Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my daughters PC.
Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or words to
that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator rights,
Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came up with
nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with administrator
rights you could make any changes you wanted to?

--

Kenny

Greetings --

You'll need to look to Symantec for assistance with your Norton
Antivirus. As you've discovered, this has nothing to do with Windows.
You might try looking in the Help files that accompanied the NAV
installation - they'll explain how to use the product.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my
> daughters PC.
> Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or
> words to
> that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator
> rights,
> Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came
> up with
> nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with
> administrator
> rights you could make any changes you wanted to?
>
> --
>
> Kenny

I believe that's a part of norton, not of windows. norton
has the ability to control web use and has its own set of
accounts. When you originally set it up I believe there's
an option to password protect the settings, and that's why
it won't let you - if neither of you can remember it, you
may have to re-install norton or contact symantec -
www.symantec.com

~Cameron

Norton (Symantec) issue not XP. Go to Symantecs (Nortons) site (linked below)
and type Supervisor in the search field. There should be an article that
solves your problem.

http://www.symantec.com/search/

"Kenny" wrote:

> Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my daughters PC.
> Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or words to
> that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator rights,
> Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came up with
> nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with administrator
> rights you could make any changes you wanted to?
>
> --
>
> Kenny

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Thanks for the replies, will look into it from the Norton angle rather then
XP.

--

Kenny

"NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Norton (Symantec) issue not XP. Go to Symantecs (Nortons) site (linked
below)
> and type Supervisor in the search field. There should be an article that
> solves your problem.
>
> http://www.symantec.com/search/
>

> "Kenny" wrote:
>
> > Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my daughters
PC.
> > Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or words to
> > that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator
rights,
> > Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came up
with
> > nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with
administrator
> > rights you could make any changes you wanted to?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Kenny

Kenny--

With respect to Norton Antivirus, it usually means it's broken and you need
to uninstall it and reinstall it. If it won't remove from Add/Remove, and
it won't often, you need to use a special removal tool provided in the
Norton KB , delete certain registry GUIDs and other keys, and certain files
the KB will guide you to do. This is an example of these directions in a
Norton KB for NAV 2004:

http://tinyurl.com/3xntb

This is different if you are using Norton Internet Security with NAV
included.

As posters have said, this is a Norton term and has nothing to do with
Windows Administrative priveleges. There is a KB on NIS that talks about
the Norton Supervisor, but it doesn't directly help. Norton Help and
Support doesn't mention it. This is the KB (it's url had 524 characters)for
Norton Internet Security for example dealing with the Norton Supervisor
Status and how to configure it. You won't be able to configure NSW or NAV
in it or stand alone this way:

http://tinyurl.com/2sv7o

Make sure that you have NIS Supervisor rights
You must have NIS Supervisor rights to configure some of the options below.
To determine whether you have NIS Supervisor rights, click User Accounts on
the left side of the NIS interface. On the right side of the interface (1a
in the image below), the text "You are logged in as" appears if you are
logged in. Locate the user that you are logged in as in the User Accounts
table, and ensure that user is type "Supervisor." If you do not have
Supervisor privileges, or are not logged on, log on as a user that has
Supervisor privileges.

NIS user accounts configuration interface overview
1.. Open Norton Internet Security Professional.
1.. In this example, Supervisor is the logged on account (1a). This
indicates that the Supervisor account is already being used. This is the
default setting, which appears after the initial installation and restart.
2.. The Not Logged On (1b) user account is always created when the user
accounts are being used. The default account level for this user is
Restricted.

3.. To create a single NIS user account, click Create Account (2a). If
you need to create multiple NIS user accounts, click Productivity Control
Wizard (2b). Follow the instructions in the sections below to perform the
desired actions.
I don't see this interface ever with NAV or NSW. And I don't find any Norton
KBs in searching that talk about the Norton Supervisor in the context of NAV
or NSW. By experience, if you get that box that says "You're Not the Norton
Supervisor" with either of these two (that is Kenny your daughter doesn't
have NAV in NIS, then it's broken and you are going to have to remove it and
reinstall it. If it won't remove from Add and Remove, then what you want to
use is something like this (I don't know what version of NAV your daughter
has). Go to
http://www.symantec.com/search/ and put in search "removing Norton antivirus
[whatever version you have] Add/Remove won't work if it doesn't work.

http://tinyurl.com/3xntb

hth,

Chad Harris
_____________________________

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my daughters PC.
Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or words to
that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator rights,
Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came up with
nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with administrator
rights you could make any changes you wanted to?

--

Kenny

TRENDING THREADS