Tried everything I could, any ideas? PLEASE...

alexdt27

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
First start off with the list of things I have in my self built machine
CPU - Intel 2.6GHz socket 478
Mobo- Asus P4P800
Ram- Corsair Value Select 512x2
Hard drive- WD 160G, WD 250G both EIDE
Power supply- 450W, forgot the brand name
VC- LeadTek Nvidia 6600GT 128MB GDDR3
No CD/DVD rom/floppy installed right now

So the problem is, recently I've experience keyboard freeze or mouse freeze just by typing. I switched both and didn't solve the problem, couple days later, the windows won't even start, but the hard drive works on other computer.
I tried reflash BIOS, switching CPU, Mobo, Ram one at a time and none of them seems to change the Blue screen when loading windows. the error message is that the Windows had detect some problem, and shut down to prevent damage....The only thing I did not change so far is the power supply, would that be a factor?

any suggestion would be appreciated
thank you!

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
it could be, but have you tried re-installing windows? the last time i got mouse and keyboard freezes was due to a faulty/corrupt driver. and when you switch mobos and other parts windows dosent usually work unless they use the same driver/bios type.

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
You can switch motherboards on an NT(W2k/XP) system, and avoid the BSOD by uninstalling the chipsets custom IDE driver, and making sure the 'standard IDE' driver is installed instead.

I believe the BSOD is a 'security feature' of NT, but if you disable the high end IDE drivers before changing a motherboard you can work around it.

I would run some diagnostics on the computer, using your other computer make a few CD's with various tests, starting with MEMTEST86.

Also in the bios, disable any 'performance enhanceing' options especially MAM, which is the P4P800's version of PAT. Its good, but it takes the best ram to run reliably. Once the computer is proved stable you can put the performance options in 1 at a time, testing reliability each time, until you have the fastest options which dont leave you crashing.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Once something (eg: a file, which just happens to be a driver or part of the registry) goes corrupt, you can't uncorrupt it normally.

Run MemTest86+, confirm PAT is Disabled in BIOS (may go by another names aswell, Sometimes in top right corner of Award BIOS after pressing Ctrl+F1).

There are ways to detect which file(s) went corrupt using CRC32/MD5 of known goods vs your current files, etc, etc, etc.... but that won't tell you why it went corrupt..... usual reason is memory (or configuration thereof, including MCH, memory controller hub / Northbridge, which may have PAT enabled, thus contributing to the problem).