Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

large files on hp5550

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
September 24, 2004 10:01:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi,

I don't know exactly where to post this questions but i give it shot here. I
have an iPaq with CE 2003 running on it. I have a SD card 256M present in
the expansion slot. Recently I did a large file transfer of 160M to the
storage card via the active sync program.It took about an 1 hour to
transfer.( for USB2 a bit long ) The progress bar ,while it was
transferring, did really strange : it went to 30% and start over again.(at
moment there was only 64k of the file present on my device)

Is this a normal behavior with active sync ?
Perhaps transferring large files will go faster if i use a card reader
supporting USB2 and SD card type. Is possible to transfer files to SD card
with a reader ? ( same file format no conversion need)

Thnx
Guy

More about : large files hp5550

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 10:01:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The HP 5550 is a USB 1.x device and does not support the higher speeds of
USB 2.0 devices to the best of my knowledge. Generally getting Activesync to
transfer large files is not a good idea, and gives problems. The file must
be first stored on the PocketPC main memory first and then moved to the
storage card.

So getting a USB 2.0 card reader should result in a major increase in speed.
Also you may want to try using ActiveSync over Wi-Fi as it is much faster.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

"guy" <guyvo@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:415444d1$0$22078$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
> Hi,
>
> I don't know exactly where to post this questions but i give it shot here.
> I
> have an iPaq with CE 2003 running on it. I have a SD card 256M present in
> the expansion slot. Recently I did a large file transfer of 160M to the
> storage card via the active sync program.It took about an 1 hour to
> transfer.( for USB2 a bit long ) The progress bar ,while it was
> transferring, did really strange : it went to 30% and start over again.(at
> moment there was only 64k of the file present on my device)
>
> Is this a normal behavior with active sync ?
> Perhaps transferring large files will go faster if i use a card reader
> supporting USB2 and SD card type. Is possible to transfer files to SD card
> with a reader ? ( same file format no conversion need)
>
> Thnx
> Guy
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 10:20:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> Is this a normal behavior with active sync ?

Yes it is - when transfering large files.

> Perhaps transferring large files will go faster if i use a card reader
> supporting USB2 and SD card type.

Yes it will. Because iPAQ does not support USB v2.0. It even does not
support full speed of USB v1.0

> Is possible to transfer files to SD card
> with a reader ? ( same file format no conversion need)

Yes it is.

--

..: Jakub KaƱczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl
Related resources
September 24, 2004 10:41:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

thnx guys for the quick answers
i will try wifi but intend to buy a reader
"guy" <guyvo@skynet.be> wrote in message
news:415444d1$0$22078$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
> Hi,
>
> I don't know exactly where to post this questions but i give it shot here.
I
> have an iPaq with CE 2003 running on it. I have a SD card 256M present in
> the expansion slot. Recently I did a large file transfer of 160M to the
> storage card via the active sync program.It took about an 1 hour to
> transfer.( for USB2 a bit long ) The progress bar ,while it was
> transferring, did really strange : it went to 30% and start over again.(at
> moment there was only 64k of the file present on my device)
>
> Is this a normal behavior with active sync ?
> Perhaps transferring large files will go faster if i use a card reader
> supporting USB2 and SD card type. Is possible to transfer files to SD card
> with a reader ? ( same file format no conversion need)
>
> Thnx
> Guy
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 8:18:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:41:05 +0200, "guy" <guyvo@skynet.be> wrote:

>thnx guys for the quick answers
>i will try wifi but intend to buy a reader

Even over WiFi and USB2 reader it is still slow. It is faster than
using ActiveSync but when you consider USB2 is 480megabits/s it should
be doing around 48megabytes/s! The reason it doesn't is because flash
memory is very slow. It doesn't matter how fast your connection is, it
is limited to its slowest point which is writing to the flash memory
on the MMC/SD Card.
--
Morgan Pugh

Email (ROT13): zec@pynen.pb.hx
Web: http://mpugh.co.uk

PGP Key at http://mpugh.co.uk/pgp.asc
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:22:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I'm quite sure I have transferred larger files than the memory available on
my ppc to the memory card when connected with activesync so I'm not so sure
that this is correct, but transfers are quicker and more reliable using a
memory card reader rather than through activesync.


"David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile Devices" <dhettel@fuse.net> wrote in message
news:eH%23ydJloEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> The HP 5550 is a USB 1.x device and does not support the higher speeds of
> USB 2.0 devices to the best of my knowledge. Generally getting Activesync
to
> transfer large files is not a good idea, and gives problems. The file must
> be first stored on the PocketPC main memory first and then moved to the
> storage card.
>
> So getting a USB 2.0 card reader should result in a major increase in
speed.
> Also you may want to try using ActiveSync over Wi-Fi as it is much faster.
>
> --
> David Hettel
> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
> You assume all risks for your use.
>
> Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>
> "guy" <guyvo@skynet.be> wrote in message
> news:415444d1$0$22078$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know exactly where to post this questions but i give it shot
here.
> > I
> > have an iPaq with CE 2003 running on it. I have a SD card 256M present
in
> > the expansion slot. Recently I did a large file transfer of 160M to the
> > storage card via the active sync program.It took about an 1 hour to
> > transfer.( for USB2 a bit long ) The progress bar ,while it was
> > transferring, did really strange : it went to 30% and start over
again.(at
> > moment there was only 64k of the file present on my device)
> >
> > Is this a normal behavior with active sync ?
> > Perhaps transferring large files will go faster if i use a card reader
> > supporting USB2 and SD card type. Is possible to transfer files to SD
card
> > with a reader ? ( same file format no conversion need)
> >
> > Thnx
> > Guy
> >
> >
> >
>
>
September 28, 2004 1:48:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

DH> The HP 5550 is a USB 1.x device and does not support the higher speeds
DH> of USB 2.0 devices to the best of my knowledge. Generally getting
DH> Activesync to transfer large files is not a good idea, and gives
DH> problems. The file must be first stored on the PocketPC main memory
DH> first and then moved to the storage card.

hm..... my fujitsu-siemens Loox 610 doesnt appear to work that way, I can
transfer a 120 Mbyte file straight to my CF-card even when there is only
12Mb ram free.

Bye
Marcel <no@spam.nl>
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:02:28 +0200

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
!