Sign in with
Your question

Duel DDR

Last response: in Memory
February 22, 2006 4:23:28 PM

Is duel DDR backwards compatable with single channel? I mean can I buy the duel sticks now (got a really good price on them) and stick them in my single channel board and work? I plan to upgrade to a new board and precessor soon but have the oppertuinity to get the ram now.. will this work?

More about : duel ddr

February 22, 2006 5:04:41 PM

Yes it will work fine.
Dual DDR sticks are just regular single sticks of memory that have been tested to run together in a dual channel setup.
You can buy 2 single sticks of memory and run them just fine in a dual channel setup.

Just make sure that the Memory speed will work with whatever board you will be getting. Intel takes ddr2 memory and AMD is switching to DDR2 memory with the AM2 socket. Dont get the wrong kind.
February 22, 2006 5:07:20 PM

don't confuse Dual Channel and DDR2... DDR2 is 240 pin, and DDR (dual channel or not) is 184 pin.
Related resources
February 22, 2006 5:18:31 PM

I've seen more and more manufacturers start putting "Dual Channel" compatible on their products. Its a total sham! Dual Channel is controlled by the motherboard, not the RAM itself.
They even had the gall to put on the packaging "value RAM cannot be used for Dual Channel mode". I have no idea why, but its super confusing to everyone!
February 22, 2006 9:28:07 PM

I challenge you to a duel!
February 22, 2006 9:43:39 PM

Who put that on their packaging?

Anyways, dual channel is real finnicky. If someone put that label on their memory packaging is <might> be because the two modules had slightly different timings. Or one might have had a different number of chips than the other- another thing that can screw up dual channel.

-mpjesse
February 23, 2006 1:02:51 AM

Quote:
Who put that on their packaging?

Anyways, dual channel is real finnicky. If someone put that label on their memory packaging is <might> be because the two modules had slightly different timings. Or one might have had a different number of chips than the other- another thing that can screw up dual channel.

-mpjesse

Duel! Dual! Duo! doh!

It was Kingston!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
Check out the picture, it says "Not Dual Channel compatible"
That's true about what you say above, but its a single module... I'm not sure why they have that sticker there - perhaps it was a warning that it might be incompatible.

But my pessimistic side would believe otherwise. :) 
February 23, 2006 2:13:05 AM

actually that was an inside joke between me and a friend.. although he hasnt seen it yet...
February 23, 2006 3:55:06 PM

Yeah that's pretty crappy. I wonder why they put that sticker there? I hate to jump to conclusions an accuse Kingston of being greedy...

But they probably are being greedy. :-)

-mpjesse
February 23, 2006 4:07:43 PM

Quote:
I've seen more and more manufacturers start putting "Dual Channel" compatible on their products. Its a total sham! Dual Channel is controlled by the motherboard, not the RAM itself.
They even had the gall to put on the packaging "value RAM cannot be used for Dual Channel mode". I have no idea why, but its super confusing to everyone!
yeah thats true you cant put dual channel ram on a s754 mobo and a noob could get pissed and go to the darkside of intel!
February 23, 2006 4:56:25 PM

I think what you mean dvdpiddy is that 754s don't support Dual Channels, but you can use a Dual Channel DDR kit with them.
February 24, 2006 3:48:12 AM

February 24, 2006 4:22:51 AM

Quote:

I accept your challenge..
February 24, 2006 4:26:51 AM

I was challenging annobis... but since you offer- OK! After all you are the original dueler.
February 24, 2006 7:33:25 AM

ok... you and me.. 3pm at the flag pole... guns.. knives.. axes.. womens panties.. anything goes...
!