I've got awful problems with wind!

gareth

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001

No, this is the right group, not alt.discussion flatulence.

I have been having fun with flight sim, using real world weather and
downloading winds aloft, trying to fly the King Air east to west across the
Pacific, island hopping, and the problem is this.

I can go to high altitude, say 30,000ft and then find I am facing a head-on
80 mph or more headwind and the aeroplane runs out of fuel before reaching
the next island.

On the other hand I can do the same flight at, say 4000 feet, but much more
slowly, the headwind is much less and the aeroplane gets there.

Is there any way on flight sim to get prior knowledge of the wind speed and
direction at various altitudes, without actually going there and finding
out? It is a bit pointless to fly up to 30,000, use a hell of a lot of fuel
in the process and then finding it was a bad move due to an adverse jet
stream.

This must be a problem for real life pilots also. Catching the right
airstream must be as important to pilots as it was to the old time sailing
ship captains.

On the other hand it could be my inexperience and not getting the engine /
propeller speeds optimised for maximum range. I am only a flight sim "nut"
and I have never piloted a real plane in my life.

Has anyone any advice?

Gareth

"Gareth" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote :

> I am only a flight sim "nut"

Don't be so modest, Gareth. You're not only in flight sim, aren't you ?

> Has anyone any advice?

Yeah, find yourself a woman and turn off the computer

Hi Gareth

I live in Canada and I can go to the NAV CANADA web site at the flight
planning page and get all the related aviation weather including the winds
aloft, Im sure that there must be something similar where you are. If you
cant find it online try going out to a local airport and asking pilots where
they get there weather info from, you may even find yourself moving from a
computer into a cockpit...I did!

"Gareth" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message

> No, this is the right group, not alt.discussion flatulence.
>
> I have been having fun with flight sim, using real world weather and
> downloading winds aloft, trying to fly the King Air east to west across
> the Pacific, island hopping, and the problem is this.
>
> I can go to high altitude, say 30,000ft and then find I am facing a
> head-on 80 mph or more headwind and the aeroplane runs out of fuel before
> reaching the next island.
>
> On the other hand I can do the same flight at, say 4000 feet, but much
> more slowly, the headwind is much less and the aeroplane gets there.
>
> Is there any way on flight sim to get prior knowledge of the wind speed
> and direction at various altitudes, without actually going there and
> finding out? It is a bit pointless to fly up to 30,000, use a hell of a
> lot of fuel in the process and then finding it was a bad move due to an
> adverse jet stream.
>
> This must be a problem for real life pilots also. Catching the right
> airstream must be as important to pilots as it was to the old time sailing
> ship captains.
>
> On the other hand it could be my inexperience and not getting the engine /
> propeller speeds optimised for maximum range. I am only a flight sim "nut"
> and I have never piloted a real plane in my life.
>
> Has anyone any advice?
>
> Gareth

gareth

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001

"ehviator" <pandwsnow@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hi Gareth
>
> I live in Canada and I can go to the NAV CANADA web site at the flight
> planning page and get all the related aviation weather including the winds
> aloft, Im sure that there must be something similar where you are. If you
> cant find it online try going out to a local airport and asking pilots
> where they get there weather info from, you may even find yourself moving
> from a computer into a cockpit...I did!

Thanks,

I live in England,

Gareth

On Mon, 09 May 2005 08:49:11 GMT, "Gareth" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote:

>I live in England,

Hi Gareth

A good place to live - just IMO, of course.

<http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGKA.html> gives the weather
information for an airport (Shoreham, in this case), and altering the
letters before the *.html will return data for a different airport.

Not that the above helps you overly much. However, delving a bit more
deeply into the site <URL:http://weather.noaa.gov/index.html> may well
prove to be fruitful.

Regards
James

gareth

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001

"James Hodson" <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message

> <http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGKA.html> gives the weather
> information for an airport (Shoreham, in this case), and altering the
> letters before the *.html will return data for a different airport.
>
> Not that the above helps you overly much. However, delving a bit more
> deeply into the site <URL:http://weather.noaa.gov/index.html> may well
> prove to be fruitful.
>
> Regards
> James