Questions for experienced overclocker! Little confused here

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I've been trying to OC my new system that has an abit kn8 sli and an athlon 64 3200+. I've run into a few questions about the BIOs options and OCing.

Here are two stable (prime95 tested) scenarios for this computer.

HTT 235mhz.... CPU at 2350 mhz 1.4v. HTT frequency at 4x. RAM at 240mhz 2.5-3-2-8 2.6v.

HTT 210mhz... CPU at 2100 mhz 1.4v. HTT frequency on auto (how much is auto? 5x to reach 1ghz?). ram at 210 mhz 2-3-2-5 2.6v

LIST OF ANNOYING QUESTIONS:

Which of these scenarios looks better for gaming and which for video editing? Is one better for both?

What is more important, timings or frequency?

What is the HTT Frequency multiplier that I had to alter? Does it have to do with the LDT speed?

Do all nforce4 boards have agp/pci lock?

What is the pci-express frequency in the BIOs for? (It's at 100mhz)

Thank you so much for your time, if you've read this far. I hope to pass on the knowledge to others! Thanks

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
1. Go for the 2350, as long as it's stable and CPU isn't getting hot. Have you tried putting it at the lower timings and upping the voltage? Not too much, but try it.

2. I don't know. I would think that with AMD chips that Frequency would matter more than timings, but i'm not sure.

3. The HT multiplier is the thing that monitors the frequency of the CPU's interaction with the Memory. As long as you try to keep the HT freq. as close to 1ghz as possible, everything should be rock solid.

4. Mine does. Don't know about any others.

5. That's to make sure that the PCI-x slots don't get overclocked along with everything else. If it did, it would cause havoc with the PCI-x devices syncing with the rest of the system.

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Thx for the help. BW2 kept crashing at 2350, although prime95 ran for hours. Perhaps I need to relax the timings more. What timings would you suggest I go to? I'm not sure about the middle two timings, although I know they're less important than the tRAS and the CAS.

I was thinking that I could go get some DDR500. That would help with my overclock alot right?

Neways, thx for the help! Cleared up some of the darkness for me