Why does my p4 3.8ghz have a core speed of 2852.6Mhz?

xxkillerxx32

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Hey guys, I recently bought a p4 3.8ghz fully built pc and noticed that its performance wasn't as fast as I would have expected so I run cpu-z to see if it really was a 3.8ghz and it was but I saw that the Core speed was at 2852.6Mhz whats strange is that the core speed once in a while jumped to 3852 Mhz but that was just for like 1 second and then went back to 2852.6Mhz and this happened every once in a while. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my system? I am including the screenshot of cpu-z. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Screenshot of cpu-z on my machine:
Http://home.comcast.net/~lirias7/cpu-z.jpg

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Your CPU is throttling, that's part of the P4 design, it slows itself down when it is'nt under load or when it is exceeding its thermal limit.

I would suggest that you monitor your CPU temperature and use ThrottleWatch while running a CPU intensive task like media encoding or a distributed computing client.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Fu*k!!!! Holy sh*t!
Look at the voltage man, is that a bad reading or you CPU is gonna blow?
Unplug that sh*t right now and call a technician!!!

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
make sure the clock speed/FSB isn't set to auto in the BIOS. Also, it could be throttling. What are the temps at idle and load? Disable EIST to fix that problem...

read what SidVicious said...

and yeah, holy cow.. what an awful voltage. If that's truly 3 volts to your proc, I'm surprised it's even running :eek:

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hehehe !

I just noticed that 3.9V figure after you pointed it out, I would chalk it off as a software bug, there is no way a 90nm chip could sustain that for even a nanosecond.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Just to be sure, go to Bios and see if CPU voltage is turned to Auto or go to the Intel site and find the rated voltage for that cpu and set it right. If it's running at that voltage, I really don´t know why that cpu stills living...

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
that's a total ripoff. Where's the speed when you want/need it? The responsiveness just won't be there, and he won't notice any speed increase over a 3.0Ghz proc cuz of that. Disable SpeedStep or EIST. Can you disable that in the BIOS? I don't know if you can, but I certainly would try if i had a proc like that.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Man... 3.920 volts?

Ya think it throttles back after each gulp it takes from that juice?

Gulp - 2852
Ahhh- 3800
Gulp - 2852
Ahhh- 3800
Gulp - 2852
Ahhh- 3800
Gulp - 2852
Ahhh- 3800
Gulp - 2852
Ahhh- 3800

Prescott <--checks pulse :shock: . o O (am I still alive?)

that's a total ripoff.

I share your opinion. Make a CPU that runs hotter-than-hell. Under low-load conditions when it produces less heat it can run at 3.8ghz, but when the going gets tough and you need all of those clock cycles, TOO BAD! Your CPU throttles to "protect itself from overheating".

Intel CPUs are overclocked even if you run them at stock frequencies, it's the only way they could keep up with AMD.

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Go in BIOS and Disable C1Control after that it will be all the time 3.8
Check your CPU code/name to be for P4 3.8 not for 2.8
Check heat problems..HSF or Fan rotation,air flow, thermal paste etc
But i think is C1Control(i had the same problem)

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
that's a total ripoff. Where's the speed when you want/need it? The responsiveness just won't be there, and he won't notice any speed increase over a 3.0Ghz proc cuz of that. Disable SpeedStep or EIST. Can you disable that in the BIOS? I don't know if you can, but I certainly would try if i had a proc like that.
WTF? Ripoff? I'll say it again: WTF?
There's something wrong with bios settings, otherwise didn´t appear 3.9 Volts!
Open your eyes when u see a picture, otherwise you'll say shit...
Ripoff... And that goes to TechnologyCoordinator too.

TomsHardware and others agree with me:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/14/the_p4/

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

TomsHardware and others agree with me:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/14/the_p4/

But what's the point of that? That's 1 case in 100, if so. Can't you see the 3.9 core voltage? Yes, cpu is throthling, wouldn't it be because that voltage? (sure isn´t that high, but sure isn´t 1.7)
Admired though how chip survives

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
cpu-z.jpg

Was that overlooked on the very 1st post, cause of the hyper link? Comeon guys.. stop flaming.

josh_1413

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Why did you get a P4 670 when you could of got an athlon 64 X2 4800+ for that price, and have alot better performance and much cooler temperatures? :(

But what's the point of that? That's 1 case in 100, if so. Can't you see the 3.9 core voltage? Yes, cpu is throthling, wouldn't it be because that voltage? (sure isn´t that high, but sure isn´t 1.7)
Admired though how chip survives

. . .Only one out of three processors seemed to maintain the clock speed even under a high load, which is why we chose it for our subsequent tests. However, we were even more surprised to see that the same phenomenon occurred with this processor when we used a different test system. Again, the benchmark scores became worse with every repetition. . .

. . .So, should a vendor release a product that is only able to run at its maximum performance under special circumstances? The fastest processors certainly are very exclusive devices, but that should not cause more troubles than necessary. The customer wants products that simply work! Think about that before releasing faster products, Intel.

It's not a case of 1 out of 100. Allow me to correct your numbers (according to Tom's Hardware):

It's a case of 66 out of 100. I hope you have one of those 33 procs that will perform as stated by Intel under full load, the other 66 won't.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
So, if you have it and u can´t return it, gotta buy thermalright xp90.(Intel Huge Fail)
Still the point here, is the Vcore dancing in my head...

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
First, you bought a 3.8GHz cpu that will never reach that speed unless you use an extremely efficient cooling solution. Yup it's the design. This is why I laugh at people who get a 3 GHz laptop as the fastest I have seen ANY notebook processor achieve is 1.6GHz. If it runs on battery at that speed (changing bios settings) then the battery will only last about 40 minutes tops and the overall lifespan of the battery will be shortened. I have heard of people manually forcing the actual speed of the cpu (manually forcing settings in bios and uninstalling intel speedstep as well as some minor registry changes) you can get it to run faster, but this will cook the system in less than 3 minutes. Not a good thing.

I'm off subject again, my mind is busy today but I'm not busy enough at work...

Jan 4, 2006
First run CPUID just to make sure you didn't get a remarked CPU and its the correct model.

Second if it is, your P4 like so many others, is desparately trying to save itself from thermal meltdown and trying to keep cool throttling its core to a much lower speed. Liquid cooling or some extreme loud fan assembly may help there.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
if u got a noname mobo id STRONGLY recommend replacing it just to make sure that the voltage isnt 3.9... if its wrong return one of the board...

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
this is dumb... why throw it out the window? Just put better cooling in it and disable the SpeedStepping/throttling. Just need a simple BIOS tweak... :?

admiral25

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
thats the problem with those intels, they dont sell them to much anymore. They usually sell 3.2 ghz and under because anything over 3.2ghz and ur cpu runs hot as hell. AMD is the way to go unless u get a presler dual core those oc to 4.2ghz on air and run awhole lot cooler but still wont beat amd 4800+ dual core let alone a oced dual core opteron.