Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cannot play videos using Win7 IE8

Last response: in Windows 8
January 22, 2012 11:01:23 PM

I installed the latest Adobe Flash Player on my Win7 but I cannot play videos using Internet Explorer 8. The videos work fine with Firefox, and my Avant browser plays videos if I use the IE compatible mode. When I had Google Chrome installed, the videos worked with that also. What could be done to make IE8 play videos?

Ricochet

More about : play videos win7 ie8

a b * Windows 8
January 22, 2012 11:39:04 PM

Do you have Tracking Protection turned on IE 8?
Does it always show that you need to install Flash Player in IE 8?
a b * Windows 8
January 22, 2012 11:53:47 PM

did you get the flash plug in for ie
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
January 23, 2012 2:53:44 AM

Adobe Flash Player for ie is different install than the firefox version.
January 23, 2012 1:52:16 PM

I cannot answer the first question. Is that an addon? A lot of sites I go to result in a popup prompt to install Flash. When I try to play videos from the IE8 browser it says that feature is optimized for Adobe Flash Player 9 or higher. I have the Flash Player version 11.2.202.183 for Firefox installed. Then, when I attempt to install the version for IE I get a message from Adobe that a newer version is already installed. I also tried beta plugins a few days ago and they worked temporarily, until I rebooted, and I then uninstalled them. The only other Adobe player I have installed is Shockwave 11.6, but that didn't play the CNN news videos, either.
January 23, 2012 1:56:29 PM

Yeah, that is the one I tried to install after I fixed Firefox, but I cannot install the latest version on IE8, because Adobe says that a newer version is already installed.
a b * Windows 8
January 23, 2012 3:28:20 PM

here what i usefor ie 8 and getting the video on cnn got the java ssv plug in and hte java 2 ssv plug in version 6.0.300.12 try them
January 25, 2012 5:57:39 PM

I tried a few things and then updated to IE9. Now IE, Firefox and Avant browsers cannot play videos directly from a website. My Google Chrome portable browser still plays them from a flash drive, though, even after I uninstalled Adobe Flash and Java from my C Drive. I had tried reinstalling both on IE and Firefox without success. Short of doing a recovery or restore, I may have to use my Chrome browser for all video playbacks. Whenever I try to reinstall Adobe Flash 11.1.102.55, the install stops halfway with a message that a newer version is already installed. My uninstaller shows no Adobe Flash installed, not even the the 11.2 beta flash player plugins for IE and non-IE that I had installed and then uninstalled, after they no longer worked for either browser.

BTW this is a problem I have on my 64-bit Del Inspiron 14R N4010 laptop with Win7 Home Premium. My XP desktop works fine.
January 25, 2012 11:57:28 PM

I have used Revo in the past, but this time I used Iobit Uninstaller, which is supposed to do the same. I also uninstalled the beta plugins for IE and Firefox also, and did a recheck of anything left with both Iobit and Revo, and found no Adobe Flash remaining. I do have Java 7 Update 2 left on my hard drive, however, which is a developer version of Java. But, don't know why I still get that message that a newer version is already installed, when I try to install flash. I uninstalled Shockwave, also, and now I don't have any Adobe product installed that shows up. I use FoxIt Reader to read my PDF files, so I don't need Adobe Reader for my laptop.
January 26, 2012 12:12:04 AM

Microsoft's MSICUU2 can also clean up traces of past installations.
After uninstalling, delete C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. Then re-install.

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
January 26, 2012 12:15:04 AM

remove the java 7 and go back to 6.30 on my firefox got the toolkit and runtime plug in
January 26, 2012 11:48:18 PM

Well, so far I have deleted the Macromedia folder and associated files and uninstalled the Java 7. Also ran the msicuu2.exe file. I had already uninstalled Firefox and installed Googe Chrome. After all this, my Google Chrome still plays videos. Apparently all the necessary plugins come with the Google Chrome for 32-bit, which also works on my 64-bit computer. Maybe I'll try reinstalling Firefox and the corresponding plugins later. Right now Google Chrome works fine. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.
a b * Windows 8
January 26, 2012 11:50:17 PM

you welcome come back if you need more help
January 29, 2012 8:06:22 PM

Thanks, I'll do that. Just an update since my last post. I haven't reinstalled Firefox yet, since Google Chrome plays flash videos, and seems to be a good browser. I did a few things to get the IE and Avant browsers to play videos.

First, I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest IE9, since my antivirus program reported a IE9 file was corrupt. Then I reinstalled the latest Adobe Flash Player for 64-bit, and this time it installed without any error message.

However, my IE9 and Avant browsers still would not play videos. I made the Avant browser play them by changing the settings to "IE compatible", rather than "IE9 Standard", which had not worked before that, and I also disabled AV Blocker, which had further prevented the videos from playing.

Next I reset the IE browser settings to their default condition, and that fixed IE9 to play videos. Hope that helps some others who might have similar problems with those browsers.

Thanks again for the helpful advice. I think Adobe has a way to go in making it easier to configure their flash player program so it will work with 64-bit system browsers, without having to go through so many steps.
a b * Windows 8
January 29, 2012 8:26:37 PM

IE 9's Active X Filtering blocks Flashplayer. I leave it blocked except when I actually choose to play the FlashPlayer videos.
When you do have it blocked, IE 9 will state that you need to install FlashPlayer.
Just click on Tools, and uncheck "Active X Filtering" in IE9.
January 29, 2012 8:57:39 PM

Thanks. That's a good thing to know, to quickly enable/disable flash. Disabling flash when not needed would improve security.
a b * Windows 8
January 29, 2012 9:05:25 PM

Yes, that is why I do it also.
February 15, 2012 11:47:09 AM

This was a complex issue for me to deal with, without having to do a complete recovery. I had to try a number of things, including updating to IE9 and continuing to reinstall the required flash plugins for IE and Firefox. I was finally able to fix Internet Explorer so it would play videos, but then I found that Firefox continued to have the problem of not being able to play them, and I continued to install and uninstall the plugins. Finally I had to uninstall Firefox, and then I was not able to reinstall it for some reason and went to Google Chrome. Only a couple of days ago was I able to reinstall Firefox and the correct flash plugin (11.2.202.197), which I believe would not install correctly before. Now, both my IE9 and Firefox 10.0.1 play my videos correctly. Some of the suggestions given to me should normally have worked for me, and probably would work on any other computer. I used several types of registry cleaner/tuneup software, also, prior to my successful reinstall of Firefox, which might have corrected some possibly corrupted entries.
February 15, 2012 12:00:44 PM

Best answer selected by Ricochet_16.
a b * Windows 8
February 15, 2012 9:38:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!