Choosing between a WD 80gb WD800JD/Seagate 80gb 7200.9!

ashrym

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Alright, first off, I'm not disputing the efficiency differences between SATA I and SATA II. My mobo doesn't even support SATA II. I'm having a tough time choosing between the Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA II ($70.50 with SATA cable and shipping) or the Western Digital WD800JD 80gb SATA 150 ($63.50 with SATA cable. I was wondering about the speed differences between the 2.

I have an Asus P4C800 Deluxe Mobo, so they'll both be running as SATA 150. The one thing that really appeals to me about the Seagate is the fact that they have a 5 year warranty as opposed to WD's 3 year. I keep hardware for a long time, so it matters to me. I'm upgrading from an old WD 30gb that has served me well for a little over 5 years. Though, I've heard that their quality has supposedly declined since then.

I guess I mainly want to know the speed differences between the two. I couldn't find a juxtaposition between the two. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help! :)

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Alright, first off, I'm not disputing the efficiency differences between SATA I and SATA II. My mobo doesn't even support SATA II. I'm having a tough time choosing between the Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA II ($70.50 with SATA cable and shipping) or the Western Digital WD800JD 80gb SATA 150 ($63.50 with SATA cable. I was wondering about the speed differences between the 2.

I have an Asus P4C800 Deluxe Mobo, so they'll both be running as SATA 150. The one thing that really appeals to me about the Seagate is the fact that they have a 5 year warranty as opposed to WD's 3 year. I keep hardware for a long time, so it matters to me. I'm upgrading from an old WD 30gb that has served me well for a little over 5 years. Though, I've heard that their quality has supposedly declined since then.

I guess I mainly want to know the speed differences between the two. I couldn't find a juxtaposition between the two. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help! :)

Considering that it is 80 GB either it is quite expensive.

I paid for 160 GB SATA I 40.00 U$ dollars after rebates!

for 7 U$ dollars diference buy SATA II, you might use it later.
Seagate (retail) has 5 years warranty, while OEM WARRANTY usually are canned after 1 year.

try eWiz.com

ashrym

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Can anyone else comfirm that Seagate only gives 1 yr. warranties for OEM products? If so, what does WD give? You said you paid $40 for a 160gb. I'm assuming it was ATA 100?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Ignore the OEM warranty statement.

Seagates have 5 year warranties as do the "enterprise class" western ditgitals (Raptors and Raid Editions).

If I am not getting a Raptor or an RE drive, I chose Seagate.

Warranties are an excellent predictor of reliablity.

I was given a 1 year warranty 40 GB Western Digital, and it only lasted about 15 months (it was mounted in an external enclosure, but I don't remember ever dropping it). All my other western digitals (most over 4 years old) still work.

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
80GB HDD??? With prices of 250GB HDDs south of $100, 160GB and 200GB even lower then that, why go for an 80GB HDD? You can pick up an SATA cable for like $3 so that should not factor in to the decision. Go for a bigger drive for a few bucks more.

ashrym

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
No, I'll be completely fine with an 80gb. I don't need anymore room than that. I burn all of my excess media and such. The price is to be kept down to a minimum. I just need to know which drive people think I should get.

dakiwi

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I have been a PC Tech for over 10 years and in my experience you would be best only using a Western Digital HDD all the others are crappy compared especially Maxtor, Seagate, and Fujitsu 3.5" models.... to me they make better door stops than drives lol

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I have been building and servicing computers for about 10 years also, and I haven't found WD to be any more reliable than Seagate or Samsung. The last few years Maxtor has been a bit suspect. Fujitsu's IDE drives were garbage, as were IBM's. I have distaste for Hitachi since they are still to closely associated with the IBM Deskstars (Deathstars). I'd take the Seagate and the 5 years warranty.