ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I’ve got a WinXP machine that keeps “loosing” a 400GB SATA drive.
It works fine for a hour or a couple of days, then just disappears. The only error is a “Windows Delay Write Error” any ideas of what to check?

Thanks

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
hit up device manager and hit properties on the hd then scsi props, uncheck both boxes and restart. Also, and probably first, make sure the sata cable isn't loose.

Accident

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I had that error on 2/two harddrives and they both became unusable.
Try what Micaelahess said and if that don't work look for another drive.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
also, hit the ms knowledge base and search on the error, i kinda recall an article about disabling all delayed write actions, slows the drive down a bit but it might fix the issue.

ELGoku

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
It's an early sign that HDD's are dying, I had the same problem on an old PC and yep they died after a while, altho they work fine as a backup drive on a USB device. My suggestion is to sell them CHEAP :twisted:

nextlevel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
i agree with ElGoku, this is coming from someone who does this for a living for 7 years. If the wire isnt loose, from your hard drive to your motherboard, more likely, the drive is going to go out. best bet is to get it replace if u still have warranty, most hard drive company won't replce it under this "assumption", so make up something creative(load clicking noise, bad sectors..etc.)

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I once had a molex adapter fail, the last chunk of metal in one pin fell off somehow and made intermittent contact. Try to update your mb drivers, try another sata slot, and try a different power plug.