Question about ddr2 memory on graphics card...

KurtLax06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
If im running RDram on my comp., will a graphics card with DDR2 memory work ok?

Im running ddr on my current graphics card, and it works fine, so i dont see the reason why ddr2 wont work as well. Except iv been told by sales reps it will not, but i dont trust them very much since they cleary dont know crap about other things.

So if someone could tell me... that be great.

And also Will i see a difference in performence and/or graphics with ddr2 instead of drr if im using the same type of graphics card?

Situation: Geforce 6200 OC agp4x 256mb ddr VS. Geforce 6200 OC agp4x 256mb ddr2

It will work fine. The graphics memory sub-system is completely independant of the rest of the system.

The memory controller for your graphics memory is on your graphics card, not on your motherboard.
It's a different case if you were trying to put DDR ram into a RamBus motherboard :wink:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Ram speed on a Graphics card doesn't make a whole lot of diffrence. I would not suggest upgrading cards just to get DDr2. Your real performance gains on a Graphics card are in the Core clock speed and architecture. I woudl save yoru money and buy a better card in a few months rather than upgrade just to get DDR2.

KurtLax06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Sorry forgot to update my system info... i just got the new card listed in my info... but i can always go exchange it for the same one, but get the one with ddr2 memory(i got the one with ddr b/c the sales people said that ddr2 wont work with my system, i was skeptical tho so i thought i post here, it turns out they're wrong. Who would of thought of that! LOL)

... do you guys think its worth the hassle to exchange or will i not really see a difference?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I'd of gone with the GeForce 6600 before choosing the 6200, as the 6200 uses RAM from the mobo. Also the 6200 is just a slow vid card. Get a GeForce 6600 (128MB GT if you can afford).