Sign in with
Your question

CPU or PSU problem - please help

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2006 7:10:29 PM

My other system is a PIV 2.4c that I bought almost 3 years ago. I had it O/Ced 30% for most of that time using an ASUS P4P800 mb.

Yesterday when I tried to load my PC I got an error message on loadup (prior to windows) stating that O/C failed. I selected to continue to Windows using the default settings. Within 20 seconds, power/signal stopped for my monitor and keyboard. My case's power continued to be ok (e.g. DVD drive opened and closed no problem).

I discovered that a restart did not resolve the lack of signal to the monitor or keyboard (the keyboard lights flashed when I powered on, but then went dead). Since then, if I wait for a while (~20+ minutes) I can get it to load for 60 seconds before the problem kicks in. It locks up even in the BIOS and in Windows. Doesnt seem to matter what I'm doing. In the short time I'm able to access the BIOS, the clock speed is set to the default factory settings. In addition, I didn't spot anything noticably wrong in the settings.

My question is this: is this likely a power supply issue, a CPU issue (due to the O/C warning, or is it even a motherboard issue? I'm at a loss as to what to do. Thanks for any help. I'm desperate here.

More about : cpu psu problem

February 22, 2006 7:50:09 PM

I would guess your on the right track.

Its also possible your PS may had been hit by power spike, that may cause unseen problems.

So, ya if you can find another power supply just to trouble shoot, if you have one laying around that is compadable, or a friend could loan.
February 22, 2006 7:58:50 PM

Try clearing the CMOS then attempt to boot at stock speed, visually inspect the motherboard for bloated or leaking capacitors, burnt or discolored traces or any large buildup of hair and dust under the CPU heatsink fan.
Related resources
February 22, 2006 9:31:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and ordered a new PSU from Newegg. Hopefully that'll resolve the problem. If not, then I'll be picking up an x2 3800+ sooner that I had anticipated.
February 23, 2006 12:59:46 PM

Quote:
Try clearing the CMOS then attempt to boot at stock speed, visually inspect the motherboard for bloated or leaking capacitors, burnt or discolored traces or any large buildup of hair and dust under the CPU heatsink fan.
:lol:  That was going to be my advice too. But it seems some people are impatient and just order new parts instead of listening to advice that might save them money by helping them to actually diagnose the problem. Their choice of course.
February 23, 2006 1:13:30 PM

Quote:

If possible (and if nothing visual), try to check also the ram modules... i got some situations like the discribed when OC'ing with "normal" ram modules not suitable to OC...
February 24, 2006 12:32:08 AM

definitely it's your PSU bro.
February 24, 2006 8:19:28 PM

Quote:
:lol:  That was going to be my advice too. But it seems some people are impatient and just order new parts instead of listening to advice that might save them money by helping them to actually diagnose the problem. Their choice of course.

Done preaching? If I was the kind of guy who just threw money around, I wouldn't have a 3-year old processor and a wimpy 6600GT. A $35 power supply isn't a frivolous purchase, especially when my old one is a paltry 350W.

I'll tell you what. If my new PSU doesn't fix the problem, I'll agree that I was impatient. If it does work, however, I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks to everyone else who gave advice politely. I appreciate it.

I didn't see anything blatantly wrong when I opened up my case. My CPU fan is working fine and the temp is nice and low.
February 28, 2006 7:35:52 PM

Quote:

What do you know? The new PSU fixed the problem.

Like I said before, I tried their advice before ordering (except clearing CMOS - getting into BIOS/Windows wasn't the problem). It dropped the signal to the monitor/keyboard/mouse regardless of whether I was in BIOS or Windows. Try not to be so judgemental when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Once again, thanks to everyone else who helped.
!