Sign in with
Your question

Intel, AMD, and upgrades

Last response: in CPUs
a c 99 à CPUs
February 23, 2006 11:38:36 AM

I am going to be getting a new computer here very shortly and I was curious about a few things. I know that the Athlon X2s are faster than the Pentium D 9xx's BUT the Socket 939 is going to be obsoleted in June and the Socket 775 for Intel will be carried forward. So, here's my conundrum:

Do I get a new Socket 939 X2 rig because it's faster and just say "forget it" when I upgrade and get all new RAM and motherboard and not just a new CPU? Or do I get a Socket 775 board with the 975 chipset that can run Conroe chips when they come out but put a Pentium D in it now? I'd be able to keep my DDR2 RAM then.

What would you guys do?

More about : intel amd upgrades

February 23, 2006 11:59:09 AM

I would stick with AMD because I like their products. But if you're going to be buying a high-end processor and want upgradability without having to buy new RAM and a new MOBO then the answer for you is Intel.

In June the answer will be very different though. . .
February 23, 2006 12:30:20 PM

Any High End system is going to cost you a pretty penny, either from Intel or AMD.

I really think it boils down to - how much you just want to spend, and how soon you wanna spend it - and does it full fill your needs.

Very hard to advise on products not really matured or on the market for sale, to determine what would be best for the long run.

Quote:
Socket 939 is going to be obsoleted

Obsolete? I thought TandyTRS-80/x86/286/386/486/586 were pretty much getting to be obsolete.
939 is still going to be used by allot of people.. me thinks. :lol: 

Okay.. maybe I took that too literally. :oops: 
Related resources
February 23, 2006 1:11:02 PM

Either way you will have to buy stuff again, but with Intel you can at least keep your RAM.
February 23, 2006 1:24:17 PM

I was in the same dilemma even though I already had a good machine to perform tasks and game with. I went with AMD this time for several reasons.

The first is, in order to use the newer Pentium chips, you have to use the newer chipsets. They are more expensive than the current nVidia sets.

Secondly, Intel has a new chip coming out soon (conroe) which can only be used on whatever new chipsets Intel has coming out with it. The current ones will not support conroe.

I have always been an avid Intel enthusiast however, i'm not happy with what they are doing currently. I can understand they need to come out with a new chipset to support conroe. What I don't understand is why they keep coming out with new chipsets every five minutes. I mean, take a look at all of their chipsets put out in the last year and by no means, they really aren't cheap either.

So based on that, I went with an AMD/DFI/nVidia set and I gotta tell ya, I love it.
February 23, 2006 1:28:27 PM

Quote:
Socket 775 for Intel will be carried forward.

You would think that it would be that easy, eh? BBbzzz, wrong! Intel loves to make you buy new stuff. Even though it will be 775 the new Conroe and subsequent Merom will require a new chipset!

"It looks like today’s mainboards, even those built on the latest Intel 975X chipset, will not be compatible with the upcoming processors known as Conroe."

Story

Topic
February 23, 2006 1:29:23 PM

PS, I'm trying to hold out for AM2 as long as I can!
a c 99 à CPUs
February 23, 2006 1:37:19 PM

Yes, I am fully aware that I'd have to get a new board and CPU. I accept it. I have also seen the Pentium Ds get beaten by a small margin by the Athlon X2s, but the 9xxs are much closer to the X2s than the 8xxs were.

There are two concerns of mine:
1. If I do go with an Intel system, do you think that DDR2-800 will be used in the next couple AMD and Intel chipsets (about 2 years from now) or will it be even faster than that and I STILL would have to get new RAM?

2. Are the nForce 4 chipsets really as flaky as I have read? I heard that some SATA-300 HDDs will not work and such like that. Have you had good results with the nF4?
February 23, 2006 1:43:23 PM

Yes, both AMD and Intel will use the DDR2-800 RAM. Intels 975X chipset will currently use DDR2-800 RAM so you can use that now.

As far as the SATA problem with nVidia, I have not experienced any type of problems.
February 23, 2006 1:49:14 PM

nvidia chipset drivers are a pain, but they function.
February 23, 2006 1:55:24 PM

Quote:
I am going to be getting a new computer here very shortly and I was curious about a few things. I know that the Athlon X2s are faster than the Pentium D 9xx's BUT the Socket 939 is going to be obsoleted in June and the Socket 775 for Intel will be carried forward. So, here's my conundrum:

Do I get a new Socket 939 X2 rig because it's faster and just say "forget it" when I upgrade and get all new RAM and motherboard and not just a new CPU? Or do I get a Socket 775 board with the 975 chipset that can run Conroe chips when they come out but put a Pentium D in it now? I'd be able to keep my DDR2 RAM then.

What would you guys do?

I suggest you to check your needs, your money and your tech abilities to help you choose a new platform.

Some factors for you to think:
1- Your PC use. Do you play FEAR at maximum quality? Or 1024x768 is ok for you?
2- Usually how much time do you use your PC until you need to buy a new one?
3- How are your OC abilities?
4- What Graphic Card to buy?

IMO AMD/MB939/DDR and Intel 3.0GHz/DDR1 CL2 are still valid configurations for the next year, especially if you consider to OC all it to get extra performance with low investment.

If you have US$5.000,00 available to spend i'm sure a state of the art PC (AMD/Intel/DDR1/DDR2/you name it) with a nVidia 7800GTX 512MB with fast DDR3 will do for the next couple of years.... or less!
:D 
February 23, 2006 2:00:51 PM

my 6800gt runs fear at max 1280x1024. he will do fine.
a c 99 à CPUs
February 23, 2006 2:05:09 PM

Well, my needs are a little odd for this forum. I hardly play any games at all, in fact I run Linux. Why I am getting a new computer is that my almost 4-year-old laptop just isn't cutting it anymore. I do a lot of office-app-type multitasking and some coding. I do a fair bit of compiling, which takes a fast CPU to do in any length of time. It also bogs the system down considerably when you do that and I want to keep working when I compile.

I plan to be able to upgrade in about two years if it isn't too expensive to do so. You know, spend about $300-400 on a board and a CPU to put a big boost in the otherwise fine system. I'd like to keep as much of the parts I'd get now for any future upgrades (like the Dell 2001FP I bought with a big-time student discount :D  ). I want a relatively quiet unit with SMP and 64-bit capabilities. The fact that the P-D 9xxs and A64 X2s have almost the same TDP is a good thing.

I am willing to spend something like $1000-1200 on the computer as I have already gotten said monitor.

Oh and one last thing- this unit is going to be on 24/7 and is NOT going to be overclocked (or overclocked very much.)
February 23, 2006 2:33:04 PM

wait for m2 its gonna be the new flagship socket from amd like A was!
February 23, 2006 2:34:33 PM

Go with the pentium extreme edition of you need massive threading.
February 23, 2006 2:57:47 PM

no dude he should wait m2 is gonna be sweet when they fix the bugs with the mem controller
February 23, 2006 3:16:29 PM

Quote:
<snipped> I hardly play any games at all, in fact I run Linux. <snipped> I do a lot of office-app-type multitasking and some coding. I do a fair bit of compiling, which takes a fast CPU to do in any length of time. It also bogs the system down considerably when you do that and I want to keep working when I compile.

<snipped> I want a relatively quiet unit with SMP and 64-bit capabilities. The fact that the P-D 9xxs and A64 X2s have almost the same TDP is a good thing.

I am willing to spend something like $1000-1200 on the computer as I have already gotten said monitor.

Oh and one last thing- this unit is going to be on 24/7 and is NOT going to be overclocked (or overclocked very much.)

For your type of use, i believe any CPU with 64bit support and multitasking support is good. Depending on how much you have left to spend at end you decide what velocity to buy. Maybe AMD is a better option in terms of heating and power comsumption as it works with lesser voltages, spends less electricity and produces less heat. Intel already uses DDR2 ram modules which are slightly better in terms of reusing them a couple of years later. Then there is that question that AMD will be changing the cpu slot type in a couple of months or so, but if you buy now with current configuration and assuming it works in the next couple of years, does it really matters?

You should bet from 2GB to 4GB RAM as you do a lot multitasking and compiling. The ram low latency isn't really a need but a good ram modules with heat sinks/dissipators should offer more stability since the system will be up and hot 24/7. Maybe DDR2 should be a better option for you now, despite DDR is still also a good option for this year.

A good motherboard like ASUS or other should have also your focus. Don't save much in here...

Consider buying also an UPS if it fits in your budget.

Looking back at the technology recent history, it changes a lot very fast. So, my personal bet is to buy what i need today, not the state-of-art, and upgrade some components in the following years until i need a brand new PC.

Hope this helps
a c 99 à CPUs
February 24, 2006 2:06:38 AM

After some looking, here goes:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 65nm ($334.00)
Motherboard: ASUS P5WD2 955X ($156.99)
RAM: Patriot 2x1GB 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 ($255.99)
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm 250GB 8MB cache SATA-300 ($104.99)
GPU: ASUS 6600LE Silencer 256MB w/DVI ($90.99)
Monitor: Dell 2001FP 20.1" (already bought, $509 with student discount)
Case: Cooler Master Cavalier mid-tower ATX ($59.99)
PSU: Antec SmartPower 500W modular ($63.99)
Opticals: Sony DVD burns-anything-round burner and DVD-ROM/CD-R/RW ($37.99 and $29.99)
Keyboard, mouse, speakers: I have these already.

What do you think? The total is a little under $1650.
February 24, 2006 2:17:14 AM

you sure you want that crappy gfx card?
a c 99 à CPUs
February 24, 2006 2:29:26 AM

I really don't intend on gaming- this computer will be running Linux. What reasonably-priced (<$150) quiet card would you recommend?
February 24, 2006 2:32:58 AM

some x1300's have passive cooling, try that.
February 24, 2006 2:34:26 AM

yeah get a 7800gt any type(i got the evga 7800gt co 470mhz for 390 cad) and ditch the deathstar hd and get a wd caviar SE 16 250gig 7200rmp

by the way they will still be making 939 parts 2 years from now, no new stuff but you can still upgrade.
a c 99 à CPUs
February 24, 2006 2:34:57 AM

I have had some horrid experiences with ATI's fglrx Linux driver. I am not going that route until they have made good drivers for a while like nVidia has.
a c 99 à CPUs
February 24, 2006 2:36:52 AM

The 7800s are a little rich for my tastes as they are about $300 on up. I could go for half of that, but all I really need in a graphics card is something that will allow me to run Xgl (hardware-accleerated OpenGL) on my computer without eating up a lot of CPU time and RAM.
February 24, 2006 2:46:22 AM

hm, normal 6600 should do it then.
February 24, 2006 2:47:06 AM

Since you aren't gaming that should be a good set-up for your needs. The large amount of RAM, especially at those timings and in sync with the FSB should give nice performance.

Since you are running Linux, you do not want any ATI X1xxx series graphics cards. The entire line doesn't have proper Linux drivers right now, which is really too bad, because the cards themselves are great. If you want a bit more graphics performance ASUS does offer a 6600GT Silencer. I'm not a big fan of passive graphics on mid-range graphics cards though since they can be a bit finicky. However, if you don't plan on gaming hours on end the chances of overheating are low. You will need to make sure you have enough air flow though.

Of course, if you really want quiet you could get one of those Antec Hybrid 550W PSUs, but the cost probably isn't worth it. Air flow will be an even bigger concern with Hybrid PSUs.

corvetteguy recommended a 16MB cache hard drive, but that's mainly for your own reassurance. Past 8MB, there is barely any performance benefit of more cache unless it's an extremely large 400GB+ hard drive.
February 24, 2006 2:50:32 AM

well then maybe a 6800gs or minimu a 6600gt, not the le which i've never heard of but is probably crap.

also seriously change that hard drive cause you said that it will be on all the time and that one you picked will crap out on you in a couple months.

the hd i mentioned above is good.
a c 99 à CPUs
February 24, 2006 2:52:02 AM

That case has a 120mm and 80mm fan in it, so it *should* be cool enough. The 65nm Pentium Ds run at about the same TDP as the X2s (95w vs. 89w) and I hear little about X2s overheating.

Point well taken about the 16MB cache- I kind of overlooked it. Will fix.
a c 99 à CPUs
February 24, 2006 3:07:35 AM

Yeah, I found a not-passive (a lot of people said they run hot) but decent 6600GT for about $15 more. It will do a lot better for me.

The WD Caviar has a much higher MTBF- thanks for the heads-up. I had a crappy stock Toshiba drive die on my notebook and it was not fun. I don't want to repeat that if I can avoid it!
February 24, 2006 3:08:30 AM

Quote:
After some looking, here goes:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 65nm ($334.00)
Motherboard: ASUS P5WD2 955X ($156.99)
RAM: Patriot 2x1GB 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 ($255.99)
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm 250GB 8MB cache SATA-300 ($104.99)
GPU: ASUS 6600LE Silencer 256MB w/DVI ($90.99)
Monitor: Dell 2001FP 20.1" (already bought, $509 with student discount)
Case: Cooler Master Cavalier mid-tower ATX ($59.99)
PSU: Antec SmartPower 500W modular ($63.99)
Opticals: Sony DVD burns-anything-round burner and DVD-ROM/CD-R/RW ($37.99 and $29.99)
Keyboard, mouse, speakers: I have these already.

What do you think? The total is a little under $1650.

Hey, an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ would totally dominate that thing.(IMHO) Get an X2 4200+ and an ASUS mobo NF4, and 2GB of ram, and it will fly.
February 24, 2006 3:16:48 AM

well if you don't want the 16mb cah there is an 8mb version the wd se 250gig.

also, there is a case that i got with mine that is cool in both senses of the word. It has a 140mm fan in the front with led's and a fake jet turbine that is mived by air, mesh drive slots, a 120mm fan in the back, and a clear side panel with space for 2 120mm fans or 2 80mm fans

aerocool engine 2

also check out the new case from aerocool with a 250mm fan on the side instead of the clear panel, and its not noisy like you'd think.

aerocool extremeengine 3t
February 24, 2006 3:23:44 AM

yeah i would also recomend either the 4200 or 4400, cause either will kick the intels. I know you want to upgrade but with conroe you'll have to buy a new mobo anyway so the only thing new you'll need is RAM if you get AMD. Is 2 years of crappier performance from an intel worth the price of new ddr2 ram when you upgrade, and by the the prices will be more reasonable since AMD will also use it.
February 24, 2006 4:33:36 AM

Quote:
yeah i would also recomend either the 4200 or 4400, cause either will kick the intels. I know you want to upgrade but with conroe you'll have to buy a new mobo anyway so the only thing new you'll need is RAM if you get AMD. Is 2 years of crappier performance from an intel worth the price of new ddr2 ram when you upgrade, and by the the prices will be more reasonable since AMD will also use it.

Intel pounds AMD ass in content creation.
February 24, 2006 4:34:45 AM

Quote:
well then maybe a 6800gs or minimu a 6600gt, not the le which i've never heard of but is probably crap.

also seriously change that hard drive cause you said that it will be on all the time and that one you picked will crap out on you in a couple months.

the hd i mentioned above is good.

My hitachi "deathstar" has functioned properly for over 5 months, even under the extreme amount of pressure and reformatting my crap motherboard has put it through. I can almost gurantee Hitachi's have fixed the darkstar series.
February 24, 2006 5:03:52 AM

Check the CPU sticky. It says the A64s are much better for comiling.
In two years, Intel will be well into DDR# use, so your ram will not be good.
BTW, Intel and Amd do not figure TDP the same way. For Amd, it is the max power the chip group could ever use. For Intel, it is based on UL definition, which is basicly 2/3rds load.
You can compare output @ this review They dont look very close to me.
February 24, 2006 9:23:14 AM

Quote:
The 7800s are a little rich for my tastes as they are about $300 on up. I could go for half of that, but all I really need in a graphics card is something that will allow me to run Xgl (hardware-accleerated OpenGL) on my computer without eating up a lot of CPU time and RAM.

They're getting close to $250 on the 7800 GTs (Mine will be about that net once I get my rebate).

However, that's not what he's looking for. I think you should look around at something like a 6600 GT might do you a bit better, and the fans on these are fairly quiet.

I'd recomend going with a Athlon 3800+ X2. With the M2 platform coming soon, processor upgrades will eventualy drop in price for the 939 platform. Meanwhile, it will probably get what you need to get done for quite a while, and a 4800+ X2 can probably be had on the cheap in a year or two if you realy need more. I certaintly don't see a 2+ year life span being a dead end, and the M2 platform won't see dramatic performance benifits till they break out the .065 process, which isn't happening this year most likely.

And, as many have said, Intel likes to make you buy new stuff, so you'll likely have to replace the motherboard, and probably upgrade the memory for higher speed as well (which is what AMD is waiting for in the first place).
a c 99 à CPUs
February 24, 2006 11:22:39 AM

Okay, once I thought things over:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ($356.00)
Motherboard: Abit K8N-SLi nF4 ($117.99- HIGHLY recommended by one of the guys in my LUG)
RAM: G.Skill 2x1GB 2.5-3-3-6 DDR400 ($150.99)
Monitor: Dell 2001FP ($509.00 w/discount)
Graphics: Leadtek PX6600 256MB w/DVI OpenGL 2.0 ($109.00)
HDD: WD2500YD 250GB 16MB cache 7200rpm SATA-300 ($105.00)
Case: Cooler Master Cavalier mid-tower ATX 120mm & 80mm fans ($59.99)
PSU: Antec SmartPower 500W ATX12v x2 modular ($63.99)
Opticals: Sony DVD burner, DVD-ROM/CD-RW

How does this look now? I made sure my GPU could do OpenGL 2.0 so that Xgl would work well.
February 24, 2006 11:23:38 AM

Quote:

They're getting close to $250 on the 7800 GTs (Mine will be about that net once I get my rebate).

However, that's not what he's looking for. I think you should look around at something like a 6600 GT might do you a bit better, and the fans on these are fairly quiet.

I'd recomend going with a Athlon 3800+ X2. With the M2 platform coming soon, processor upgrades will eventualy drop in price for the 939 platform. Meanwhile, it will probably get what you need to get done for quite a while, and a 4800+ X2 can probably be had on the cheap in a year or two if you realy need more. I certaintly don't see a 2+ year life span being a dead end, and the M2 platform won't see dramatic performance benifits till they break out the .065 process, which isn't happening this year most likely.

And, as many have said, Intel likes to make you buy new stuff, so you'll likely have to replace the motherboard, and probably upgrade the memory for higher speed as well (which is what AMD is waiting for in the first place).

Intel has guaranteed the new 975 i think it is chipset to be conroe capable.
a c 99 à CPUs
February 24, 2006 11:30:19 AM

Actually they have not. The 965 will, the 975 won't.
February 24, 2006 12:26:30 PM

Quote:

Motherboard: Abit K8N-SLi nF4 ($117.99- HIGHLY recommended by one of the guys in my LUG)

How does this look now? I made sure my GPU could do OpenGL 2.0 so that Xgl would work well.

That is much better. Much more bang for the buck.
February 24, 2006 12:30:26 PM

Quote:
Actually they have not. The 965 will, the 975 won't.

Where have they guaranteed what socket will work?
a c 99 à CPUs
February 24, 2006 12:36:34 PM

I saw it in one of the threads here and also on a few HW sites. So it might be true, might not, like the whole Dell AMD thing.
February 24, 2006 3:59:01 PM

Quote:

Looks pretty good. I might recomend the Hyundai L90D+ as a good LCD gaming monitor for under $300 and save a bit if money, but monitors can be personal things.

I'd poke around a bit on the video card thing, I think Newegg had a few good deals on 6600GTs and 6800GSs for around that price range, which might be a bit better, but that certaintly isn't a bad setup.

Off handed question, what's the difference between the 2500YD and the 2500KS? I have the KS and it's a 250GB SATA II with 16 MB, I thought the YD wasn't SATA II when I looked (It's the special eddition RAID version I think). Either way, WD is a great HD (All the WD HDs I've ever owned over the past 10 years still work to this day)
February 24, 2006 9:58:07 PM

5 mmonths isn't long at all, my seagate has been working for 8 years, and had lots of longs durations, and thats in a crappy case with no fan except the psu fan, and with the overwhelming evidence against it, i wouldn't chance getting one.
February 24, 2006 10:22:10 PM

Quote:
You have to be more specific when you say "Max" because I can't play F.E.A.R. at the "Max" on my setup with desirable framerates.
February 24, 2006 10:48:45 PM

if u are not in a hurry I also would recomend to wait for the new AMD socket :wink:
it's going to be more upgradable and as I always say, patience is gold 8)
February 25, 2006 1:22:15 AM

Quote:
5 mmonths isn't long at all, my seagate has been working for 8 years, and had lots of longs durations, and thats in a crappy case with no fan except the psu fan, and with the overwhelming evidence against it, i wouldn't chance getting one.

He said it would die in a few months.
February 25, 2006 1:23:13 AM

Quote:
You have to be more specific when you say "Max" because I can't play F.E.A.R. at the "Max" on my setup with desirable framerates.

0 AA, Full x16AS Filter, No Soft Shadows, all models/textures/sound on highest.
March 1, 2006 10:07:15 AM

Quote:

Are you sure you want a state-of-the-art CPU whose technology in actual motherboard architecture isn't yet proved to worth that money spent?
Personally i'd go for a single core cpu for a max $250.00.

Quote:

If you're not going to play much (or do 'top playing') why to buy a SLI ready motherboard? Anyway the stated price is ok so this shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:

Isn't this a bit expensive for a monitor? Do you really need a 21" monitor or can it be a 17" for half the price?

Quote:

Please think again about those coolers. If the CPU isn't an hot Intel 3.8GHz or so, and if the PC is located in a cold room with A/C maybe these fans are not so necessary.
A 500W PSU is a good thing to support 4 or 5 hard drives, a really hi power consuming Intel CPU and/or "lots" of OC over 4GHz!
Personally i have a 300W with 2 hard drives (stripped), a 6600GT and an Intel 530 OC'ed to 3.75GHz. I have the CPU fan and a small 80x80 extra quite fan that i bought for $15.00.

Just my 2 cents...
.- Luis Duarte
March 1, 2006 11:40:48 AM

Quote:

Are you sure you want a state-of-the-art CPU whose technology in actual motherboard architecture isn't yet proved to worth that money spent?
Personally i'd go for a single core cpu for a max $250.00.

Quote:

If you're not going to play much (or do 'top playing') why to buy a SLI ready motherboard? Anyway the stated price is ok so this shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:

Isn't this a bit expensive for a monitor? Do you really need a 21" monitor or can it be a 17" for half the price?

Quote:

Please think again about those coolers. If the CPU isn't an hot Intel 3.8GHz or so, and if the PC is located in a cold room with A/C maybe these fans are not so necessary.
A 500W PSU is a good thing to support 4 or 5 hard drives, a really hi power consuming Intel CPU and/or "lots" of OC over 4GHz!
Personally i have a 300W with 2 hard drives (stripped), a 6600GT and an Intel 530 OC'ed to 3.75GHz. I have the CPU fan and a small 80x80 extra quite fan that i bought for $15.00.

Just my 2 cents...
.- Luis Duarte

X2's are relatively proven, although not many multithreaded apps have arrived. SLi boards are higher quaity and have more features than other boards. Considering he is doing some serious work, it makes sense he might need 1600x1200 resolutions on a 21 inch monitor. Also, he might want a new CPU cooler to keep things quiet.
!