scenery.cfg file questions

Hi,

I'm a little bit concerned with my scenery.cfg file, and I'm wondering
if it could use a little cleaning up/rebuilding.

Each "area" is numbered; [Area.001] through [Area.073]

By the way, if anyone is interested, [Area.051] is now part of the
MegaScenery PNW, and it's Cape Flattery, which is a very lovely place
(at the NW "tip" of the outer coast of WA; a place where I really
enjoy padding my kayak). Anyway...

Last night, I installed the MegaScenery Pacific Northwest, and before
I did that, I un-installed the Orcas Island Georender (will
re-install today).

The Orcas Island scenery used to be [Area.039], so after I
un-installed it using its own un-installer, I went into my "Addon
Scenery" folder and disabled the entry, then deleted it. When I
looked into my scenery.cfg file today, the entry was still there, so
I removed it. Now, of course, there is a "missing" numbered area (no
more [Area.039]). Does the scenery library care about such things?

Also, most of the numbered "Area" entries are separated by a blank
line, yet several have no blank lines between them. Is this a
problem?

There's another peculiar thing...

Just where is my scenery.cfg file *supposed* to be? It seems that
before my recent re-installation of fs9, it was located here:

....Documents and Settings\Melissa Reese\Application
Data\Microsoft\fs9

Now, after the re-installation of fs9, it seems to be here:

....Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

Finally...

What would happen if (after saving a copy), I deleted the current
scenery.cfg file, then re-started the sim? Would I then have to go
into my scenery library and re-add/reorder all of the "addon"
sceneries? Or would the sim just recognize what's already been set
and rebuild the file?

Thanks!

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.freewebs.com/kuviahunnihautik/

In article <rcm5yiqxliul.dlg@uni-berlin.de>,
> I'm a little bit concerned with my scenery.cfg file, and I'm wondering
> if it could use a little cleaning up/rebuilding.
>
> Each "area" is numbered; [Area.001] through [Area.073]
> more [Area.039]). Does the scenery library care about such things?

Nope, as long as you don't have two with the same number, MSFS is happy

> Also, most of the numbered "Area" entries are separated by a blank
> line, yet several have no blank lines between them. Is this a
> problem?

Nope, the syntax parser in MSFS is fairly robust and will figure this
out. It won't hurt if you add a blank line to make it readable.

You will notice if you use MSFS to move a scenery folder, changing it's
priority, the area numbers won't agree with the priority (LEVEL)
numbers. This is also not a problem. However, if you want to
reorganize scenery.cnf so everything is numbered nicely and there are no
gaps, Rana (the guy who did moving map) has a nice utility which does
this. It also checks for various errors. Let me know if you can't find
it.

> There's another peculiar thing...
>
> Just where is my scenery.cfg file *supposed* to be? It seems that
> before my recent re-installation of fs9, it was located here:
>
> ...Documents and Settings\Melissa Reese\Application
> Data\Microsoft\fs9
>
> Now, after the re-installation of fs9, it seems to be here:
>
> ...Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

This is where it is supposed to be.

> Finally...
>
> What would happen if (after saving a copy), I deleted the current
> scenery.cfg file, then re-started the sim? Would I then have to go
> into my scenery library and re-add/reorder all of the "addon"
> sceneries? Or would the sim just recognize what's already been set
> and rebuild the file?

It will probably crash and burn horribly. MSFS will never go look for
scenery files and modify scenery.cnf. The first several entries in
scenery.cnf are MSFS' default scenery and are required even if you have
add-ons. A lot of stuff is not contained in the addons, and without the
MSFS default entries there, the sim won't have any "safety net" and will
probably crash.

/Chris

In article <MPG.1ce41bac6a45255198969b@news.ucla.edu>,
cthomas@mminternet.com says...
> In article <rcm5yiqxliul.dlg@uni-berlin.de>,
> > I'm a little bit concerned with my scenery.cfg file, and I'm wondering

Also, note that if you go into the config scenery library screen, MSFS
will make a copy called newscenery.cfg (whether or not you change
anyhting). The next you launch MSFS, it will rename scenery to
oldscenery and newscenery to scenery. If you are going to modify
scenery.cfg manually, make sure there is not a newscenery there, or your
changes will get lost. Also, when installing add-ons that update
scenery.cfg, it is good to make sure there isn't a newscenery.cfg, as
not all addons understand about it. (Launch MSFS briefly before
installing addons.)

/Chris

In article <i98akws2oyur.dlg@uni-berlin.de>,
willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net says...
> Hi Chris,
> Thanks for helping me understand all this! :)
> Melissa

You're more than welcome, Melissa. Check out www.ranainside.com for
FlightSim Manager. The utility to diagnose and reformat scenery.cfg is
in the diagnostics section.

/Chris