Sign in with
Your question

1Gb of RAM or 2GB of RAM??

Last response: in CPUs
February 23, 2006 1:28:54 AM

Alrighty,

So I just put in some Kingston value ram (2x512mb 533mhz) and I was wondering do you think that it would be beneficial to run 1GB or 2GB?

My system seems to run a little choppy with the bigger games like Call of duty 2, BF2, etc. I am running the new ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe board with a P4 Prescott 630 3.0GHz.

Your imput would be much appreciated!!

Regards,

Apex

More about : 1gb ram 2gb ram

February 23, 2006 1:46:05 AM

Unless you have alot of other stuff open while your running BF2 or COD2 then their shouldnt be an issue on 1GB of ram...

Do you have spyware or virus??? They could be the issue...

Also whats the video card lookin like???

I would say get 2GB of ram, but it probably wont fix your problem. Many people report the slightest gains in performance... most times under 5%.
February 23, 2006 1:52:28 AM

Def. 2 gigs, i had 1, put another 1 stick in there to have a total of 2 gigs. and it made a pretty significant increase. Im also very picky when it comes to video games, so when i have any loss of frames i like to fix the problems, the extra gig helped. if you have the cash, def. get another one.
Related resources
February 23, 2006 2:23:32 AM

You generally need 2gb of ram to max out BF2 smoothly.
February 23, 2006 4:05:04 AM

For future reference, please post these types of questions in the "Memory" section.

As for your question, some folks over at xbitlabs did some benchmarking on differences between 1GB and 2GB in gaming. while frame rate hardly changed during the benchmarking, they noted that having 2GB of memory stopped the game from having low frame rates right after a level loads. I think they were using CoD2 or WoW.

anyways, point is this: if those first few seconds are crucial and you just have to have full 30fps, then use 2GB. otherwise, framerates during gameplay are nearly identical.

make sense? i sure hope so cause i'm confused.

-mpjesse
February 23, 2006 4:06:42 AM

On games like F.E.A.R. Serious Sam 2, BF2, and a few others, my 1GB of RAM seems to stutter because I play on ultra max settings and it loads nearly 600MB into my RAM (darned coders!) so I plan to get 2 1GB soon, I recommend the same.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
February 23, 2006 4:27:47 AM

Supposedly BF2 is a game that benefits from as much RAM as you can through at it, although in practice more than 1GB doesn't make much of a difference. Quake 4 seems to benefit though.

In any case, if you can afford it then by all means go for it. It'll make you overall experience better since background applications are taken care of without having to swap to virtual memory. However, you will have to watch out for something that MadModMike alluded to in his plans. You have 2x512MB right now which is fine, however just adding another 2x512MB might not benefit you much because the higher number of slots puts a higher load on the memory controller which limits the potential. The ideal configuration would be 2x1GB. However, since you are already using Value RAM anyways, which probably means that your timings are loose, going 4x512MB won't nearly be as much of a problem since you won't likely need to drop back on memory timings.
February 23, 2006 7:58:10 AM

Once you go 2 gig's you'll never go back. The benefits are there just like RAID. Benchmarks dont show the difference but its there.
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2006 10:22:22 AM

BF2 reportedly does suffer less from hitching/pauses with 2 gb of RAM vs. 1 gb, but..what video card is installed?
February 23, 2006 11:01:10 AM

I've played BF2 on both 1GB and 2GB and I cannot stand 1Gb at all. I play at 1600x1200 maxxed out (otherwise why would I have SLI lol). 1Gb could not stop skipping randomly, especially when tanks and several ppl were around. 2GB works flawlessly. I can monitor my RAM usage via my keyboard, and with BF2 all loaded up i hit nearly 70% on 2GB of ram depending on the size of the lvl.
February 23, 2006 11:31:34 AM

2Gb of value ram is better than 1Gb of high performance ram. Why, because more and more softwares and games are requiring more ram to run smoothly. For games like BF2 and FEAR, it needs 1.2-1.4 of Gb to play smoothly especially at 1280x1024 resolution or higher. :D 
February 23, 2006 12:45:47 PM

Quote:
So I just put in some Kingston value ram (2x512mb 533mhz) and I was wondering do you think that it would be beneficial to run 1GB or 2GB?
My system seems to run a little choppy with the bigger games like Call of duty 2, BF2, etc. I am running the new ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe board with a P4 Prescott 630 3.0GHz.

IMO it depends a lot on what you expect from your pc performance.
I have a similar pc configuration and i installed a fast CL2 1GB DDR ram (2x512MB). But then i play FEAR at 1024x768 with 2xFA 16xAA with SS pretty well. I do admit from times to times it slows down a bit but nothing to worry about.
I believe also to be upgrading ram to 2GB next year (or even next 2 years) when DDR2 have low latencies (below CL3-3-3) at an affordable price.

Hope this helps...
.- Luis Duarte
February 23, 2006 1:15:02 PM

With that res there isn't nearly as much to hold as 1600x1200 (not thatyou said there was). 1600x1200 is 1.92M pixels, and 1024x768 is .8M pixels so there is a distinct diffrence in memory load. Yes, alot of it has to do with the graphics card, but still the CPU does something :p 

Just my 2 cents, though i normaly charge 4.
February 23, 2006 1:16:23 PM

Quote:
You generally need 2gb of ram to max out BF2 smoothly.

I agree 100% with this. Mine ran choppy in parts until I upgraded to 2 GB. In all honesty, I think 1.5 GB would stop the choppiness but what's the point of that? The main BF2 process consumes slightly OVER 1 GB of RAM alone... and once you factor in the other Windows processes as well as any other applications that are running, you're looking at 1.3 - 1.5 GB of RAM in use.
February 23, 2006 1:57:17 PM

Ive got 2x 1gig kingston value ram and you do notice the difference, its difficult to describe, but its there, things just feel smoother, could be phsycological tho hehe, but i presume 4x 512 will knock off your dual channel ram? or is that just an amd mobo thing?
February 23, 2006 1:59:52 PM

Don't worry man, get as confused as you want. We'll save you.

Besides, that's why they make alcohol :lol: 
February 23, 2006 2:58:44 PM

Quote:
Don't worry man, get as confused as you want. We'll save you.

Besides, that's why they make alcohol :lol: 

Damn it 24 days till its legal for me to buy alcohol.... mofo lol.
February 23, 2006 11:07:07 PM

i was running 2 512 xms and added 2 more and i can tell abig diff
loading bf2 and verifing client data is alot faster along with disk clean up and defragin i can LITTERALY turn my computer on and be playing bf2 in 5 minutes litteraly
February 24, 2006 3:51:10 AM

I did notice an improvement in gameplay. Especially in games like BF2 and F.E.A.R. . I noticed that the choppiness at the beginning of a game went away. And in single player it seemed more smooth thoughout the level. With 1gig in single player as I went from room to room I would occasionally get a lag here and there, that is gone now. Benchmarks don't show any improvement but I didn't expect them too. But for games especially if you run at high res like I do you will see a benefit. Also if you flip to windows in a game or exit a game it doesn't bring your system to a complete halt.

3500+ Winny
MSI NEO 4 Plat SLI
2x1gig OCZ Plat 2.2.3.5. 1T
BFG 7800GT OC
74gig Raptor
36gig Raptor
Ultra 500w PSU
!