Possible complications with my new PC!

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Apparently I couldn't get my pc set up like I said before when I posted earlier last week or so. But hopefully my buddy will com through tonight. So here's my delimma:
My new sig set up. Opty 175, 2gb corsair pc3200 xms platinum, DFI lanparty UT ultra-D, OCz modstream 520w, BFG 7800gt oc. I read that corsair dont like DFI or visa versa which sucks becaue I bought them and cost me a arm and a leg. Now I'm hearing I need to do all kinds of stuff to the mobo and what not. Or the mobo not reconizing the cpu as a dual core, or memory won't perform at it's best. So what do I need to do? What can I do so the my pc can run stable??? My friends roomate is going to hook my pc up tonight, even though he likes amd and what not, I dont know how up to date he is. So, if you guys can help me out so that I can take him to this site you guys could update him on some things would be great. Well i hope I get some good tips here. :twisted:

mpjesse

Splendid
STOP. Please STOP typing. Good lord. You must be drinking too much Jolt cola or something.

First off, what exactly is the problem? You listed like 20 different things as issues, but you never state they're actually happening to you. These three sentences for example:

I read that corsair dont like DFI or visa versa which sucks becaue I bought them and cost me a arm and a leg. Now I'm hearing I need to do all kinds of stuff to the mobo and what not. Or the mobo not reconizing the cpu as a dual core, or memory won't perform at it's best.

Be clear, are you actually having these problems or are you just reading about them?

-mpjesse

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
STOP. Please STOP typing. Good lord. You must be drinking too much Jolt cola or something.

First off, what exactly is the problem? You listed like 20 different things as issues, but you never state they're actually happening to you. These three sentences for example:

I read that corsair dont like DFI or visa versa which sucks becaue I bought them and cost me a arm and a leg. Now I'm hearing I need to do all kinds of stuff to the mobo and what not. Or the mobo not reconizing the cpu as a dual core, or memory won't perform at it's best.

Be clear, are you actually having these problems or are you just reading about them?

-mpjesse
My bad. Well people said that DFI and Corsair memory won't work well. Since I already bought it i'm stuck with it. So what can or needs to be done to fix that situation when I do come across it.

mpjesse

Splendid
Well if that does crop up, I would first try raising the timings. I'm not sure what you got, but if the board is unstable than move the timings to something like 2.5-3-3 or 3-3-3.

BUT, if you'll look at DFI's memory compatibility chart with your motherboard you'll discover they actually recommend Corsair.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_memory_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&INDEX_TYPE=MB&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=NA&PRODUCT_ID=3471

Corsair is about the best you can get. I very, very rarely actually see compatibility issues with corsair and any motherboard. So just relax and build the system. Don't start posting questions until you actually have problems. Right now, the more threads u create on the topic the more ppl will ignore you. Just some advice.

;-)

-mpjesse

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
For the record, Blue Raspberry Jolt Cola is Da ShiZBomB-DiGGaDy-DawG! As for the thread, I recommend Corsair for every build if stability is in mind, maybe not for overclocking, but for stability, yes. Corsair likes alot of volts too, so if you're having trouble, try some more volts, and do what jesse said, lay off the timings, troubleshoot things, that's the best way to learn.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

mpjesse

Splendid
I haven't had Jolt cola since I was about 15... back when I thought I was a leet h4x0r. LOL. I did do some pretty frigin stupid things back then though... crap, my drugs are kicking in. Now I'm going to start posting wierd things again.

mpjesse

Splendid
Almost 26. Yes, "Hackers" was one of my favorite films back then... until I read a nasty review by cDc (Cult of the Dead Cow). And all that time I thought hackers looked just like Johnny Lee Miller. LOL. I bleached my hair damnit... my hair!

Ahhh... I was a kid. It's a dman good thing I joined the army at 18. I'd probably still be living with mom and dad acting like a leet hacker on efnet or something.

I did manage to get fairly deep in the dump/courier/topsite scene a few years back. Got outtta that crap though. FBI had too many honeypots and stings going on back then. when RISC-ISO got busted i got reaaaaaaaal scerd. then there was that whole M$ betaplace hack that i was involved in. not really involved i guess... but i knew what was going on. couple of clowns from canada and the UK i used to chat with would clue me in on their latest escapades. after that one i formatted my drives w/ 0's and buried them out in the woods.

i think i said too much. curse these sleeping pills. they're like a truth syrum er summin.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Well if that does crop up, I would first try raising the timings. I'm not sure what you got, but if the board is unstable than move the timings to something like 2.5-3-3 or 3-3-3.

BUT, if you'll look at DFI's memory compatibility chart with your motherboard you'll discover they actually recommend Corsair.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_memory_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&INDEX_TYPE=MB&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=NA&PRODUCT_ID=3471

Corsair is about the best you can get. I very, very rarely actually see compatibility issues with corsair and any motherboard. So just relax and build the system. Don't start posting questions until you actually have problems. Right now, the more threads u create on the topic the more ppl will ignore you. Just some advice.

;-)

-mpjesse

Well a friend of a friend hooked up my pc, went into the bios and it just locked up. Then he pulled one of the memory sticks out and it still didn't work. So, what do you guys think? Memory problem? Or something else? :cry:

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
You may need to flash the BIOS using another processor the board natively supports 'out of the factory', to get E4/E6 revision / stepping processor support.

Then reinstall the Opteron 175 and reboot.

No 'consumer' board actually 'supports' the Opteron (939) from a warranty perspective anyway, but they should work all the same.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25759.pdf - 362.2KB - indicates this - albeit indirectly of course, Computing isn't meant to be easy.

The BIOS freezing can also be bad memory, or bad memory settings, if you are very fast try setting CMD RATE to 2 ticks, RAM timings to 3-3-3-8, saving and rebooting (before it freezes).

PnP = Plug.... and Pray.... GodSpeed also helps.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
For the record, Blue Raspberry Jolt Cola is Da ShiZBomB-DiGGaDy-DawG! As for the thread, I recommend Corsair for every build if stability is in mind, maybe not for overclocking, but for stability, yes. Corsair likes alot of volts too, so if you're having trouble, try some more volts, and do what jesse said, lay off the timings, troubleshoot things, that's the best way to learn.

- Read: http://www.ece.umd.edu/courses/enee759h.S2003/references/chipkill_white_paper.pdf
- Google the subject, find more articles that are the same
- Google "Corsair" and failed, faulty, etc, etc (Bear in mind it is popular, so their negative feedback may be higher).

Then consider that Corsair make no 128x4 DRAMs for their DIMMs, only the 64x8 stuff for 'typical' original style ECC, or no ECC at all.

A 'certain unnamed organisation' purchased heaps (Shy of TeraByte, but many, many Gigs) of Corsair RAM once, for a large number of servers, only to find that, once tested correctly, (even though the DIMMs had ECC), they were 'correcting' errors like mad, and 'correcting' what were really non-errors by mistake.... thus actually causing errors (once you understand how ECC works you realise this is possible 'around' 1/9th of the time).

The quantity of systems involved, and the shocking failure rate (over 1 in 10 DIMMs failed basic testing) surprised me and changed my former opinion of Corsair memory.

Diagnosis of the problem was.... simple & profitable to some.... but time consuming & very costly to the company.

Ever since I've never personally trusted them. (Note: Yes a personal comment in a forum - OMG never ! / Remember: Almost everyone here could be a Corsair plant for all you know).

Because most ppl with Corsair overclock, the blame can always be placed elsewhere when it fails - the company tactic is very smart, but not quite flawless, almost genius no ?.

I'd still use their gear, if it passed the rigorous tests, but something else will also pass the same tests, with the same peformance, with the same resistance to ESD/EMI, etc.... all at a lower cost.

Most gamers.... and most businesses are limited by what ?, The answer is money ($$$), no one has an unlimited supply.

"Corsair likes alot of volts too, so if you're having trouble, try some more volts, "

For the record, I'd interpret this to mean a boost from stock 2.6V up to 2.7 or 2.75, lest someone misinterpret "lots of volts" and boost it any higher (i.e., 3.3V!) and smoke $250 worth of memory! :)

"Well a friend of a friend hooked up my pc, went into the bios and it just locked up. Then he pulled one of the memory sticks out and it still didn't work."

With a single stick installed in an approved single stick operation slot (not all NF4 boards like a single stick in just "any"slot, see if you can quickly boost the DDR voltage to 2.75V....; try both modules one at a time.

Then ensure you use mem in two slots aproved for dual channel operation..

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Oooph... so this guy is stuck on his new installation, since he got a dual core opty, and the freeze up is do to his bios?

So he needs a single core AMD, to update his bios?

Man, quite a dilemma, especially if he can't find another processor to atleast update the bios for dual core.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
If memory marked as:

- 2.5 - 2.6 V
- PC3200 (400 MHz DDR)
- DDR (1)
- 184 pin
- Unbuffered (Not key'd as Registered)
- Non-ECC
- Compatible with a given board & processor combination (now that memory controllers are integrated in some processors)

; is requiring a boost to above 2.6 V operation just to become stable enough to POST, either RMA or bin the ****.

Bear in mind the system freezes in the BIOS, the machine won't POST correctly... little more serious than typical 'grey memory errors'.

Only RMA or bin the **** if it fails to work correctly after switching in an earlier (Socket 939) Athlon 64 processor core & flashing the BIOS to latest version fails obviously enough. :p

It isn't like Windows could install, or screwed up mid install, then maybe suggest 2.65 Volts... maybe, then test to confirm 0 error count on 3 consecutive passes,... maybe... instead of RMA'ing it or throwing it out.

Also look into:
Does the warranty cover damage to the module by the user who installed it ?, Just how 'all inclusive' is their warranty ?, and how hard is it to get replacements ?, How long does it take ?, etc

Unrelated to thread topic: 'Dybowski' - I like your rig, very well thought out. - I may looking for a more 'gamer' typical rig, and was thinking along quite similar lines if returning to gaming (this quarter).

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I meant lots of volts when you start overclocking. And it's gonna take more than 3.3v to fry your RAM, more like 3.5v and above.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I meant lots of volts when you start overclocking. And it's gonna take more than 3.3v to fry your RAM, more like 3.5v and above.

Well I dont know what to do. But thanks for the help. I wish I had another amd board but I don't.