vinegar and ammonia much create
>some type of salt, not sure that makes sense.
No, I wouldn't want to put anything acidic through my machine. (Or even
ammonium acetate, that I guess you'd get from mixing!) I was only reporting
what I read.

I mixed up some 'fluid' with something like 15% each ammonia and alcohol
(didn't bother with the glycol... or the colour!(:-)) and tried your
procedure. Seemed to work. I ran the remaining cards through carefully,
but they did all feed correctly.

Thanks much.
-- Pete --

--
============================================================================
The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
(If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)
============================================================================
!