Sign in with
Your question

Tempurature Variance: Should I be worried?

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2006 1:34:49 PM

When I first installed the CPU, it was idling around 38C and ran around 45-48 full load. Since then, I've moved the computer, and the ambiant temp is about 5 F warmer (so about 2C), and now it's idling around 45 and under load is up to 57-59.

Other thermal info: Speedfan has 3 temps listed, 1 is the CPU, 1 should be the Chipset (Which seems to run quite cool at 29-31 idle and under load), not sure what the third is, but it idles around 78-80, and gets up to 85 under load.

It also has my HD running at 60C (I don't believe it, I have an external sensor that places it more likely around 35-40), and one other temp that sits at 22C (Extra unused header somewhere?)

My 7800 GT idles at 42-44, and runs at 60-62 under full load (3DMark06), which seems oddly cool, so I'm not realy worried about it.

My setup is the Antec P160W with the Truepower II 550 (120 MM fan only), I only have the stock Antec 120 MM fan going as an exhaust fan, stock cooler on the CPU with the stock compound, and the stock copper chipset cooler that came on the Epox board.

Should I be worried? Should I add another 120 MM intake fan? Should I use better compound on my CPU? I like that the system is quiet (other than the GPU fan), I'm just looking for options.
February 22, 2006 2:32:04 PM

All those temps look good to me. Only one that seems off base is the 3rd one (78-80). But I wouldn't worry- it's probably screwed up or it's touching a passive heatsink somewhere.

-mpjesse
February 22, 2006 2:55:36 PM

Quote:
When I first installed the CPU, it was idling around 38C and ran around 45-48 full load. Since then, I've moved the computer, and the ambiant temp is about 5 F warmer (so about 2C), and now it's idling around 45 and under load is up to 57-59.

what cpu is that? and what kinda heatsink do you have for it?
Related resources
February 22, 2006 3:21:12 PM

An increase when your ambient temp goes up is expected by the very nature of things, but that much of an increase seems too high to be just the ambient temp. The temps certainly aren't impressive, but they're not exactly worrying.

My question would be, how much time has passed since you first installed the CPU and/or since you last cleaned dust out of the system? Chances are that if you get a can of compressed dry air from any PC shop, open your case, and blow the $#!7 out of it (all puns intended) then you'll be seeing something closer to your original temps. (Not exactly at though, since as you noted, the ambient temperature is a little higher now.)

If you are worried though, adding a fan is not a bad idea. Good airflow is everything and theoretically anyway, cooler components last longer. :) 
February 22, 2006 4:45:26 PM

Quote:

what cpu is that? and what kinda heatsink do you have for it?It's the one in my sig. 3800+ with stock cooling.

As far as time, I built the computer last week.

Right now, I have a cool breeze flowing (outside air) infront of the case, and temps have droped 4-5 degrees.

The 3rd temp seems to be close to what my case thermomitor has that's attached to the chipset heatsink (115-130 F, depending on load), which does have a fan. Not sure what's the second number is then. (I miss Motherboard Monitor).

Any other good monitoring programs? Any way to get MBM to work for my board?

I think I'll just drop the money for a 120mm intake fan. Shouldn't add much noise, and it can't hurt. I might get some Arctic Silver if it's priced well (The Tiger Direct Outlet is 10 minutes from my house)
February 23, 2006 1:53:04 AM

Ok, the extra fan seems to have done very little, realy only droped the HD temp down a good 5-10C, and not much else. And the one I got is pretty noisy if I turn it on full (I have it on my fan control from the PSU).

I think I'll get a quieter one I can put on full, as droping the HD temp is not a bad idea, but still, I find this perplexing. I realy wish I knew what the temp that sticks in the 80s is for.

Any other ideas?
February 23, 2006 12:48:15 PM

Hmm ... if it's all that new and the extra fan didn't help any, the next thing I'd look at is reseating the HSF. It could be a retention clip problem. It seems I recall that kind of being a problem lately actually ... though at the moment I can't recall the source to site for you. :?
February 24, 2006 1:54:04 AM

Actualy, it turns out the room temp was up to 77 f. Once it got down to about 70 f, temps returned to idle around 42-44 c, and full at 50-52 c. Still wish I knew what that 80 c was.

I might replace the cooler with an XP-90C at some point, so i'm just going to watch it carefully for now. It's running nice and quiet at the moment (except for the GPU fan, which is realy only intolerable at bootup) so we'll see.
!