Your question

newbie questions about effect of OCing CPU vs Memory

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2006 12:44:39 PM

Hi all!
I have a couple of questions for you experts out there :) 
I have been on a lapttop for 4-5 years now and hence completely out of OC for that time (last time was my Tbird 800). So I just want to know If i got my understanding of the current OCing of 939 systems right. So please correct me (thats what i want!) when im wrong.

Ive come to understand that the forum concesus is to get an opty (as cheap as possible) and a good nforce4-sli mb. And I could expect ~0.5+ GHz OC on stock cooling.

Also, My understanding is that you DONT need good memory for this, since the process involves lowering mem multipliers to keep mem at more or less stock speed.

If i would get 2 good sticks of mem, how much gain do you get with mem OC compared to CPU OC? (Im just trying to figure out how to spend my cash most wisely)

Im not an all out gamer, so im not looking to get a high performance GPU.
I do some gaming, so now the question, where is the sweetspot in the GPU market at the moment? GF7800GT? These cards are still a bit on the expensive side for me.

I rather spend some more cash on a solid Case, MB and PSU and buy a new GPU later on.

Ill be grateful for any comments or recomendations!

My plan at the moment is something like this;
opty 144 or 165 depending on price/availability in denmark/sweden
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Antec P150 w. 430w PSU
2x512 mb DDR 3200 (value)
GPU ???

/suras

More about : newbie questions effect ocing cpu memory

February 22, 2006 1:06:46 PM

I haven't tried it myself, but of what i've heard, the difference is ~5%. (between stock memory speeds and OC'd memory speeds). Ofcourse the synthetic benchies do care about memory bandwidth, but the lower latencies on stock speeds are, in practice, almost as fast.

You could spend a lot and OC the memory at 1:1 timings (mem:"FSB"), but if it'd be me, I'd get some good value ram, with cl2 timings (preferrably 2-2-2-5, but i don't think anyone makes such anymore..) at 400mhz.

The new fast 2GB kits are a good option (eg Mushkin Redline XP4000 2Gb), if you want high quality OC ram, but I'm afraid i can't help you with the value brands, other then that OCZ used to make good value ram..

Hope this helps,
Stigge
February 22, 2006 1:10:59 PM

Ok, that sounds resonable.
In other words; the gain from CPU OC is MUCH higher than from Mem OCing.

So then I rather put my cash in 2 larger sticks 2x 1024 instead of some HQ expensive ram.

Any comments on the Antec p150 case or the GPU?
Related resources
February 22, 2006 1:28:32 PM

Dunno about the case, but a 7800GT is a miracoulusly (or something :p  ) cheap card for it's features. You should be able to get one for less than 280€ (that's the lowest in Finland, and your prices are cheaper..). If that is too much, consider a 6800GS, X800XL, X850XT AIW or a X800GTO.
February 22, 2006 1:36:51 PM

Thanks for the response!
February 22, 2006 4:35:54 PM

I hope i dont sound to impatient, but id really like some more comments suggestieons!
/Suras
!