HDD failure at same point at bootup?

RicoSuave

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hard drive runs fine during WinXP install. As drivers are installed one-by-one, the system restarts. Everything is fine to this point. However, somewhere in the list of installing software programs (not drivers -- more like the Windows Update site where Media Player 10 & the .NET framework are) the system will request a reboot.

Upon trying to boot windows & entering the "loading" screen, the Hard Drive will make a loud CLACK/POP sound similar to the sound of a quarter (25¢) being thrown against the case. 8O Quite alarming as you can imagine. The system then sticks at this point with the blue scrolling-thingy moving forever... well, only about 5 minutes. But if a 3700+ would boot up windows in 5 minutes, it never will.

So I hit the reset button and go into Safe Mode and roll-back these software installs. Mysteriously, everything is fine. :? So I figure I can later go back & find out which one is causing my system to poop out; meanwhile, I install Age of Empires 3 (yep, from Microsoft) and wouldn't you know... same thing!

:?: :arrow: My question, WHAT THE SNAP!? What software has the power to cause a hardware failure of the HDD? Is it, in fact, the software? I've been able to replicate these conditions with about 5 different WinXP installs. Any ideas, I'll be sure to get right back to you. THANKS!!
--------------------------------------------------------
{Trying to build}
AMD Athlon 3700+ (San Diego core)
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT
Western Digital (WD4000KD) 400GB SE16
Antec 550W Truepower 2.0

RicoSuave

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Then I'll get started on the DOA form from Newegg.com seeing that it's a brand new OEM drive (had to rip open the anti-static bag). The only pertinent info on there is my ½-day player profile for AoE3 :lol:

Thanks mpjesse. If there is anyone else that can offer a different suggestion that might save me from that route, please let me know.

Very strange diagnostic. I had always read raving reviews of WD's reliability.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Run the manufactures Diagnostic utility (extended test) and check its smart status. 99% of the time a bad drive will fail the tests. The other 1% sometimes means you have to argue with a support tech.

BTW western digital never makes me argue, even when I had weird problems (that when away with the replacement drive they send me)

RicoSuave

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
WINDSHEAR - Like I said earlier, I've only heard great things about it... that's why I went that route.

Codesmith - I'll check out that webpage as soon as I get off work. That you for the great idea. By chance, does WD (or any manufacturer) have a program that can fix these problems. I haven't heard of anything and I'm not sure how on Earth software can affect physical placement of read/write heads, or change the magnetic properties of the permanent magnets inside the HDD... but that's why I'm here afterall, to ask from "experts." :roll:

TRENDING THREADS