CD/DVD Write Speed Determination?

How does one set the maximum write speed for a CD-RW / DVD+RW writer? Prior
to getting my new computer (with a 12x DVD writer) I had purchased a number
of 4x DVDs, both Rs and RWs. Can the writer determine the DVD's rated speed
from the disk itself, or must it be set? I know that in burning a data CD or
DVD there is a speed option, but I am concerned about CD-RW / DVD+RW writing
in packet writing mode. Would appreciate any info. BTW, I am using Nero 6.
1 answer Last reply
More about write speed determination

    The writer determines the speed by reading imformation on the cd and by a
    database in the drive's firmware. Example, I have an NEC2500a flashed with a
    hacked firmware. I can now write at 8x on 4x rated Fugifilm dvd-r's.

    "Cooter" <cooter@msn.com> wrote in message
    > How does one set the maximum write speed for a CD-RW / DVD+RW writer?
    > Prior to getting my new computer (with a 12x DVD writer) I had purchased a
    > number of 4x DVDs, both Rs and RWs. Can the writer determine the DVD's
    > rated speed from the disk itself, or must it be set? I know that in
    > burning a data CD or DVD there is a speed option, but I am concerned about
    > CD-RW / DVD+RW writing in packet writing mode. Would appreciate any info.
    > BTW, I am using Nero 6.

DVD CD-Rom Windows XP