Sign in with
Your question

fan up or down?

Last response: in Components
February 22, 2006 2:15:10 PM

Hi, I just installed my Enermax Liberty 620W PSU into my Antec P-180 case. Should the fan of the PSU be up or down?

More about : fan

February 22, 2006 2:39:01 PM

Hey, that's a good quesion! I was just looking at that case the other day in CompUSA and wondering the same thing. It looks to me like it woudn't matter all that much because the fan is either going to be facing the bottom or top and not have a lot of space? Is there a clearance difference between the two?
February 22, 2006 2:58:09 PM

My guess would be.. as long as the screw holes line up.

Hard to say though, it is an interesting question.

Other question is.. on that Liberty PS, does that one fan blow out or taking in air?

I'm guessing take in, so I don't think it would matter, if it mounts either way.
Related resources
February 22, 2006 3:12:43 PM

I'd guess which ever way the fan isn't obstructed...
February 22, 2006 3:34:46 PM

Quote:
I'd guess which ever way the fan isn't obstructed...

Hence the conundrum, have you seen that case? :?:
February 22, 2006 3:42:12 PM

Yes... it's sits on the bottom. That was one case I was consider to get for a future rig.

Still interesting, when you think about what orientation it should be. If it faces up.. looks like the bottom of the motherboard cage is going to block it, though pic's are not too clear, and if its faced down, looks like it still has clearance to grab air from the rear bottom screen and center fan.
February 22, 2006 3:50:39 PM

Quote:
Yes... it's sits on the bottom. That was one case I was consider to get for a future rig.

Still interesting, when you think about what orientation it should be. If it faces up.. looks like the bottom of the motherboard cage is going to block it, though pic's are not too clear, and if its faced down, looks like it still has clearance to grab air from the rear bottom screen and center fan.

I really like that case as well and it's my choice for next build at the moment! In looking at it in person it looks like it all depends upon the size of the PSU and mounting holes. The mobo section seems isolated enough so that either way, given a half inch clearance or so, should be enough for the fan to generate proper air flow. A fan on the back of the PSU would be ideal but I know the current trend is one 120mm fan on the bottom. :roll:
February 22, 2006 3:55:08 PM

Heh.. I re-thought about it.

I'd have the fan UP.

Only thing I can think of for a reason is less... Dust for it to cough up on.

I know it's goin to get dust reguardless, but if its faced down, it would act more like a vacum cleaner.. :lol: 
February 23, 2006 7:38:33 AM

Apparently the fan should face up (this is relative to the orentation of the case :p ) this way it pulls the air down over the HDs.
February 23, 2006 10:04:51 AM

Are we..... looking at the same case??

From the picture of the Antec P-180, what you refer to as hd bays, is where Expansion Cards go, for the motherboard. Its being covered by a holder that has the slidey thingys for the bays.

I could be wrong though... But I don't think I am. :p 

I did see that case in person at CompUSA once. That was about a couple months back though.
February 23, 2006 2:21:08 PM

So, Velocci, what say you?
February 23, 2006 2:37:34 PM

The pattern of the case screws on the PS should only let you install it one way.
February 23, 2006 2:59:59 PM

Quote:
The pattern of the case screws on the PS should only let you install it one way.

Ha, you would think so! But in looking at it in person (and the pics) there are a few different notches and holes so.....

Egg Pic

I know the 'cage' for the PSU is pretty much useless to from what I've read.
February 23, 2006 3:02:33 PM

well right now all i have put together is the case and the PSU. i still haven't received my mobo yet. so i haven't turn on the PSU to find out which direction the air goes for the fan. I installed the PSU fan side up.

Quote:
So, Velocci, what say you?
February 23, 2006 3:05:51 PM

Quote:
well right now all i have put together is the case and the PSU. i still haven't received my mobo yet. so i haven't turn on the PSU to find out which direction the air goes for the fan. I installed the PSU fan side up.

The waiting, yuck! Well let us know what works best because I do like that case.

Did you use the cage for the PSU? Also, I read that the included 80mm 'air guide' or whatever for the video card/CPU actually increases temps, FYI.
February 23, 2006 3:10:15 PM

I pretty much believe the fan is an intake.

If it pushed air up/out, that would just put hot air in the case, which would defeat the purpose of cooling.

The same would apply to cases that would mount above the system board.
February 23, 2006 4:02:35 PM

your avatar lol :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
February 23, 2006 6:14:14 PM

i'll let you guys know when the machine is built. yes i did use the cage for the PSU, i don't think you have a choice. I can't comment on the vga cooler thingy yet cause i didn't install the video card yet, because I have no motherboard yet. :(  i actually got it shipped yesterday but they shipped the wrong one. i got the A8N sli delux, but i ordered the A8N32 sli delux.

Quote:

The waiting, yuck! Well let us know what works best because I do like that case.

Did you use the cage for the PSU? Also, I read that the included 80mm 'air guide' or whatever for the video card/CPU actually increases temps, FYI.
!