CD/DVD Write Speed Determination?

August 28, 2004 6:38:59 PM

How does one set the maximum write speed for a CD-RW / DVD+RW writer? Prior
to getting my new computer (with a 12x DVD writer) I had purchased a number
of 4x DVDs, both Rs and RWs. Can the writer determine the DVD's rated speed
from the disk itself, or must it be set? I know that in burning a data CD or
DVD there is a speed option, but I am concerned about CD-RW / DVD+RW writing
in packet writing mode. Would appreciate any info. BTW, I am using Nero 6.
August 28, 2004 6:39:00 PM

The writer determines the speed by reading imformation on the cd and by a
database in the drive's firmware. Example, I have an NEC2500a flashed with a
hacked firmware. I can now write at 8x on 4x rated Fugifilm dvd-r's.

!