Why does windows SLOW down while installing, extracting, copying etc..

Hi everyone,

I have an enigma with my PC. When i try to extract big files, copy, or install (games or anything) my pc becomes irresponsive and generally very SLOW. For sometimes I even cannot browse on internet, because firefox becomes very unstable.

Recently i bought Assasin's creed brotherhood and while i was installing my pc was almost usseless. After installation i started the game and it was NOT playable, even the menu was usseless (cursor was very laggy, and impossible to control, and everything worked maybe at 2-3Fps)

Strange thing is when i start task manager (c-a-d) my cpu ussage is at max 25% and memory at 55 max)

Please notice that I can play assasin's creed 2 all maxed at 1920x1080.

Please help, this is driving me crazy :)

Intel Core 2 Quad 6700 (2,66GHz)
ASUS P5P43TD Motherboard
2GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Seagate Baracuda 160GB (system) and WD Caviar 320GB (storrage)
Saphire Ati Radeon 5770 1GB
4 answers Last reply
More about windows slow installing extracting copying
  1. Run a full virus and spyware scan to start with I'd use a few different programs, maybe a boot CD scanner like Avira has.

Go though Add/Remove programs and check for anything you installed as a demo or utilities you don't use. You can check for programs that use the CPU, if there is nothing running, you should be at 0 or close to 0 CPU.
  2. Sounds like the write / read function on the hard drive could be going. Test the hard drive and make sure that it passes the test. Seagate makes tools for that test. Hang is correct, make sure that no virus is present also.
  3. tank said:
    Sounds like the write / read function on the hard drive could be going. Test the hard drive and make sure that it passes the test. Seagate makes tools for that test. Hang is correct, make sure that no virus is present also.

I was thinking drive issue, but that would not account for such a high CPU usage, it should just be slow. Unless the thing is trying to re-read the sectors several times. When I see slow drive issues, it's usually just odd slowness, and the CPU and RAM look normal.
  4. hej guys, i fixed the issue with assassin's creed b. (uninstaled both a.c.2 and a.c.b., deleted everything and than installed a.c.b. and it works like a charm)

but there is still an issue why pc stalls on installing, extracting etc (mainly hard drive havy activities)

- nop there isn't any virus present (i have nod32, and everything is clean), cpu usage is about 1-5% usually (this 25% was while assassins creed was running) and windows was installed recently.

- i suspect too this could be an issue with hard drive, therefore i am buying wd black 1tb and will keep you posted how it will run on this drive.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7