Sign in with
Your question

Monitor trouble!

Last response: in Applications
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
November 28, 2000 1:09:04 AM

I have a Maxtech 15" monitor, and had been using generic SVGA 1024x768 drivers in Win 98 SE. I didn't like how any of the refresh rates worked, so I finally downloaded the Maxtech driver (they only have one for all their monitors). Now my PC won't let me run any resolution except 640x480. I can choose color settings fine. If I switch back to the Windows driver, back to normal. Anyone have any ideas? For what it's worth, the system is
AMD K6-2 400
Asus P5A
Graphics Blaster Riva TNT (16mb, PCI)
SB32 PnP
128mb PC100 RAM
Thanks for any help!

More about : monitor trouble

November 29, 2000 9:28:47 PM

So, what is preventing you from using generic driver again?
Go to control panel, system, devices managment and delete current monitor, reboot etc. If you want to use higher refresh rates (75Hz and up) choose better monitor when selecting monitor type (tell windows you have 22" screamer and problem solved). Windows uses this only to limit max refresh rate. If your card can go higher than your monitor (120Hz for example), picture will be distorted for 10sec. (just wait till previous screen shows and try something lower like 85Hz). If your monitor starts screaming and keeps doing so for more than 20 Sec. turn the power off and reboot, try something lower etc.( we don't want to kill poor old monitor, do we?)
!