Supervisor?

Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my daughters PC.
Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or words to
that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator rights,
Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came up with
nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with administrator
rights you could make any changes you wanted to?

--

Kenny
5 answers Last reply

    I believe that's a part of norton, not of windows. norton
    has the ability to control web use and has its own set of
    accounts. When you originally set it up I believe there's
    an option to password protect the settings, and that's why
    it won't let you - if neither of you can remember it, you
    may have to re-install norton or contact symantec -
    www.symantec.com

    ~Cameron

    Norton (Symantec) issue not XP. Go to Symantecs (Nortons) site (linked below)
    and type Supervisor in the search field. There should be an article that
    solves your problem.

    http://www.symantec.com/search/

    "Kenny" wrote:

    > Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my daughters PC.
    > Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or words to
    > that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator rights,
    > Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came up with
    > nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with administrator
    > rights you could make any changes you wanted to?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Kenny

    Greetings --

    You'll need to look to Symantec for assistance with your Norton
    Antivirus. As you've discovered, this has nothing to do with Windows.
    You might try looking in the Help files that accompanied the NAV
    installation - they'll explain how to use the product.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my
    > daughters PC.
    > Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or
    > words to
    > that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator
    > rights,
    > Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came
    > up with
    > nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with
    > administrator
    > rights you could make any changes you wanted to?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Kenny

    Thanks for the replies, will look into it from the Norton angle rather then
    XP.

    --

    Kenny

    "NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Norton (Symantec) issue not XP. Go to Symantecs (Nortons) site (linked
    below)
    > and type Supervisor in the search field. There should be an article that
    > solves your problem.
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/search/
    >

    > "Kenny" wrote:
    >
    > > Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my daughters
    PC.
    > > Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or words to
    > > that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator
    rights,
    > > Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came up
    with
    > > nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with
    administrator
    > > rights you could make any changes you wanted to?
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Kenny

    Kenny--

    With respect to Norton Antivirus, it usually means it's broken and you need
    to uninstall it and reinstall it. If it won't remove from Add/Remove, and
    it won't often, you need to use a special removal tool provided in the
    Norton KB , delete certain registry GUIDs and other keys, and certain files
    the KB will guide you to do. This is an example of these directions in a
    Norton KB for NAV 2004:

    http://tinyurl.com/3xntb

    This is different if you are using Norton Internet Security with NAV
    included.

    As posters have said, this is a Norton term and has nothing to do with
    Windows Administrative priveleges. There is a KB on NIS that talks about
    the Norton Supervisor, but it doesn't directly help. Norton Help and
    Support doesn't mention it. This is the KB (it's url had 524 characters)for
    Norton Internet Security for example dealing with the Norton Supervisor
    Status and how to configure it. You won't be able to configure NSW or NAV
    in it or stand alone this way:

    http://tinyurl.com/2sv7o

    Make sure that you have NIS Supervisor rights
    You must have NIS Supervisor rights to configure some of the options below.
    To determine whether you have NIS Supervisor rights, click User Accounts on
    the left side of the NIS interface. On the right side of the interface (1a
    in the image below), the text "You are logged in as" appears if you are
    logged in. Locate the user that you are logged in as in the User Accounts
    table, and ensure that user is type "Supervisor." If you do not have
    Supervisor privileges, or are not logged on, log on as a user that has
    Supervisor privileges.

    NIS user accounts configuration interface overview
    1.. Open Norton Internet Security Professional.
    1.. In this example, Supervisor is the logged on account (1a). This
    indicates that the Supervisor account is already being used. This is the
    default setting, which appears after the initial installation and restart.
    2.. The Not Logged On (1b) user account is always created when the user
    accounts are being used. The default account level for this user is
    Restricted.

    3.. To create a single NIS user account, click Create Account (2a). If
    you need to create multiple NIS user accounts, click Productivity Control
    Wizard (2b). Follow the instructions in the sections below to perform the
    desired actions.
    I don't see this interface ever with NAV or NSW. And I don't find any Norton
    KBs in searching that talk about the Norton Supervisor in the context of NAV
    or NSW. By experience, if you get that box that says "You're Not the Norton
    Supervisor" with either of these two (that is Kenny your daughter doesn't
    have NAV in NIS, then it's broken and you are going to have to remove it and
    reinstall it. If it won't remove from Add and Remove, then what you want to
    use is something like this (I don't know what version of NAV your daughter
    has). Go to
    http://www.symantec.com/search/ and put in search "removing Norton antivirus
    [whatever version you have] Add/Remove won't work if it doesn't work.

    http://tinyurl.com/3xntb

    hth,

    Chad Harris
    _____________________________

    "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    Tried to make some Options changes to Norton Anti Virus on my daughters PC.
    Message came up, "Access denied, only Supervisor can do it", or words to
    that effect. She is the only user on the PC and has administrator rights,
    Guest account disabled. Putting "supervisor" in XP Help search came up with
    nothing. What is this "supervisor" thing, I thought that with administrator
    rights you could make any changes you wanted to?

    --

    Kenny

Microsoft Windows XP