Virtual machine stuff

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hello, I have a few questions regarding VM and W7.

1) If I wanted to use a new OEM license of W7, will it work (activate) on a VM?

2) Is there a way to install W7 on an unactivated (don't ask, stupid licenses) VM Vista system while preserving all the data and settings? (or at least most of them)

3) If not, is there a way to do the user migration from the unactivated virtual Vista?

I'd appreciate any input on that since I have very few experience with any virtual machines. Speaking of which, it's Parallels Desktop 6 (Mac user that still needs to use Windows >.> )

Thanks.

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
The Microsoft told me something so useless that I can't remember. It was about licenses and how VM is different from a regular PC. I did not however ask them about the OEM license, since I already know the answer: "OEM is supposed to be sold with a new computer, its purpose is not upgrading an older system, running on a virtual machine or as a second OS. We have other licenses for that"

See, all of the question are . . . well, not entirely OK legal-wise.

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks. Well, the thing is, I can't "try and see", because that way I could suddenly find myself without a job. ^^ But yeah, I guess I could just copy the VM and try out. But then again, I have very limited time for that.