Maxtor External Hardrive Help?

Razh304

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Hey am a newb at these forums, ok so i bought a Maxtor external firewire hardrive from ebay, and i connected it up to my laptop, my pc detects it but it doesnt show when u click my computer, so i think i need the cd rom but the guy didnt send the cd with the hardrive, can anyone help me?

p.s. ive tried communicatin with the guy i bought this off but am gettin no replies, what a fool!

sturm

Splendid
No cd required.
If the drive wasnt formatted or partitioned when you bought you will need to go into disk management and partition and format.
right click 'My Computer' and select manage. go down to disk management. This will show all the drives connected. If the drive shows up you can right click in the area to the right of the drive name and make your partitions and format.
If its not showing in disk management then check under device management and see if it shows up there.
get back with what you find.

Razh304

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
No cd required.
If the drive wasnt formatted or partitioned when you bought you will need to go into disk management and partition and format.
right click 'My Computer' and select manage. go down to disk management. This will show all the drives connected. If the drive shows up you can right click in the area to the right of the drive name and make your partitions and format.
If its not showing in disk management then check under device management and see if it shows up there.

waw that worked thanks alot i luv ya, now i can use my hardrive wooo! :D

Terr0rFish

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
No cd required.

sorry for hijacking this topic, but i sort of have the same problem.
with one exception, my harddrive has data on it that i need. i used
it in an old pc that broke (psu) and since my new pc only has SATA
controlers and the hdd is a IDE133, i bought an external case for it.
the drive shows up in disk manager, but i dont wanna format it, as id
obviously loose the data on it.
is there anything else i can do to get it working ?
(external case doesnt need driver installation under winxp)

any help apreciated :)

ps: this is the hdd case and i got a WD80 drive

Terr0rFish

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
well its a dell :lol:

i only use this one for browsing the net and office stuff.
i cant open it without giving away the warranty :?
i got the case too, so i kinda wanna use it lol
i might have to put the hdd into another pc.. burn 80 gigs
of data :( and format it in the case.
i was hoping tho that i dont have to..