CPU Fan Error, Damage?

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Okay, I just came back from a weekend getaway to find my Dorm Computer turned off (Strange, I generally leave it on). Turned it on to find a CPU Fan Error and my Ultra Fan basically just moving slightly, and then stopping.

Played around in the BIOS and the temprature was fairly hot peaking around 88c, before I turned it off. Any chance the CPU may have been damaged by that?

Total running time was only a minute perhaps and stayed in BIOS the whole time.

Going to try another fan power slot and see if that works, praying my CPU isn't damaged.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Just drop another fan in and see what happens. If that MB of yours has CPU protection, it may have caught it and shut it down in time and saved your CPU. You just might be ok.

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah, put a new fan or HSF combo on it and see what happens. Be aware though that the maximum thermal limit for most CPU's is around 90C... if not a little less. So don't get ur hopes up. ;-)

-mpjesse

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Gawd, I get weally weally worried just seeing the temp at 81 C. 8O

Then I get a vision of a frying egg in bacon grease sizzling... then you here a pop, and some hot grease splatters gets in your eye..

DAMIT... shut it down, shut it down!!

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
lol @ that comment, made me chuckle... put a huge ass window fan next to ur case if ur gonna test to see if the fans still working, i wouldnt trust ultra though, get a thermaltake fan, top quality... especailly for a cpu fan, never skimp there :p

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i have a rule... anything that tigerdirect supports and embraces (EX: ultra) sucks. and buying it is basically giving ultra ur money to ruin ur computer...

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I'll know wheter to be insanely pissed, or grateful in about 24-Hours.

Tried other fan connectors and the fan still doesnt work. Good f'ing job Ultra, fan has been in use for about 8-Months with a total running time of.

Will grab a Thermaltake fan tommorow and check it out.

Its a Prescott Series P4 3.2ghz, I didnt hear any strange sounds or smell anything when it hit 90c, so hoping.

This would be a really bad time for my processor to burn out, ironically just as I find out my new Aspire case's PSU caused my rebooting problem and not the processor.

Fucking tech companies and some of their shoddy workmanship. If I'm paying $30 for a fan or $80 for a case, at least give me something thats operational, and make information easily available on how to fix problems grr.!

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Should be ok with a Prescott, they are protected by thermal throttle, and also a full shutdown if they get to a critical temp.. somwhere just over 100 degrees for the full shutdown.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
yea prescotts can handle heat as well as gpu's... 90C most likely didnt do any damage to ur system, and if nothing was smoking and ur cpu cooler didnt come popping off ull be fine... most likely

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Do ya all think heatsinks or processors should have that thingy..

Like when you cook turkeys, and that lil thingy sticks out saying that it's... ready?

Oh nm.. :oops:

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
In case if you haven't got a replacement fan, get the silverstone 2 ball bearing fan. It has long life bearings and components and capable of over 100cfm air flow and its quite at 45%. I turn off my cpu fan control as long as I have to cpu overheat warning on. :D

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
rofl. we call those (i cant spell it) thermonitors (looks right to me :)) they just u know, dont stick out from the cpu as if it was a turkey, u see theres things called monitors, that normally display such things... but thatd be a pretty sick mod, provided it doesnt short out the cpu :p

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Okay switched out the ULTRA fan for a n..i..c..e Thermaltake fan (Which I really like) and everything would be fine, if my stupid Aspire case didn't like to randomly reboot :|

But yah CPU is fine :)

In-fact right now it's running at a cool 40c :)