Don't want to build it myself - assembler needed!

G

It's new computer time, whether I want it to be or not, and in the past few weeks I've left various messages on different Usenet forums seeking advice on what to buy. It looks like I'm going to choose one of two paths, and would like advice on how to proceed.

1. I can build it myself. I've done so a couple of times in the past, and if I get real lucky, maybe everything this time around would snap together without giving me a lot of incompatibility grief. But what's likeliest is that I might be in for days or even weeks of trying to resolve why-doesn't-this-work-with-that questions. I'm not a hobbyist anymore. I want to get it done.

2. I can buy it from someone else, in which case I get to choose from two types of vendors, so far as I can tell now :

- Big players like Compaq, Dell, etc., who want to lock me into their standard with proprietary cases, motherboards, etc.

- Overworked, underpaid little guys who do all kinds of sloppy stuff that drives me nuts ... assemble a big-buck motherboard with a completely inadequate power supply, or screw up half the BIOS settings when so-and-so component doesn't work at the last minute, and they just want to make the PC functional so they can get it out the door and rid of me.

If I could just find an assembler who :

1. Is big enough so that I don't fear that she, he or it will go belly up within a few months.

2. Uses standard parts, so I can upgrade.

3. Has done the suffering for me in terms of learning which components get along with which other components, and will package a system in whichthe components are appropriately matched ... in other words, no Pentium 4s with slow memory!

4. Will support what she, he or it sells, and

5. Will charge me a reasonable premium for all this ... I expect to pay that!

Any recommendations?

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you live in Britain then Mesh computers are a big company who use all quality standard componets and are good on price. They are my vendor of choice. If you don't live in Britain then ignore me.

The only problems I had were with which PCI slots would work with which cards. (SCSI, Live! and 3COM56k modem) Eventually got the combination right! It is getting easier all the time to build your own PC and I would still highly recommend it to someone who has done it before. You have as much problem with the customer service as you will with getting your own PC to work.

Hope that helped!

McEwin

G

I can build you a PC to your exact specification if you wish. All my PC's are custom built to customer requirements with emphasis on stability.

Regards

Kevin Fox
Crosland Media Services

G

Thanks to both of you for the replies. At this point I'm inclined to go with Micron, if I buy right away.