Microsoft may have a new policy on upgrades

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
According to this article Microsoft now considers udgrading the motherboard and processor to be a new computer and requires a new license. If this turns out to be true you can bet on some serious backlash. That seems like a smart move... piss off the enthusiast community. I guess if you secretly want to see Linux become mainstream.

I will post the link here:

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=3634

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Well this only applies to OEM copies so if you buy a retail copy you wouldn't really need to worry about it. Plus it allows an exception for failure (so my mb failed, prove it didn't). Not a big deal unless you are a business who outsources their IT work (and does upgrades of PC's rather than buying a whole new system) for you IMO.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I have two words for you Microsoft:

FUCK and YOU.

I have read the press release, and it seems to be true. Well that's fine Mr. Gates. No, I mean it, that's OK. Yep. I'll keep buying OEM Windows XP for every PC I build (and now upgrade) but what you have done is ensure that from my end of things, you will miss out on at least $20,000 of income each year, because I will no llonger be buying (or recommending) MICROSOFT OFFICE, or MICROSOFT PROJECTS, or VISO, or any other microsoft product.

So get this: you just screwed yourself because you're a tightass dickwad!

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
What micrsoft dosn't have enough money?

Between the EU rulings, and now the ECIS complaint, it'll be a wonder if Microsoft will be able to recover to what they were a year ago. Then again competition has grown since then--again proving these embiciles just want money from the big boys.

Mobius: Sorry you feel that way, but new Motherboards ARE new computers. I think this is what MS should have done ages ago. Now--they should allow you to transfer the license to a new or replaced motherboard, as long as it is invalidated for the original one.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I think it would apply to both. They sent a memo to oem builders because they do a majority of the upgrades for the average user. I have not read anything that says it only applies to oem or excludes retail versions.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I did do some poking around on the internet. And it seems to only be a OEM EULA situation. This still bothers me because I only buy OEM versions. OEM $90.00 versus Retail $199.99 difference, a pretty box.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
According to this article Microsoft now considers udgrading the motherboard and processor to be a new computer and requires a new license. If this turns out to be true you can bet on some serious backlash. That seems like a smart move... piss off the enthusiast community. I guess if you secretly want to see Linux become mainstream.

I will post the link here:

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=3634

That is technically how XP works as well. That is part of what activation is all about. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

IRanNaked

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
HHAHAA I saw we all burn as many copy's of m$ and go to there warehouse and throw hem at people to have. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU EVEN BUY MICROSHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE!??!?!?! it's a waste of time to even THINK about buying it.

BTW pirates rule the world

ttocsmij

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

Pirates? Sure ... the world of video games ... and their mom pays for everything else (food, rent, cab fare, etc.). :heink:

All this nonsense over pirates is how the lawyers got all this EULA nonsense shoved down everyone's throat in the first place. If it wasn't for the idiots and Chinese marketing copies of movies and Windoze we wouldn't have this HDMI and DRM nonsense either. See the theme?!?! Miscreants and trouble-makers are why all the rest of us have to pay through the nose while our rights are impinged on in the name of "stopping piracy"!! In case you are wondering, elbert, we don't have the good old days because of folks like "hetrotsnude".