MrZucchiniHead

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Ok this is my first time posting on Tom's Hardware forums.

i want to know if anyone here has any experience with overclocking a P4 willamette core. Yeah it's in my crappy dell but im getting an upgrade for it to last me till i get my whole new system in september. i dont have enough money to buy a CPU so i am ging to spend my 200$ on a new mobo, case, CPU colling fan, and a 6600GT. my old P4 is only clocked at 1.8ghz and want to put it up a little more, i wil be overclocking with kingston valueRAM (not enough money for good RAM) but im gonna use a memory divider so i think ill be ok with that. i just want to know if anyone here has ever oc'ed a P4 with a willamette core, and if you have can you post a screenshot of CPU-Z with what you Oc'ed it to?

sorry this is here i didnt notice the overclocking forum cause this is my first time here.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Since it is a brand named company product, I'm not sure if it can be over clocked.

More then likely, your on a jumperless board, so all settings are controlled by the BIOS.

So, your BIOS will limit what you can do to it, if you can't adjust any settings on the CPU.

MrZucchiniHead

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I know that i cant overclock with a dell, i've tried, the bios are locked, but in about a week it isn't gonna be a dell anymore with a new mobo and case with upgraded RAM (768mb PC2100 to 1gb Pc3200) and video (god a hate my PCI Fx5500). so i can overclock it, not very far, but i still am and i can get a little further with a mem divider.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
If you can't afford to completely upgrade your system now, wait until you can, otherwise, you're just wasting your money.

The 200 odd MHz you may manage to squeeze out of your Willie core (in a best case scenario) are'nt worth buying a "new" old motherboard.

Buying a mid range AGP card is futile at this point, you'll just be stuck with more dead-end hardware and will have even less money for the "real" upgrade that you are already planning 6 months down the road.

BTW, try to find out if your CPU is based on Socket 478 or the older 423, finding a Socket 423 motherboard, even an used one, will be almost impossible, furthermore, some 478 motherboard may not even support a Willie core.