The Price Cut indeed....

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
If the AMD corp just slashed its prices then why is the opty 165 retailing for MORE money on newegg.com

It used to be 325$ish and now its sitting at 340$.... if they were cutting prices then what happened here. Is it ture their trying to discourage home use????

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
AMD says what they recommend it to be sold at, hence, MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) this has no bearing on retailer or etailer pricings, and newegg loves to jack up prices on hot items, hence the 4400+, FX-60 ($1,400 at first) and the Opty 165.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

mpjesse

Splendid
I noticed that last night. I was looking into ditching my dual core 4200+ in favor of the Opty 165 when i noticed it was selling for way more than everyone is saying.

Here's the most ironic thing though, the Opteron 265 is actually selling for less than the 165. LOL.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120775&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1

EDIT: the link I posted is for a OEM processor. However the retail boxed version costs the same as the boxed Opty 165. See here:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120218&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1

-mpjesse

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I noticed that last night. I was looking into ditching my dual core 4200+ in favor of the Opty 165 when i noticed it was selling for way more than everyone is saying.

Here's the most ironic thing though, the Opteron 265 is actually selling for less than the 165. LOL.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120775&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1

-mpjesse

OMG.....I think I have to steal my friends Dual Opty board now... :twisted:

BTW: Why the heck would you ditch the 42+ for the 165? If it's for the cache, don't get over hyped, but if it's for the overclocking, I see your point 8).

mpjesse

Splendid
I was thinking the exact same thing... you can't beat that price for a 2-way dual core Opteron. It's ridiculous. I was researching Tyan and MSI boards all day today. LOL.

Only draw back is I can't find registered DIMMs faster than DDR400. So overclocking is somewhat out of the question. But 4 cores and SLI would frikin rock.

-mpjesse

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Read my reply on your post about PC3500 ECC RAM, I might have found some.

BTW: If you need helping in a Dual Opty board, I got you covered, I used so many of them I could be a salesman, lol.

UPDATE: It's in spanish, but OCZ Gold has some DDR433 ECC RAM Ze Eine RAM
UPDATE2: So Does Corsair
UPDATE3: I guess "Kingmax" does too.

mpjesse

Splendid
Sweeeeeeet. It's not listed on their website so I guess it's not available yet. I noticed the timings are 2-3-2, another thing I couldn't find w/ Registered DDR400 DIMMs.

If they come out with this soon I'll make the investment.

What boards would you recommend? I'm only interested in SLI capable boards... preferbly with full x16 lanes. x8 lanes will do fine though. I saw Tyan has a bad ass one, but it's over $400. The MSI one I glanced at was around $250... but it didn't mention how many lanes it had per PCI 16x slot.

Anyways, thanks! :)

mpjesse

Splendid
Hmmm... that article is old. Which means this stuff has come and gone. DAMN! It looks like ever since the FX's came out in S939, there's no demand for >DDR400 Registered memory. Guess I'll try ebay...

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Obviously This Board A friend has that board, it's a nice board.

MSI I think that was the board you saw, but I cannot make out how they have the RAM setup. From the board view and the website, it seems that CPU0 gets 6 DIMM's and CPU1 has to fetch it through CPU0, if that is true, that board should be avoided.

ASUS This board doesn't have SLI, I have put it in a server w/ 4 Raptors (hehe) although you could just buy a x1900XT or 7900GTX, this board is nice, CPU0 has 2 DIMMs and CPU1 has 4 DIMMs, but you can still get Dual Channel (ran Sandra on it) and 4 512MB sticks (2 in each) will be plenty of RAM and offer great performance. And that board is about $220, so it's cheap.

I'll try and find more, but those are my recommendations for Dual Opteron boards.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I believe I saw an article somewheres (maybe dailytech?) talking about how AMD screwed the pooch in pricing because so many enthusiasts were picking up the Opteron over the Athy dual cores.

mpjesse

Splendid
Looking at that Tyan board... not sure if it would work for me. The chipset heatsink partially blocks the 1st PCI-E 16x slot. I've got 2 mammoth 7800 GTX's.

I do like that MSI board though. Excellent price. Thx for the recommendations.

mpjesse

Splendid
Like this one?
http://www.serversdirect.com/productdetail?product=102023
102023_590x442.png

I guess the logic is only enterprise buys that kind of board- and they're the ones who can most afford a $1,900 price tag. Just like with Quadros and FireGLs. You're paying 4x the amount for workstation drivers. Ahhh... the injustice.

Such is life I guess.

mpjesse

Splendid
ahhh... the basic anatomy of a cluster. i'm sure one of our opteron clusters 'round here are using those boards. they don't let me near the clusters very often. ;- i guess they're afraid i'll break something. or maybe steal it. muahaha.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That's just 1 motherboard with 8 Opties (technically it's 2, 1 stacked on top of each other) so not really a cluster.

mpjesse

Splendid
sorry, didn't mean to impy it was a cluster. I meant that was the basic foundation of a cluster (multiple connecting motherboards). some of the ones where i work have hundreds of these boards interconnected. cray made a couple of them if i'm not mistaken.

anyways, do a search for los alamos national labs at www.top500.org. last i checked we had 16 different opteron clusters.

-mpjesse

endyen

Splendid
Usually I look to Amd for thier pricing, but the 100 series now has a * beside them. That's a little strange.
I'd guess they are trying to controll the flow, since these are a limlted availability chip.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
hey i got the best idea cause these prices are so high why cant we just go and buy opty 265's and the k8n-dl with the x1900xt and see what knd of performance gains there are on games with 4 threads :D holy crap imagine bf2 on that 100 fps on high 8O god i wish i was rich :D but im poor :cry:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AMD says what they recommend it to be sold at, hence, MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) this has no bearing on retailer or etailer pricings, and newegg loves to jack up prices on hot items, hence the 4400+, FX-60 ($1,400 at first) and the Opty 165.
I'd have to say that you don't run a retail business, becuase if you did you'd know how unfair that statement is.

Most of the time prices like that are not from retailer markup, but from the actual inventory cost. Just because AMD lowers their prices one day doesn't mean that everyone who's already bought x amount of chips paid those lowered prices to fill their inventory. So before a retailer can lower their prices to match the MSRP, they first have to dump what stock they've already purchased at the higher price. Otherwise they'd be losing a ton of money.

Well, I suppose retailers don't have to do it that way, but only if they want to stay in business. You can't run a business for long by operating at a loss. :lol:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Uhm....I have not ran one, but my family and I have worked many many years in retail before, and I know a thing or 2 about how it works. And you really stuck your foot in your mouth, "They have to clear their stock they bought at the previous price", too bad the FX-60 was a NEW cpu and I don't believe they were selling it before (maybe in some other dimension). And the fact that all the other CPU's (3800+, 4200+, 4600+ and 4800+) were dropping in price, you're going to tell me ONLY the 4400+ was in high stock? I think not.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I get about 75 FPS on BF2 on high, but that was with my 3700+ at stock, it benches a FX-55 now, I should try again, probably get near 80, I wish I could do 1600x1200, stupid monitor :?. I wouldn't get the K8N-DL though, I have that in a server, it's okay but the K8WE is the best, SLI x16 and SCSI ^_^, my friend loves his K8WE.