Problem with my 6800gs. Don't work :(

Dekkard

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I have not noted imcompatibility with this chipset on the searching I have done (I have a 6800GS running on an AMD 761 chipset where there is a known conflict between recent forceware drivers (80 & higher), this AMD chipset and nvidia 6 series cards). I can't say you don't have a conflict, can't say you do without some more information from you.
What problems are you experiencing?

Does the installation complete? For my problem, until I found a solution, every time I tried to install the drivers (using driver cleaner pro in between to clear all old driver files) the screen would flicker then go black before installation was completed. Then on bootup the screen would lock after the XP startup screen with just a few dots in the top left corner.

Did you uninstall existing drivers for your old card? Did you then use Driver Cleaner Pro to check no old driver files had survived the uninstall?

I'd write more but if you can provide more information I (and many other folk) can provide you with some more clues.

wildbloody

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I cant explain good my problem because of my english is very basic. I have formated my hard disk and i have installed win xp full. After i install their drivers of the cd, ver 82.12 because Forceware 81.92 being on nVidia site cannot handle any 6800GS AGP, it reports as unknown card in Display Setting.
So when i play my pc die. The screen is freeze. I must reinitiate. My temp is good. CPU 35ºC and Graphic card 55ºC. I have a power suply of 450W.

Thanks

Dekkard

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
So the card installs ok and you just have a problem when you play games?
Have you connected the molex 4-pin power plug on the video card to your power supply?
What was your previous video card? I ask because if you have a cheap power supply even a 450W may not provide enough power to support this card. If your previous card was fairly power hungry you can rule this out though.
Did you use Driver Cleaner Pro after uninstalling 81.98?

wildbloody

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
1. yes, just when play
2. yes, the card is connected to a molex 4-pin.
3. I had a ATI Radeon 9000. The powr supply is new, i bought it with the graphic card. I test with two power supply's, of 400W and of 450W.
4. I haven't never had the drivers 81.98. I connected the graphic card and after installed win xp. So my win xp havent nothing.

it's rare.. :(

wildbloody

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I installed their drivers of their cd.. I dont know if there is a version better. This night i will install the last drivers, of my motherboard, ver 4.56v and i tell u.

Thanks

Oberon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Is this the AGP version of the 6800 GS or PCIe? If AGP then your problem is it is not a reference card. You will have to use the drivers that came with the card not the nVidia download ones. Since the card is newer than the reference drivers nVidia put out it doesn't recognize the card. If you can download the 82.12 driver from nVidia they should work. That is what I am running on mine right now till the new ones come out. Here is the link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_32bit_82.12.html

Samsa

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
After i install their drivers of the cd, ver 82.12 because Forceware 81.92 being on nVidia site cannot handle any 6800GS AGP, it reports as unknown card in Display Setting.
Thanks

He's using the 82.12 drivers.

Which games are you playing that cause a crash?

Samsa

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Every all

Okay, but what games do you play?

Qual juegos exactamente? Si tu jueges solo Doom 3 y Quake 4, no es seguro que todos los juegos no funcionaran. Me entiendes?

Has probado otras Drivers?

wildbloody

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I test quake 3, pro evolution 5, commandos strike forces demo and trackmania with every drivers of graphic card and of my motherboard. Todos hacen lo mismo, a los pocos segundos, se congela la pantalla :( I test the graphic card in two others pc's and it work perfect. So my motherboard maybe is incompatible with this 6800gs :S

Samsa

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I test quake 3, pro evolution 5, commandos strike forces demo and trackmania with every drivers of graphic card and of my motherboard. Todos hacen lo mismo, a los pocos segundos, se congela la pantalla :( I test the graphic card in two others pc's and it work perfect. So my motherboard maybe is incompatible with this 6800gs :S

Wow, yeah, I guess that's possible. :? Mala suerte.